1st day of Citalopram 20mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey

Well, I went to my GP today and was prescribed the above. I took the tablet at 11.30am and I feel really weird.

I feel spaced out and I keep yawning. Also my jaw seems to be quite tight? Has anyone else had similar side effects?

Not feeling too great to be honest. I am at work and I can't concentrate, hence the reason I am on here...

Hope my mood lifts soon. I know its not an instant thing but if the SE last a while I will have to stop them as I can hardly keep my eyes open. I can't afford to sign off work for a few weeks :roll:

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have been taking 20mg since December 09. I experienced similiar side effects to start with but they will subside. Don't be alarmed if you start to feel agitated and anxious as this is also a side effect.For me it took 2-3 weeks for the side effects to settle down and I started to feel better than I had in years.

Good luck, I hope you can stick with it.

• Posted

Expect to feel sick, with headache, tiredness & blurry vision for about 3 days. I found I lost my appetite due to feeling sick but that eating anyway helped get rid of the sick feeling.

Try and spend time with family/friends for these 1st few days til the side effects pass.

I am nearly 4 weeks in and dont feel any different to my normal depressed self. But I have managed to go back to work and plod on as usual even though I feel like crap.

Hoping for some kind of lift or optimism soon, but not sure if the pills actually do this? or just level u out abit

• Posted

My Dad has just been given this medication and I'm troubled because after 3 days he is having hallucinations when waking up from a nap, he can't sleep for longer than a couple of hours, he feels sickly and can't face food (which is really unlike him!). I'm going to weather the storm with him, but I'm not sure what to say to make him feel better. I also note that some people don't feel better after 4 weeks!! sad
  • Posted

All these SSRIs seem to have different effects on different people. The important thing is to give them time to work - 4 to 6 weeks - and then to go back to your GP if there is no improvement and ask for an alternative. Sometimes it's really difficult because some of the initial side-effects can be a real pain. However, there is usually one that works for the individual so it's well worthwhile going through the early problems.
  • Posted

I have stopped taking them, I had a huge panic attack at a camping festival over the weekend and although I am no stranger to panic attacks, this was completely different. It started just as England was about to kick off - My whole body was on fire and I had the most horrendous taste/pins and needles feeling on my tongue and throughout my body, I almost passed out! My boyfriend called a paramedic and I had to have oxygen to be brought back round. That was my weekend ruined as I was a shaking nervous wreck.

I am going to speak to my GP today and see what the alternative is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.