2 weeks post op advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a new member to this group and found your comments very reassuring. I am just over two weeks post sacrospinal vault suspension and contaminant repair of rectocele and perineal body muscle reconstruction. This all sounds very confusing to me I did you tube it and watched it on a video, which was interesting. I'm assuming this is what is called front and back prolapse repair, please correct me if I'm wrong. This is nothing like I expected and thought I would be feeling the benefits by now but no. Still fairly uncomfortable but can't say it's pain but do still feel that the prolapse is still there, although I can't see anything and I am still getting a discharge, although not sure if this is me leaking or its an actual discharge, yellowy in colour. I'm also getting up every two hours at night to pee, again not sure if this is to be expected or if it's because I'm at home and having more fluid intake.

Any advice/comments would be really appreciated, thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello carolyn. You have had a lot if surgery and it's major surgery so you are not going to feel the benefit of the operation yet. The perineal body muscle is the muscle that supports the back wall of the vagina and usually improves sex because it makes the vagina tighter. You will feel as though the prolapse is still there but that's due to the swelling so please don't worry as is the discharge you describe. You're probably needing to pee so often during the night as you say because you're drinking more but also because your bladder was handled during your operation. I hope you are resting completely and not lifting but remember we are all here to support one another so welcome 
    • Posted

Thank you so much, your response is really reassuring. I am resting but feel a bit guilty. It's an excellent forum. I am planning to start driving at 4 weeks, do you think this is advisable.
    • Posted

If your consultant hasn't given you a time scale for driving it's safer to check with your insurance company because some stipulate 6 weeks having said that some also say it's up to your consultant. The issue with driving is that you actually use your pelvic floor muscles when you drive but more importantly it's the emergency stop that could be difficult to perform and cause you pain. There is a test to see if you you are healed sufficiently but don't try it just yet. You stamp each foot separately on a hard surface, if you can do it without it being painful then you should be able to do an emergency stop. Urogynaecologists recommend the test.
  • Posted

Dear Carolyn welcome to the forum. It's very soon to feel the benefits, you will be with feeling of prolapse and discharge for some weeks it's normal. I'm 5 months post op and I feel  like prolapsed only some days but there's no prolapse, I go once a month to my gyn and everything is healing right. But little by little it gets better you'll see. Regarding the leaking it could be discharge, not leaking. As Matron said the surgeon manipulates the bladder, the first weeks I had symptoms of cystitis but I had not any infection, it was weird to pee also... But time heals all these issues. Hugs!!!!
    • Posted

Thank you, I've had symptoms of cystitis/infection this evening but I have to be careful as I've also had a kidney transplant, I see my nephrologist on Monday so if it gets worse I'll mention it to him. Certainly takes longer than I had anticipated
    • Posted

Recovery from prolapse repair surgery does take longer than most ladies expect and it can be very frustrating but taking things slowly reaps benefits. Take care carolyn and keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.