2 weeks of citalopram

Posted , 12 users are following.

3 months ago I was on top of the world, great job, amazing husband, lovely children, new home. 

It hit me like a wall of bricks, it came out of nowhere... now I  am struggling...depression, anxiety.

Been signed off sick for the past 2 months. Started citalopram 2 weeks ago. I feel like it will never end. I  don't know what to do with myself, I want my life back.  😢

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi liana,

Aw, You will most definitely get support here from those who have been through so much.  I see your post and it always reminds me how fragile we really are. Full of competence and then buckled..  Just keep on the meds and keep coming on here. It is not a quick fix so you and your husband need to know that. This is by degrees and some days you may not feel any progress but like a great lady katecogs who you will see from time to time says,  the meds are always working but it's quite a job.  Don't despair but DO find eternal patience with yourself.  We have all gone through it but it is a time of life to be good to yourself and keep stress out if you can.  Others will post and it's great to share with everyone.  Jo x

• Posted

Hi Liana

Sorry to hear of your struggle.  You know, this is your body telling you its had enough - its your defence system kicking in because of being pushed too much.  Everyone has their cut off point with stress, and it'll build up, reach its own personal peak before it comes crashing down resulting in anxiety, depression etc etc.  It can happen to anyone.  Its not very comfortable.  The worst thing you can do is to fight it ....... try instead to let those feelings just be there, understand your body just needs to now recover, relax towards it all but at the same time carry on with whatever needs doing.  By slowing down and relaxing you're actually stepping out of the way to let your body heal itself.  It will.  As the anxiety begins to ease you'll find all its side effects will ease too, along with the depression.

The meds will help, but give everything lots of time - however long it takes.  Don't try and hurry it along because you can't and it'll result in more anxiety and frustration.  

You will get your life back.  Just listen to your body.

K x

• Posted

Thank you katecogs.

I know all that but it's very difficult.

I wish I could just snap out of it.

Lx

• Posted

Katecogs I've recently realised I didn't have any intrusive thoughts before I started taking medication. Can citalopram cause intrusive thoughts in the early stages do you know? I'm so exausted by it all. Its only 10:17 in the morning and I'm tierd from all the crying already. I just wish for better days but they are along way away yet. I've rang my doctors and they are going to give me a call back as these thoughts are disturbing me. Wondered if you had any knowledge you could share? Leanne x

• Posted

Ask your gp.for diazapam...it will at least give u a break...from all that drama ..take care
    • Posted

Hi Leanne. 

I am exhausted too. I have been  to town, one of my friends took me there, just got back, it was a huge effort, feeling really bad, couldn't sleep last night, my head is all over the place, I wish I could  sleep for a bit but I  am too scared to let myself go to  sleep, I don't know it might be the citalopram which makes me feel so bad.

• Posted

But that's the very thing though - wishing you could snap out of it.  Wishing that will cause more agitation.  Its your reaction to it that is key - we all fall into the trap of wanting it all to go away now, we fight it, we become impatient too.  Giving up, letting it be there, working with it as gently as you can, understand and accept that it won't be going anywhere for a while yet, let it take as long as it wants ...... changing this helps reverse it.

I ended up fighting it for years until I learnt about anxiety, to stop fighting it plus of course the meds.  I then recovered.

Its a horrible thing to have and it will go in time.

K xx

• Posted

Hi Leanne

Yes the meds can cause you to have intrusive thoughts.  Because the meds increase your anxiety to start with, and because intrusive thoughts are a side effect of anxiety, its understandable you'll get them too.  

Try and remember these thoughts, whatever they are and how disturbing they are, are no more than thoughts and there's no truth in them.  They are just a side effect of anxiety, just as a runny nose is a side effect of a cold.  Don't try and push them away or stop them because it just makes things worse.  The way to treat them is to first understand they're only a side effect and they will go as the anxiety eases.  Honestly - they will.  Next is to let them be there, let them chatter, let them do their worst ...... but remember they are just a side effect and remind yourself they will go.  You won't feel relief, but you will in time.

Also because these thoughts are continuous they'll make you tired, and thoughts will stick to a tired mind.  Worrying about it all just causes more anxiety .... and of course the thoughts will come too as they're a side effect of anxiety.  You get stuck in a cycle of anxiety / fear / thoughts / anxiety etc etc so to break this cycle is to just let those thoughts be.  Its uncomfortable I know - but they will go.

I'll send you a link too.  There's a great piece of Disturbing Thoughts.

K x

• Posted

Hi katecogs

I slept for a bit and I wake up having a horrible panic attack.

How can I calm myself down?

Should I  continue take citalopram?

• Posted

Hi Kate, could you please pm me the link as well.

Thanks for everything! Shane

• Posted

Hi Liana, Keep taking citalopram, I had 2 panic attacks each morning when I first started cit, they were horrendous, but went after about 3-4 days, it's the side effects, this will go, like katecogs said don't fight it, let it come over you, take deep breaths, I know it's easier said than done, but it passes, ask your doctor for 2mg of diazipram this will help alot, half in the morning and half at night, but don't rely on these because they're extremely addictive, you might decide to stop taking citalopram and try to overcome your anxiety and depression by yourself, but if you can't you'll have to start citalopram all over again, I nearly done this, I'm so glad I didn't, even though I thought I was loosing my mind, keep going liana, much love xx

• Posted

Good morning Chris 

I have asked my gp for diazepam already, she would not give me. 

She said that the citalopram should help me with my anxiety. The feeling I have in my stomach makes me sick. 

L xx

• Posted

Hi Liana

Yes Diazepam may help take the edge off it, and I've also read some have noticed they calm down after taken anti-histamine meds.  Mmmm......

The most natural way of course to calm down from a panic attack is to relax towards it, breathe, go with it, don't react towards it (that causes more anxiety).  When you react to a panic attack with more panic, this just reinforces it, so by letting it rage about you whilst you relax gives your body the message that its ok and it relearns to react differently.  I know this isn't an easy thing to do and your natural reaction is to flee.

Exercise is also good as it releases endorphins making you feel good, and it helps to burn off excess adrenaline.

Personally I'd carry on with Citalopram because the side effects do ease over time (the first few weeks or months can be the worst).  Many people recover on these type of meds (myself too) but of course they aren't for everyone as some find the side effects unbearable.

What dose are you on?  

K x

• Posted

So depressed and permanently anxious. I can't cope with daily activities. Need help.

• Posted

If your gp.doesnt want to give valium... perhaps it's best to see a phychiatrist...take care...I know it's hard..

• Posted

20mg. I'm so scared of my future. It's nothing left from who I was. Can not focus on any task, hardly can eat. I'm desperate. I feel like this is it. This is how I am going to be forever. Miss my life so much. I miss my husband and my kids. 

• Posted

I was also like you on 20milligrams until my phychiatrist drop it to 10milligrams instant relief..just saying.u might be sensitive to medicine like I was....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.