1wk 4d Post TKR - Is this normal?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm posting here for my dad (age 55), he had a right TKR 2/26/15 and has been recovering at home (discharged from hospital on 3/1/15). From the physical standpoint, the physical therapist says his progress is excellent compared to what she is used to and he is able to walk with a walker with minimal pain. He is not taking any pain meds, just a blood thinner (prescribed by the hospital post-op as a preventative measure for blood clots) and his Lisinopril for high blood pressure which he has taken daily the past 3 years. I have a question however about the symptoms and what everyone here has been going through early on post op. He has changed quite a bit mentally from what I am used to. He gets very tired very quickly and gets very irritable at times. He keeps saying he just wants it over with and wants to feel normal again (mentally) but I am worried about whether this is a normal feeling? He says that it almost feels like he has ADHD where he cannot focus or concentrate and he is very forgetful which is not normal for him at all. The at home nurse and physical therapist don't seem too concerned when prompted with these symptoms and say he will feel normal again in a few weeks. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Please share your experience and advice on what you recommend to help him through this feeling. Thank you!

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Sounds normal to me.  Very early days and your dad will still be getting over the trauma that's been caused to his body...and his mind.  Everything is so much more tiring and brain taxing in the early days, and there's the frustration of not being able to drive and a loss of freedom.  He sounds like he's doing fairly well, although you're normally only on a walker for the first day and then on crutches.

You just need to be sensitive to what he's been thorough...it's a difficult and sometimes long recovery from major surgery.  It's very wearing trying to do the exercises too...and some days will be better than others.

Patsy. 26 weeks post-TKR

• Posted

Totally normal.  We gave all been there.  He will feel better at the six week mark I think.  It us an awful operation at any age.  Wish him well x
  • Posted

He is clearly doing well, and I really don't think you have anything to concern yourself about.

Faced with this type of surgery many people just switch-off and concentrate on getting themselves back to full strength.

This can be a little alarming for those around the patient, but the main concern should be that the healing process is proceeding well, and if it as in your father's case, I'm fairly certain that his mental condition will not be far behind. 

• Posted

Don't worry! Everything sounds to be going fine.  It is normal to get tired after major surgery and it is frustrating/irritating not to be able to do everything one is used to.  Also he probably feels that he has lost some of his indepence as he won't be able to drive/go out on his own.  Things will get better.

• Posted

Hi I to am a career and believe me its hard to watch the ones you love struggle with the after effects of this operation. Sounds like he is doing great my hubby 6 weeks post op tomorrow is still on pain killers but is walking about i think really well, he does get extremely moody and frustrated and tired sleeping is a problem at first everything is a struggle, the jiggers as we call it in the leg is annoying for him! has he mentioned this Ice packs and hot water bottle worked wonders for my hubby, but I reckon thats all normal for this operation everyone copes differently but don't forget all his independance has gone, he can't drive, go shopping or even out at first with out a hanger on ! in our case me as I'm nearest and dearest, my advice just be there keep positive for him and this forum offers loads of information and support.

• Posted

Hi there, when you have this op it is like an emotional collapse away from normality and all that you are. I was a mental wreck for 6months and am only now beginning to get back to nomality. Try not to worry too much things will get back to normal but it takes a long time. I wish you well
  • Posted

The American way of writing the dates foxed me for a moment!  Yes, perfectly normal at this early stage.  The tiredness is probably caused by lack of sleep, which is common to nearly everyone after this operation.  You say he isn't taking any pain killers. . is that because he has no pain or is he just trying to be brave, or perhaps there's a medical reason?  If none of those, then my advice would be to take pain killers, which helps so much to be able to concentrate on the necessary exercises.  Still walking with a walker sounds possibly that he is nervous of walking with crutches, and most of us had to overcome initial fear of putting weight on the new knee, negotiating steps etc. . The physical therapist will address this I'm sure. . . I think most of us on this forum have felt depressed, surprised at the level of pain and frustrated by the inability to live life normally . .and perhaps  being a man he hasn't had the option of a really good sob occasionally.  Believe me this is a very hard operation, and what he needs is a lot of love and understanding.  It's very early days.  If he could read this forum himself, I;m sure it would do him a lot of good, because he would see that he is NOT alone, that we have all been there, and that as far as I know we are all finally coming through it  . . .

• Posted

"A really ood sob.' oh yes, I had one. Just the one but my daughters have never forgotten or forgiven. Labelled hysterical diva for life now cry We mustn't  expect others to understand without having limped a mile in our shoes redface
  • Posted

It's tiredness and lack of proper sleep. Never really relaxed or comfortable. Not driving or being active. He's impatient like me I'm 56 and some days feel like that. Also tablets can have side effects. I was and at six weeks am extremely forgetful even after a few minutes. Have to write it down. Even wondered why I was in so much pain and realised I had forgotten to take my tablets they were sitting on the side! The professionals have seen it and know we will be normal but when you're going through it it isn't our normal. We all want to get back to where we were physically and mentally but our bodies and brains recover when they are ready. I reckon the brain is working so hard just adapting that it loses capacity to retain information. Go back if worried but think like most people all will be ok in time.
  • Posted

He isn't taking pain killers which surprises me.  If he is in pain and trying to work thru it,  that might account for the irritability.   Has he been able to sleep?  Sleep deprivation has caused me some mental lapses.  I'm 57 at 7 weeks out.

At 4wks he has a ways to go still.

• Posted

First of all, thank you to everyone so much for your kind words and advice, this has been such a hard experience for my dad and me as well. It seems each day he gets slightly better than the last. He's finding more he has a little more energy each day, but still becomes very exhausted after any mental or physical activity.

For those who asked, he has not taken the pain killers since he was discharged simply because he does not like the idea of them - and I did not want to push him to do something he does not want to do. It's hard seeing him like this because his personality was always so positive and uplifting and happy before the surgery, however he is low and very short with answers. I am doing every thing I can to keep him comfortable and happy, and treating him with the utmost care and keeping him stress-free. It helps to try to put myself in his shoes as if I were the patient.

He did get the staples removed today and I know he was very nervous about that yesterday, but it went well, only 2 out of the 27 caused him to cringe. Right now he is comfortably sleeping.

Again, thank you everyone so much who chimed in with support and advice, this is a wonderful support board and it helps so much to know we are not alone!!

• Posted

Glad he is a little better.   Staples out will make him more comfortable.  The thing is with the pain relief is that I know I couldn't have done all the physio work without them in the early days.  I don't like medication myself but after this op it would is vital I think.   i needed the codeine element in order to sleep myself.  The thing is whilst sleeping at night you are healing.  No sleep, less healing.  Has he spoken to the GP who I am sure would suggest medication.   I hope he changes his mind.   It is only in the sort term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.