2 days in hospital diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, I'm 40 and was diagnosed in March of 2014 with first episode of diverticulitis. I was hospitalized 5 days, where I found out I was allergic to morphine and flagyl. Haven't had an episode since until this past Sunday. Very mild case, but was hospitalized cause it was my second episode, per doctor. Ate liquids first day, second day said I could eat unless it hurt my stomach. I've had mashed potatoes and this evening eggs. Haven't had BM since Monday morning, today is Wednesday. How long should I go before it's a concern. I have very mild pain, Tylenol takes care of it. I also would like to know if it's ok that I eat bread, eggs, and lean meat or should I wait?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Tanya - I have just sent you a message but made the mistake of saying this was a b.. of a condition...(it is) but that naughty word meant my reply has to go to the moderators to be checked...... slap on the wrist for me.  In that message I told you that I thought potato is a bit heavy for a first meal whether mashed or not; that fish and eggs are good as are light; but eggs can be binding so take something like fybogel every day (sachets) - my doctor prescribes it.  I was ill from Nov 2014 to July 2015 with ten bouts and ten lots of antibiotics in as many months.  Then a lady on this forum (Jaquline) told me about high strength Acidophilus from Holland and Barrett - in the UK - hopefully you can get similiar if you live elsewhere.  Mine has 20 billion friendly bacteria; one a day; store in fridge - have not missed one since July and have not been ill since I began taking them!! Not even a twinge; which I used to get a lot.  Avoid seeds, nuts, pip, and anything with skins like peas, sweetcorn and pulses.  Try foods one at a time so you can tell if one upsets you - with me it is garlic and spices; some cannot cope with onions; these reactive foods cause pain within a few hours NOT infections - it is the seeds, nuts, wholegrains etc that will get into those nasty pockets and sit and fester to cause an infections several days later.  Good luck; I think you will find this site very helpful - and those magic acidophilus pills.  I am not one to utter naughtly words; and shall be careful not to say naughty things in these pages (Sorry)...but the pain we get with this condition can make even a Saint use naughtly words>>!!!
  • Posted

Flagyl (metronidozole) made me sick in tablet form; though the intrevenous drip had been fine; so they put me on the nasty tasting liquid which I could cope with.  As the years past I tried the pills again; with food and was able to tolerate them.  But you say you were allergic; so I assume you mean a more violent reaction than sickness?  Also in the censored e mail I said I thought a liquid diet of things like liquid meal replacements and clear soups; would ideally need to go on for more than one day.  You need to give your gut time to rest; one day is not enough.  When I was in hospital first time in 2006 for a week; not a word was uttered about diet and I had to have food off the trolly like cottage pie (with peas; which of course have skins!!) and lasagne with tomatoes (with pips)....it was not til my mum paid for me to see a dietician that anyone spoke about foods to avoid....my new consultant tells me "low fibre; white everything; when you have inflammation and pain - then high fibre when you are well".
  • Posted

Tanya, main thing is you do not to want to have a continuous smoldering infection. I did and wound up with a perforation and emergency surgery this past June. I wore a bag for two months. Just had it reversed in August. If you continue to have pain and attacks, have the surgery electively. I am feeling so much better with that 12 inches of diseased colon gone. However emergency open surgery was not the ideal way to do this. I am 47 and otherwise in great health or I might not have done so well. 

Citrucel every day! You probably just haven't eaten enough yet. 

• Posted

Hello Kelly - what is Citrucel please?  You sure have had a rough time...glad you got the reversal; I have been told if I have to have surgery (it was heading that way after ten bouts in ten months) that a reversal would not be possible because of where the pockets are.  I only have twelve pockets/pouches - but acidophilus has helped me.  Is Citrucel a similar product?
    • Posted

Kelly (and Tanya)

I understand your grief, as I had the same, was granted the reversal after 8 months and have posted here many times; make sure you choose elective and not wait til it perforates. Emergency surgery is SO much worse......

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up