2 knee surgerys within 10months. V frustrated

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

I am not looking for a magic fix just somewhere I can vent and others will understand.

In oct 2013 I had my first knee op, a growth was removed, my knee cap realigned as it was dislocated due to the growth. My fat pad removed along with some cartilage, my tendons above the knee shaved down and the membrane fully removed above the knee. Some work on my collateral ligament also (think that's the right name) 

Anyway prior to this I was v fit and active. Training up to 6 times a week until the Pain made me slow down. I hoped the op would help me return to training but after a very long 6 month recovery I started presenting more problems. 

After another MRI the dr found I had plica syndrome and advised a 2nd op. I had that in July and while he was in there he also had to shave some of my knee cap down sad so I am now not allowed to run again or do any high impact training. 

I am increasing my walks well but still plagued with frustration. I am only 30 and feel like a huge stop button has been put on a important part of my personal self. Does that sound dramatic? I feel like  a complete pain saying this to anyone else as the growth could have been something much more serious and others have larger problems than not been able to run again!!! 

Everything takes ages, housework and I have been off work for a eternity now. It's effecting my children and my poor husband who's been v supportive but I know I must be driving him mad too. 

In some ways I almost feel I was better without he ops sad 

Please does it get better?? I just need some normality back 

So sorry to let all that out!!! 

Rach 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The mental side can actually be as crippling as the physical. People who have never experienced severe pain can't relate to it therefore don't have empathy. As I have ment ioned before, 12 years of moderate to extremely high level pain,much of it at night disrupting sleep, has taught me that discussing it with the average person is just more frustration. I guess you could equate it with Enstien discussing his theory with music major. Try to developed a sense of humor, look for something new and beautiful every day. It won't solve your problems but might make them easier to live. Don't be afraid to discuss it with youredical professionals. With science continually cing up w/ new things  you never can tell when a light will come on and help will be there. Blessings and Best wishes for help
    • Posted

Thank you. 

I have only suffered for about 2 1/2 years and yeah the sleepless nights are a killer! 

I have spoken to the dr about feeling frustrated and they don't have much advice or sympathy really. 

I have a good aim at the mo with increasing my walks and found a new love for photography which seen as tho I am walking so slow is good haha. 

I just aren't great with change and I think I took for granted I'd be forever capable ie exercise etc. 

thank you again for the ear x

• Posted

Hi rachel... Im am 28 year old with chronic knee pain due to chondromalacia patella...for about 2 years... Giong from bad to worse, now with pain everytime im standing or walking for more than 5 minutes....no rehab has worked for me...had to stop running, tennis, and football, every sport i loved, now stuck lifting weights... No surgery yet but we have many similarities i think.... 

I truly hate this and what it is doing to me and my life, but when im having bad days i try to remember that, looking at the picture, i have a good life, and there are so many people with much worse things than this...trying to stay positive thinking that someday ill find a doctor or a treatment that will end this.... Till that they keep trying build my leg muscles with excercises that cause no or minimal pain, not letting my leg atrophy, i think you could do the same, not overdoing it.... Hope you get better.

• Posted

Hi I'm sorry to hear your suffering so much. I really hope someone offers you some kind of solution v soon. 

It's so hard to accept you can't do the things you love. I had to stop my training for a marathon, I loved kick boxing and HIT training aswel as horse riding. These are the 3 things I've been told I can't ever return to as my knee isn't stabile enough and prob never will be.however My last appointment with the surgeon was a positive one and he is confindent I won't need anymore ops until I'm a lot older. 

The past few weeks I've been building up my milage walking, even managed a power walk yest smile 

I've also found boxing, it's fab and is givng me a good workout without the pressure and impact on my knee. Yoga is becoming a lot easier too and I'm managing some of the deeper moves

I guess it's learning to love what we can do and I'm trying to not focus on what I can't do anymore.that has helped me a lot the past few weeks

I did contact a PT and he is happy to work with me in a few months to put some kind of workout together that I can do smile 

I really hope that there is someone who will step in and help you with your knee problems. Have drs not considered passing u to see a surgeon to see if they can offer some solution? 

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.