2 weeks post op from bunion surgery and still having pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

It has been 16 days since my surgery and I'm still having sharp pain on the top of my foot where the cut and pin was put in. Should I still be having pain??

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm 4 weeks post bunion op, and can say that it's only during the last week that I've managed without any painkillers, just the odd one at night when I get the occasional 'stabbing' pain, so you should see a gradual improvement over the next couple of weeks. I wish you well with your recovery.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I too, do not sleep because of the pain. Sometimes I think I can feel the pins in my foot sticking out.. Maybe i should ask my Dr for something for the pain other than over the counter meds.

Best of luck to you too

• Posted

Thank you. When I left hospital, the nurse just told me to call at my local pharmacy and get over the counter painkillers, which didn't work. I was prescribed Cocodamol 30/500 and I took the maximum dosage for the first 2 weeks. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Thank you. It does help. I'm not alone in the 2 weeks and after and having pain. Everything I've read and what my dr has said, that the pain should be better and it wasn't better, worried me. I thought I should be concerned. But I'm not alone. Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi I'm three weeks post opp the pains are normal have you had bandages removed yeyet ? As once I had mine removed it felt a lot better
    • Posted

Hello,

No, I'm still all bandaged up and wearing boot. Dr. Says I will have bandage and boot for 6 more weeks.Do you still have pain?

• Posted

Yes still aches and get sharp pains running threw it nurse said that's normal thou as it's still bruised and swollen
  • Posted

i had my op on 12th December and like you, felt, and to a degree, still feel that I can feel the 3 pins sticking out along the side of my foot where the scar is. The scar is a little sensitive to touch and I sometimes feel a slight pain although that's too strong a word really. My surgeon said my foot will tell me when I have done too much and he's absolutely right!

Unfortunately, patience and painkillers are the thing required following this procedure. You will feel better when the bandage is removed although I was only wearing the boot for a couple of weeks, I probably did too much too soon so give yourself time to heal, small improvements happen daily and you've had traumatic surgery to your body, hope you soon feel better.

• Posted

Morning, hope you are feeling a little more comfortable. The thing to bring out internal bruising is Arnica Cream which is available over the counter in the pharmacy, massage in gently and it helps massively! 
    • Posted

Morning,

Yes, arnica is great stuff. I have both tabs and cream. And they do work well. When did you stop needing pain killers? I have an appt.

• Posted

I'm only taking paracetamol before bed as that's when then pain hits me

Been using E45 cream as my feet are really dry and that's causing it to pull on my cut

• Posted

I was given 30 co-codamol by the hospital  and took those (in the given time frame of course) during the two weeks following the procedure and also took some strong ibubrofen (600mg) if I needed extra help which I can buy in boxes of 40 over the counter here in Spain. However, the thing is to keep taking the pain relief at regular intervals for the two weeks following the operation even if you don't think you need them. The pain does start to go but as I've said on a couple of these forums, all of us that have had this operation are expecting a fast recovery, our feet take such a huge amount of pressure all day I think we take them for granted somewhat! I won't in future and when I have the other one done in September I will take heed of the surgeons advice! I now know what to expect. 

I have to say, for me, a large glass of chilled white wine along with the pain relief very beneficial! 

• Posted

I am 18 days post op and every week brings new experiences.  Week one was concentrating on managing any pain with the pain relief and mobility extended to bathroom visits.  Week two was a bit more mobility to make a cuppa or get to the dining table for tea. After 14 days the bandages were removed(pin still in for a further 4 weeks.  I am dressing the wounds as they are tender but last night did some gentle massage with almond oil. There are still twinges and sharp needle like pains but not requiring pain relief although like others I find that the nightime relief is most welcome as you can look forward to a good sleep.  The feet are mildly swollen which goes down on elevation and I think all of this is perfectly normal.  The nurse who look off my monster bandages said bath them with cool wter dont soak them.  Massage in some cream with vitamin and just generally love them .... they have been through a lot!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.