2 months on Fluoxetine, still not working.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just passed two months on 20mg fluoxetine per day. Initially like most people taking it I felt worse at first. That improved, but I cannot with hand on heart say that I feel any better now than before I started taking it.

​Is it possible that it is still early days or should I think about going back to the doctors and saying they are just not working.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi john!

if 20mg is not working for you, your doctor may want to raise the dose. when i was on 20mg and that didn't work, my doctor raised it to 40mg...then raised it to 60mg, and yes, raised it to 80mg. which i am currently on and is working great for me. let him know you don't really feel better than before. then you can both discuss raising the dose or trying something else altogether different. good luck. hopefully you won't have to take 80mg. i happen to be med resistant, but i'm happy i stuck it out.

from laura

• Posted

Hi John - sorry to read of your problem. These meds are fickle and what works for some won't work for others. After two months you should be getting somewhere. See your doctor and explain your fears. There may be a need to increase the dose or try some other med. Don't give up - you will find what works. Best of luck to you. 

• Posted

Hi Wayne

Had a good think about it today, took a rare day off work because feeling not too great. I have been drinking alcohol most nights which might be having an effect, will drastically cut down and see if that helps.

• Posted

hi

i used to drink a lot while being treated for depression. besides falling down and walking into things, i felt pretty good. but i wasn't getting the true benefit of my medication. how could i? but my body got sick, and my doctor told me to drastically cut back or quit. he also told me that stopping all together over night could be dangerous. see your doctor, and be frank with him. he can advise you about what happens when drinking and taking medication together. and he can help you cut back or quit. i just don't want you to get sick or feel worse. so i think your idea is good, just be careful how you proceed.    smile

• Posted

Hi Laura

I rarely drink more than 10 units, but it is frequent. Xmas is coming so I will not go totally drysmile

, but been meaning for a while to nip it in the bud, it must be effecting the medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.