2 months of knee pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am new on here and looking for advice please. I've had this knee pain since the 16th December 2016 & have been off work since. I normally work as a cook and this pain just came on all of a sudden. I can't walk too far due to pain & know if I've walked too far as just then can't do anything for the rest of the day. If I stand still for a long time the pain sinks in after 2 minutes.

I've had a MRI scan & doctor says it came back all clear. I've been told to just rest as much as possible & it will eventually get better. I'm at the stage now that I just want to know what's caused the pain. I do have Rheamatoid arthritis & been told its nothing to do with the arthritis, I've been to physiotherapy & lately when I do the exercises I'm in more pain. Any advice please ? Thanks for reading

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Elevate and ice. Take an anti inflammatory like Motrin ibuprofen etc and rest. Hope you get better.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for reply. I have been putting ice on knee, resting for the last 2 months. I can't take anti-inflammatorys as they don't agree with me.

• Posted

The second best TOPICAL anti-inflammatory on the planet is Voltaren Gel (RX in the USA).  Your knee doc can prescribe some.  Works in 15 minutes...great at bedtime.
    • Posted

Think I've have some of that. I have tried rubbing some Fenbid Forte (ibuprofen gel) on but not eleviate the pain neither is Deep Heat but I will definitely try what you've suggested

• Posted

The name is slightly different outside the US but still sounds like Voltaren.  Definitely not ibuprofen.  The #1 topical pain reliever in the world works in FIVE MINUTES and is available in states like Colorado.  Ask for "Lotion"...

• Posted

Did an orthopedist specializing in the knee review the scan or just a regular doc?
    • Posted

Hi ya & thanks for the reply. No, not an orthopedist just going on what my GP has told me.

• Posted

A GP is NOT an expert in joints...period.  Find an orthopedic surgeon specializing in knees.  I'd look for a group that works extensively with your local professional and/or college sports teams.  Bring them your imaging; have them examine you.

Note: MRIs are frequently "inconclusive".  Before my TKR, I had four knee scopes, two on each side. Every time, the MRI did not show anything definitive.  When the docs went in those four times, they found a torn meniscus plus a ripped femoral condyle on each side.  45 years of hockey does take its toll.

Remember...only a knee expert can give you a diagnosis...period. Schedule an appointment ASAP!!!

• Posted

Thanks again for this reply Chico Marx. I shall be definitely seeing my GP again to get a referral to Orthopedics. I did read online about MRI scan's not showing everything about the knee joint & didn't know how true it was. You've just confirmed that what I read was true so thankyou for that

• Posted

Four times, LITERALLY, the doc said: "Guess I'll just have to go in and see what's going on."  No kidding!  Be prepared to hear that.

My cousin Greg has been a doc for over 50 years (also the keyboard guy in my 13-piece, FIVE HORN blues band in New Jersey).  He told me that ALL medical image reading falls under the category: "The Art of Interpreting Shadows".  Some are better at it than others.  Find a good one... 

• Posted

Yes I will Chico. The worse thing is I've been off work since mid December & twice now my manager has questioned my ability to do the job which I'm getting fed up with. So on Wednesday I said to her I didn't ask for this knee pain & told her I had to go and put the phone down. Then I wrote a letter to one of the trustees saying that I don't want to be interrogated about my health & ability to do the job everytime my manager phones and that they have the relevant information on the sick note.

• Posted

Billy Joel used to close all his concerts with: "Good night, everyone, and remember: Don't take s**t from anybody!"  Words to live by.

I had my TKR last March 10th.  Did some P/T sales work at Best Buy starting in October but did not resume full-time IT work until December 1st.  Knee injuries and recovery can be demanding and take time.  I bounced back from my four scopes over single weekends...the TKR left me incapacitated most of last year.  Very humbling.

Everyone's different.  One step at a time (no pun intended...).

• Posted

Thankyou Chico so much for your advice, listening to what I have said. Glad I found this forum as its been nice to chat to someone whose been in the simillar situation.

I won't be taking anymore s**t from my manager as she don't know what's its to be in pain for 2 months 24 hrs a day.

• Posted

I've been dealing with the bilateral stenosis since October.  Back, lower back, hips, glutes and down both legs.  Walk stooped over to avoid as much pain as possible but that puts all the pressure on my quads which are atrophied from the knee replacement.  Turning over in bed requires a forklift plus ropes and pulleys...lol...  No painkillers...just pain.  Have to wait until March 24th for surgery.

Then I have to recover before resuming all my leg, glutes and core work from the knee replacement.  I figure to start feeling better sometime this summer.

It is what it is.  I take my mind off it as much as I can with work and my music.  The mind can only focus on one thing at a time.  If you make that thing your pain, you will always be in pain.  Shift your focus...just takes practice.

• Posted

Sorry to hear what your going through Chico and I hope your surgery goes well on March 24th.

I'm trying not to think about the pain but its not easy especially when I have to sit upright with knee bent which brings on the pain and standing still.

I'm spending most of the time watching films, having lots of cuddles with my two girls (cats) lol, and making cakes.

• Posted

"Anatomy of an Illness as Perceived by the Patient" - Norman Cousins.  Laughed himself back to health by locking himself in a hotel room and watching old comedies.  Very famous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.