2 weeks post op - feeling fine, back to normal??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I had surgery 2 weeks ago for sacrospinous fixation and posterier repair. Few complications at the start, and felt awful for first 10 days but I've definitely turned a corner and have been fine since Monday. There is no way I need the 8 weeks off work that the surgeon told me after the op, so my question is - am I really all healed and better by 2 weeks? I have a telephone appointment with my gp tomorrow and I'm going to ask about going back to work week after next. I am slightly uncomfortable at times, but not in pain, I have minimal discharge, I am back to normal with urinating and bowel movements (actually better with the BM than I was before the op!). I am resting constantly but feel there is no need to rest anymore! Not taken a painkiller since Tuesday and doing light jobs round the home.

What are your thoughts about getting back to normal and going back to work at 3 weeks post op?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Please don't go back yet it is still early days and although you may feel as everything is healed inside but it can take up to 6 weeks for the stitches to heal  an be even longer . I'm 11 weeks post op for cystocele and rectocele and still have some discomfort if I do too much like a pulling an dragging feeling .You may feel as if you are ready to go back to work  but you're inside is not ready for you to go back to work. If your consultant told you to take eight weeks off then please listen to what he is saying as he knows best if you return to work too early you could well under all the work that has been done . I have gone back to work after 10 weeks off and I am on a phase return an light duties I have another two weeks to go before I am ready to go back full time and that is been decided by my consultant and occy health. You need time to heal so please sit back and relax and wait until you are ready both inside and out to go back to work.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Julie. I do feel fine. I will speak to the gp tomorrow for advice, I have a desk job, doesn't involve lifting and it's in a school so at the end of October I have a week off for half term anyway.

if you'd ask me a week ago how I felt, I would have said I won't be at work til after Christmas! But there is seriously no pain or anything now! I am so pleased with how my op has worked out.

• Posted

I agree with JULIE. That's the problem, we all feel like we are okay, then do something and set ourselves back...I did that a few times.

Sitting for long periods is still not real comfortable for me and I'm 14 weeks postop from anterior repair. My worst times since surgery was weeks 3 & 4, trying to recoup from what I did in week 2...standing for awhile in the kitchen preparing & cleaning up from a meal and running my vacuum on my first floor of my house, which is a hardwood floor. Felt worse than I did right after surgery...felt like everything was going to fall right out the bottom. Definitely NOT worth it. 

Follow what they tell you, they are the experts. We do all heal differently, but after what I went through, I wouldn't risk it.

Blessing to you!

Trish

• Posted

Hi Lorraine I was so pleased to read that you have done so well after the Operation for Sacrospinous Fixation as I'm now on a waiting list for this same op.I am a bit apprehensive as I underwent prolapse surgery earlier this year which was abandoned due to complications, so back to sqaure one ! According to my Consultant this is the next best option for me as does not involve opening the abdomen. Having already spent 3 months recovering from the previous surgery I was hoping that my next  recovery would be a lot easier..... How long were you in hospital for  ?  Am keen to get as much info as possible
    • Posted

Hi Ros. The surgery went well, the surgeon told me I would have pain in my right buttock for 4 days post op, as this is where they stitch the ligament. My pain lasted over a week but I've read that for some ladies this pain can last weeks. I can still feel it now but it's not agony anymore. I was in for 2 nights, sent home with a catheter in place though. Had it for over a week, and also got a urine infection. I did struggle to walk and sit down at the start. The pain was only relieved by lying flat. But that was last week, I am absolutely fine now. 
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine, thanks for replying. Yes, my surgeon has also mentioned the right buttock pain.... which does worry me a bit , but is also understandable as that is where they stitch to ! 

As others have said, It's definitely worth taking the extra time now though, to fully recover. I know It's so tempting to want to do too much too soon, to get back to 'normal' as soon as possible. Best wishes Ros 

• Posted

Lorraine, I'd guess this somewhat depends on your job.  But do take care - the last thing you want to do is ruin the surgery because you feel so good.  I am pleased you feel so good though, but I've a feeling it could take a lot longer to heal yet, so just be careful:-)
    • Posted

Thanks Chris. Yes I will certainly listen to what the gp says tomorrow. I just think ill go mad being off for another few weeks!! If there's a medical reason why I should stay off, and there's a chance I will undo all the good work, then I will take the advice and stay put. I just feel so normal now! Better than normal! I feel fit and raring to go!
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine, I understand exactly how you are feeling. I also work in a school , I am the boss so am also keen to return. But I will be listening to the surgeon's advice as I am 8 days post op and somedays I feel great but other days I have no energy, so hang on in there. The stupid thing is I feel guilty for having the operation, but I am trying to come to terms with the feeling of not being in control. 

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

I also have a desk job and returned to work four weeks less a day after surgery.  No problems.  I did have a visit with my surgeon before returning to work and she said it was fine except that I could not lift anything more than 10 lbs for six weeks.  I did as I was told and all has been well.  It is now 3 months tomorrow since my surgery.  If your doctor says OK, then I would go for it.

Nickie

• Posted

Hi everyone, just an update. Have spoken to my GP who is going to sign me off for another 2 weeks so I can return to work at 4 weeks post op, but he wants to see me the Friday before going back just to check I am fit for work. I am happy with this. 

I am so pleased my recovery has been quick and I wish all the ladies out there good luck and best wishes for your own surgeries and recoveries.

Thanks again everyone xx

• Posted

That's excellent news Lorraine!  So pleased for you, and what an encouragement to those about to have the same op!:-)
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine,

That's what happened to me.  Saw the doctor on Thursday and went back to work on Saturday.  Glad to here all is well.  Good luck.

Nickie

• Posted

Hello, I'm due to have posterior vaginal repair and sacrospinous fixation on 31st December and I am having doubts about the surgery.  I won't know until I come out of the op if I have had the sacrospinous fixation as they can't tell until they take a look.  Some of the questions have been answered already, thanks to all.  I'm wondering if non surgical intervention would be a better option initially as I am quite nervous about being in an nhs hospital.  When I went for my pre op the nurse was unable to answer

questions and said that if there wasn't room on the gynea ward I would go to a surgical ward which also has male patients.  How long will I have to stay in hospital if the more complex procedure is done? I would appreciate any helpful insights/advice you might offer as I'm having serious doubts about this surgery, and my after care!

• Posted

Coral, if I can reassure you, I had a hysterectomy and anterior repair done last November (2014) in an NHS hospital and I couldn't fault the treatment at all!  They were absolutely brilliant in every way.  I was the last person on the list for the day (they even overran time in theatre to fix my prolapse at the same time) and the wards were full so they put me in a private room with no extra cost.  I was cleared to go home the next morning as soon as wee was tested but it was late afternoon before I left because of waiting for pharmacy, physio etc.  but my surgery wasn't as complicated as yours could be - they should perhaps give you some idea of how long the stay could be?  So, my answer is that I wouldn't let concerns about treatment put me off, and my after care was excellent, so that wouldn't put me off either.  Having said that I had a prolapse pessary for years before the repair, and because of a connective tissue disorder my repair failed this summer, and I'm back to using a prolapse pessary again and it's absolutely successful, causing me no problems at all and all it means is that I have to go and get it taken out every 4 - 6 months, checked and put back, which I'm very happy to do, so I can recommend the prolapse pessaries as well.  You have a choice:-)  It really comes down to if you want a good chance of a permanent solution, or if you're happy to go for the pessary solution.  May be it's worth you trying a pessary solution first, but if you want penetrative sex that does pose more complications, unless you have a pessary you can take out yourself.
    • Posted

Hi Chris. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me, it was very helpful.

i wasn't keen to go for the Pissarro but having read your comments I have,decided to opt for that option in the first instance and if that's not a good solution for me, I can always go for the,surgery in the future.  this forum has been helpful and supportive. Thank you and I'll keep you posted.

• Posted

Hope it goes well for you Coral.  And you're very welcome:-)))
    • Posted

Yes, I could see that was the computer doing it's own thing LOL!
    • Posted

Hi again Chris., I meant to ask you more about the pessary. How long does it take to be fitted? Is it comfortable, I.e. Can you feel it in situ? Thanks again
    • Posted

Hi Coral,  You don't always get the right one on the first attempt.  When I had my first one though, the first attempt fitted and was brilliant and once it's in situ you don't feel it, but when I wanted one after I'd had surgery it was more complicated and it was the third attempt, because having had surgery - hysterectomy and vaginal repair, it can even mean a pessary can't be fitted, but I was lucky and the shelf worked.  Actually putting it in takes a few minutes, if that.  It's a bit like having a smear done - the gynie puts her fingers in to find out what space there is and then fits the size she thinks is going to suit.  They vary as to how comfortable they are having put in.  The ring is a piece of cake, but I found the Gellhorn a bit more uncomfortable.  I was worried about having the shelf fitted and actually took a valium and Ibuprofen before I went LOL!  But I didn't notice it at all (maybe due to the valium and Ibuprofen LOL!).  I'd say generally they're more uncomfortable being taken out than putting in.  I remember the first time I went to have my ring taken out and things checked out and then the new ring put in, and it seemed a bit uncomfortable but I got used to it and got so relaxed about it and that's the secret - if you're relaxed it's much easier!  But once it's in, it's done and there until you need to go back and have it taken out and checked and replaced, and it doesn't seem a big deal then and makes so much difference - it just feels like normality.  The shelf I have now has a knob on the bottom which I found slightly uncomfortable for a few days but it settled and I use coconut oil to lubricate the knob every day and it's absolutely fine - I'm VERY happy with it:-)  It was a huge relief to know that I could have a pessary:-)))))
    • Posted

Hi Coral I'm waiting for the same surgery, posterior vaginal repair and sacrospinous fixation, hopefully sometime in January 2016. If you do go for he op after Christmas, I would be very interested to hear how it  all goes and your recovery. All the best for whatever you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.