2 days and counting

Posted , 12 users are following.

Tuesday morning is it! Tkr on the left. Any words of advice for the first 24-48 hours postop? And only a question I would ask in this forum, you aren't able to get to the washroom right away right? So....

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's over! Surgery finished by noon EST and I'm safely moved to my room. No pain at all for a couple of hours because of the epidural however it has worn off now and I'm experiencing moderate pain especially above the knee cap. Maybe where the tourniquet was that many people have talked about? Anyways the nurse has assured me that an IV injection is available if I feel the need. Even though physio didn't make it today because I came to my room too late my nurse is going to help me to pivot to a chair. Making strides! Will update again soon.
    • Posted

Great to hear from you...it sounds as if you are doing well, especially if you are already sitting in a chair.  Make sure that you ask for pain relief when you need it, and try to move a bit, if you can.  Also, ask for ice to help with the swelling.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Patsy

• Posted

So happy to hear you are out of surgery and doing well!

How sweet of you to post here so soon after your BIG EVENT!!!

I had that tourniquet pain! Nobody seemed to understand how PAINFUL it was! They kept asking about my KNEE PAIN. If I HAD knee pain it was COMPLETELY OBLITERATED by my tourniquet pain! It felt like someone shoved a STEAK KNIFE in my thigh!

It took about six weeks for that to go away. I'm glad yours is just moderate pain there!

IV meds are GREAT! Get them as needed early on because at home you won't be able to have them.

Try to rest. I never succeeded doing that, but I think it is a good idea!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Sending prayers for NO PAIN and lots of REST!

• Posted

Glad your op is over and wishing you well on your recovery. Take it one day at a time, take whatever medication they offer you, exercise, elevate, rest, ice and be guided by medical profession (and all the folk on this forum!!). 

There is always someone on here to offer advice, it's a godsend! 

• Posted

Hello everyone. Well I'm going into my 2nd day post op and life is certainly interesting. I had PT in the AM yesterday that went well, tolerable on the pain scale.

Then the afternoon session came. What a difference! We did a few stairs, scary as anything I've ever done, then a significant walk down the hall. That went well but then I still had the excercises to do. I have never known such pain! That tourniquet band hurt so much, not my knee.

Anyways, after a good cry my doctor came in and we rearranged my meds and I was able to do a decent job excercising on my own that night.

So there's my venting. Much better night sleeping last night, going home after my second PT today. Anxious to be there. Ice, elevation and meds. My mantra for a while.

• Posted

Glad all went well for you and that you are now moving on, literally.  I had my pre-op today and will be in your position in just over 2 weeks' time eeeekkkkk.  Keep us updated!
    • Posted

hi deborah great that your over your op and doing well by all accounts  it still annoys me how doctors expect you to excersise to the optium with only basic meds !!!! its just crazy for god sake we have had our bones just severed i know that sounds abit harsh but its the truth , im so glad you got better meds it will make you alot more comfortable and easier to do your excersises when your home it might be a good idea to go to your gp and get him to prescribe proper pain meds to get you through the next few weeks/months till you dont need them anymore   i found my own gp was fantastic to me over the last 3yrs when i went through so many ops he kept me sane  keep us posted love to hear how your doing x
    • Posted

Hi Deborah

You did well with the stairs, it seems.  It is scary, isn't it, as you don't know if your leg will take the weight!

Glad the doctor reassessed your mess.  You can't do things if you are in too much pain.

Glad you'll be home soon...but be careful back in your own environment...and try not to trip over the crutches.  I've done that a couple of times and boy does it hurt when you slam your bad leg down :-(

• Posted

Mess should read meds...don't you just love the iPad!
    • Posted

Your accomplishments are a whole day ahead of what mine were!

Did you have a nerve block?

Take things easy at home, and let family help you. Rest as much as you can!

So glad you will be heading HOME!!!

• Posted

You are all so wonderful with all of your encouragement. I know it's hard work but I know it will be worth it in a few months walking without pain.

I have a positive attitude for the day. Bring on PT!

• Posted

Well done Deborah! Lovely to see you posting. Don't overdo it. Rest is important for recovery too. Post when you can so we can see how you are doing.
  • Posted

Hello everyone. 5 days since surgery and I've been for a couple of days. Everyone was right about resting, I spend half the day sleeping! My doctor sends PT to the house 5 days in a row when you get home so I've been doing lots of hard work. 95 degree bend and graduating from the walker to a cane in a couple of days. Still a little unsure of my balance. Still no pain in my joint, just the band above it and that has gone down considerably. Taking the occassional pain pill plus meds before PT. I'm excited how things are going but being cautious, I know that backslides are a
    • Posted

wow pt to the house fab you are spoilt !!!! no way would we get that , god reading the system in other countries amazes me i think ireland is way way behind you all so happy things are going well for you deborah keep it going

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.