1st day on citalopram please post back

Posted , 3 users are following.

this is my first day on citalopram and so far im feeling quite strange. i've been on other anti d's- prozac, zoloft, paxil- when i was younger i had an eating disorder and it was trial and error when it came to my meds and it was the zoloft that finally helped. been diagnosed with depression by my gp, who was very helpful and supportive, after my husband said he thought i needed more help than he could give me. was apprehensive about going really as i was sectioned with my annorexia and do not want that to happen again but thankfully i have been referred to community psych nurses and given these tabs. i am on 20mg although the doc said i am likely to be increased soon but for a starting point 20 would be best. i am feeling quite shaky and fuzzy right now, though from experience i know this is pretty normal. im also very hot but my skin is cold as if i have a fever. i really want this to work and i have plenty support from my best friend and my husband and i am so grateful for that but i need to talk to people who know what im talking about (and not just psych professionals) so please if you want to talk to me then reply. thankyou!! xxxxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You'll find lots of advice and accounts of experiences on this site. You'll find people who think C is the best thing since sliced bread and those who wouldn't touch it again with a bargepole. The truth of the matter is that you will have to find out by experience if it's going to help you. C seems to be a fairly mild antidepressant compared to Prozac and Seroxat. I found it worked more slowly and didn't have the unwelcome side-effects such as excessive confidence and \"lightning bolts\" through the head. Nevertheless it did work for me and I would recommend anyone else giving it the chance to become effective. If you just want to talk about it then that's fine. It's probably just as helpful to do that than to take the drug.
  • Posted

Second day and apart from not sleeping at all last night and getting a bit confused at times i have been feeling ok. this isnt like the other ones i've had, like john said it isnt as strong and it doesnt hit you like a bulldozer in the same way. i have been reading alot of experiences and getting to know what other people are getting from C. I will persevere but im not sure how this will go. time will tell...
  • Posted

Lack of sleep is very common in the early stages of all of these SSRIs. You have to give it time to settle down and produce the effect you want. It may take up to six weks to get there but the end result is worth having. Please persist through the difficult times because the rewards can be really worth it. If it doesn't happen then is the time to consider other possibilities but give it a fair try.
  • Posted

I agree with what John says. I have been on Cit for 20 weeks and it does take a while to get into your system.

The tablets are not an instant fix and there are other things you can do as well to help yourself improve. Google search 'anxiety no more' and 'living life to the full'. They help me with strategies to overcome how I was feeling and gave me an understanding of how to progress.

Hope they help you too

All the best

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.