2 weeks of citalopram

Posted , 12 users are following.

3 months ago I was on top of the world, great job, amazing husband, lovely children, new home. 

It hit me like a wall of bricks, it came out of nowhere... now I  am struggling...depression, anxiety.

Been signed off sick for the past 2 months. Started citalopram 2 weeks ago. I feel like it will never end. I  don't know what to do with myself, I want my life back.  😢

0 likes, 49 replies

Report / Delete

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Liana,  Sorry to hear about this. Do you have any idea where it came from or why. Seems to be in such a good place and now this.  Cit. takes quite a while to work so you will have to be very patient. Look at these posts for encouragement.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you  for replying. 

I have a very stressful job...I thought I'm happy with it but it looks like it did a lot of harm to me.

I'm desperate right now. Feeling awful on medication.  The anxiety is sky high, I'm in panic mood all the time. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This happened to me Liana, stick with citalopram and in the next few weeks you will feel a lot better, in time you will be back to yourself again, these meds take a while to kick in and when it does you will know, I know how you feel, and nothing anyone says would make you better at this moment but believe me and believe in yourself that your going to be like yourself again, just stick with it, people get worse before it gets better, it's like a rash on your arm, when the doctor gives you cream it flares up before it gets better, there's plenty of people on this site that would give you reassurance if you just ask, much love to you

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Chris

Thank you so much for your comforting message. I have lost interest in everything. Everything is a struggle. I wish I could just get myself together but I can't and I just don't know what to do. I have always been such an active, happy person and now I find everything so hard. I  do not understand what is happening with me. I have no reasons to be like this.

😢😢😢

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh I know Liana, what you felt was stress and when this goes on for a long time it overflows into anxiety and depression, it's amazing what your mind and body can do to itself, now your on citalopram everything intesifies for a while then you increase your dosage to level out, your doctor will explain this to you, when I was on 10mg the side effects went through the roof, my wife would push me to do everything I was afraid of doing, and I done it, it wasn't easy but your mind tells you that you can't do it, when the truth is YOU won't do it, I know it's easier said than done but once you get the courage to do it once you know you can do it again, always remember your not going to be like this forever trust me, it gets better, try to do things you dredd doing, and keep doing different things, your mind can make you I'll but can also cure, much love xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Liana, I'm guessing this is your first experience with anxiety and depression so you've come to the right place for help and understanding.

I remember my first full blown episode and I was frightened because I did not know what was happening and like you wondered if I would ever get back to the old me, but you do, it took some time for the meds to work but once I realised I was on the mend everything changed and I steadily got "me" back.

The symptoms you've described are classic anxiety and depression symptoms but despite how you feel try to keep to a routine with things to do everyday, it help with the recovery process.

You will recover from this!

If your struggling or have a symptom or anything that worries you post it on the forum and folk will respond.

Keep us posted. Neil 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are amazing people, I can not believe how much support I can find here. Just reading your messages I feel better, you are giving me hope.

My husband is so supporting but he can not understand what I am going through, he never experienced it. He is pushing me to do things. Yesterday I didn't want to go for food shopping, he made me go. I didn't want to eat anything, he helped me cook and we had tea together. 

Today I pushed myself out of the house and go to the shop. Wow...it's just unbelievable for someone who 3 months ago was  managing 50 people.

Now I can't even speak to my kids properly, I'm telling to my husband...you talk to them, you check how they are. I want all this to be over, it is unbearable. All what I want these meds to work, just a bit, to be able to start and out will be my fight after. At the moment I'm just paralysed of anxiety and all the negative thoughts which again I don't know where are they coming from, they aren't mine. I'm such a positive, optimistic person....well...I was.

Thanks again everyone for replying. X

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi liana, I'm in the same boat as you right now. I felt so happy with me life I have the perfect partner love my kids unconditionally and I'm in a job that's not overly stressful but very tiering. I don't know where all this came from for me also as like you I'm going through depression and anxiety and my own thoughts scare me so much. Today I've had a really low day but keep trying to tell myself it's the Meds working as I'm only on day 9 so have a long way still to go and this disheartens me so much because I miss my life, I miss my kids and my partner and feel very lost and vulnerable right now to the point of not going on holiday with my family on a holiday that had been booked a while. but I couldn't bring myself to be around my kids like this. I'm scared of who I'm becoming as I'm fearful of losing self control around them. I to have become a very active member of these forums as they keep me feeling like I'm not alone and their is hope as some of these kind people are living proof and have stayed on the forums to help people like you and myself with reassurance... I will be forever greatful to these kind of people as they have helped me through some dark times already and I'm sure they will plenty more. Let's do it. We can over come this liana maybe help support each other as we are at similar stages. Feel free to get in touch. Leanne x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've been on citalopram for 9 months and I wish I had found this forum on my worst days ever, but I only found this forum 3 weeks ago, I'm no expert at this med but IV had the most amazing advice off people on here especially katecogs who knows everything about this med, she's a diamond, much love to you Leanne and Liana x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Lianne,

I can utterly find myself in your text...and we have the same name?, mine spelt in a different language...yes, I miss my life, my husband, my kids, my job, my house, my garden, my flowers, my life, my friends, my everything. 

Yes, I don't want my kids to see me like this.

Yes, I feel lost and vulnerable. 

Yes, I can not say thank you enough to everyone on this forum who reassured me, who encouraged me today, I am absolutely overwhelmed with their kindness.

Lianne, some of them manage to over come this horrible disease, some of them are still fighting, they are giving us hope. Let's thank them from bottom of our hearts and start our fight. Let's do it together Lianne, our family needs us. Please text me anytime day or night.  L xx 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Same to you Chris.

I have been on citalopram 20mg for 2 weeks now, I don't know, just hopping, hopping it will work. I read so many horrible stories for the past 3 months  that I'm just terrified. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou liana... I think any help and support will help both of us right now so let's keep each other posted about our journey. I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow as today has been a real struggle. Have you had any good days at all since being on the citalopram? X

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It will work for you Liana, it takes time, quicker for some longer for others but you'll get there, some people just get the common side effects others get the rare side effects, I had titanus, face twitching, brain zaps, etc, the only one I didn't have was nausea, but all eased after about 3 weeks, then continued to ease until I seen my doctor another 3 weeks later, then he put me up to 20mg, I was scared of another lot of side effects but I was so happy that the side effects was nothing like the 10mg and I felt the effect of cit straight away, stayed on 20 for 3months, had a few bumps now and then but that's how cit works until you find your level, now on 30mg and I found my level, I'm better than ever and you will be too, Im just left with slightly strange sensations around my eyes especially my left but as the days go by its easing slowly.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Don't worry Leanne we will get over it. I know they are saying you have to wait weeks, months and we get so disheartened because we can't bear it not even for one more day, hour. It is a living hell, this is what it is. 

Due to my high anxiety I experience too the dreadful intrusive thoughts. Thinking about you.  Let's hope we will have a better day tomorrow.  There is always tomorrow.  You are not alone. L

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up