2 1/2 weeks since surgery and still tired?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed 2 1/2 weeks ago and although I'm recovering well I still get really tired, I can be busy for a couple of hours and then feel shattered for the rest of the day, I expected to be like this after the op but thought I would have more energy by now,is this normal?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy. I am only 5 days post op and although I feel I should still be resting, I have been doing a little more rah day. I have been told time after time from my drs that the recovery period can take anything from 4 weeks to 8 weeks. Please don't push yourself too much. I think we may underestimate the severity of the surgery. I was told it is a major operation and you need to take things easy. Make the most of the recovery time and don't push yourself. I suddenly have loads of energy today but I have decided to use that energy for when I really need it. Like making a cup of tea or going to the toilet. It's perfectly normal to still feel this way. I am struggling to do 20 minutes on my feet without feeling like I've run a marathon. Rest when you can. I hope this gets better for you in time but the only one that can help you is yourself and if you don't feel so good. Don't feel bad for having some time out and a lay down, even a sleep.

All the best

Sonia xx

• Posted

Thankyou, I have also been doing a bit more each day for the last week to get myself ready for going back to work tomorrow. Think I'm going to be very tired this week. Hope you continue to do well.x

• Posted

Hi  Lucy,

i had my operation 4 weeks ago and find that I still feel tired after a full day's work. I'm sure it will get better. I have no pain and I am able to eat almost anything.

• Posted

Thanks, it's good to hear others feel the same. Good that you are eating ok and there's no pain. I keep getting little bits of pain but I think it's just when I've done too much. Im going back to work tomorrow, think I will be in bed early every night this week.

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

You've just had major surgery.  Don't let the small incisions on the outside fool you!  It will take 5-6 weeks for these incisions to heal and can take up to 6 months for the inside stitches to heal and to regain your stamina.  This of course, depends on one's age and physical condition.

Your body is telling you to give yourself time to heal...please follow its promptings to assure a good recovery! xx

• Posted

Thanks, I do keep forgetting about the insides still healing, I just keep thinking the outsides are looking much better now so I should start to have more energy. I need to remember that I need to rest when my body tells me to. I'm going back to work tomorrow so just hoping that I'm not going back too soon.x

• Posted

You're welcome!  I was so sick before my gallbladder was removed that it took me nearly 2 years to regain my stamina--not to frighten you--I was 60.  

I went back to work after 3 weeks and worked half days for a week.  I should have (easy to say now, of course) stayed home a month and went back to half days for 2 weeks!

But, I had nearly lost my job.  My firm advanced me 80 hours of sick leav during it.  I had to pay it back, of course, but I was very grateful to them!

Just keep taking care of your precious self! xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.