2 weeks post-op, help!

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi guys. I'm 22 and exactly 2 weeks ago today, I had a LTHR. I am in a lot of pain because I stopped taking the given pain killers because they caused awful constipation. Any suggestions on other strong ones I can take that don't have that side effect? I'm in so much pain that neither: sitting, standing nor laying is comfortable. Any advice on positions to comfortably sleep and sit? I'd really appreciate anyone's advice. This is driving me insane and I've had many operations before, so its not like I'm not used to pain.

Thank you for reading!

Have a blessed day!

1 like, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What did you try to ease the constipation side effect? It's such a common side effect but can be managed. Something like Lactulose syrup can be effective plus you need to drink a lot of water and eat plenty of roughage like bran flakes. Have you spoken to your doctor about the issues you've had? He or she will be able to prescribe something appropriate. Hope you can sort something out soon, it's horrid to be in pain. I found lying on my back on the sofa the most comfortable position but you need to get the painkillers sorted.

Good luck

Ann

• Posted

First of all, thank you so much for the response and advice. I was prescribed the laxative you mentioned but it didnt help at all, I went after stronger things and they only helped a little...thats how badly those pain killers effect me. I called today and they said they'd call me back. As for sleeping, I've literally moved into the living room since being discharged. There's no position I'm comfortable in. You're right though, I hope to sort the pain killer situation out.

Thank you again Ann!

• Posted

You're welcome. I hope you are pain free soon. I can't emphasise enough how important it is to drink extra water early on. You will have lost fluid during the op through blood loss and possibly have some swelling. Your body is also healing and getting rid of the anaesthetic. With all if that going on and the side effects of opioid painkillers which slow down your bowel constipation is inevitable if you don't drink enough. There are lots of good suggestions in the replies so hopefully you will have heard from your doctor by now and are on your way to feeling better.

Best Wishes

Ann

• Posted

i too really struggled with constipation and didnt rate the lactolose at all try a herbal tea called slimatea just one on an evening really helped it has senna in iti was ' normal' after a few weeks but wished i had the herbal tea on day one

• Posted

Hello

After only two weeks you most certainly need pain killers

You need to take something for the constipation rather than stop the painkillers. Ask your doctor for advice. They should be able to give you something. Look after yourself

• Posted

Hello, so it's normal to have this much pain 2 weeks in?

Believe me I've taken every laxative possible. Those pain killers are just far too harsh on my stomach. I called and they said they'd call me back.

Many thanks for responding to me, you take care!

• Posted

You shouldn't stop painkillers until the pain has subsided considerably. Constipation is the biggest side effect of the opiates that they use to treat severe pain, it is manageable, but you have to 'keep ahead of the game' with the laxatives.

Talk to your surgeon's team or a GP.

• Posted

The constipation drove me to hell and I tried all the laxatives I could. My doctor said they'd call me back. Sadly, they always take long.

Thank you for responding!

• Posted

coffee - get a nice strong coffee down you! The drugs from the GA or spinal will also cause constipation. Prune juice is another favourite.

• Posted

In order to recover and gain the most from your hip replacement you need the pain to be under control.

As already said speak to doctor to get something prescribed for constipation and drink plenty of water.

Then you can take the pain meds.

Wishing you a good recovery. Four weeks in myself and still on pain meds though lower dose now.

• Posted

You're right, I really need this pain under control. Its getting in the way of my sleep and "exercise".

I'll try and reach my doctor tomorrow.

Are you finding it less painful to sit and sleep. Thats a big issue for me.

Good luck to you with recovery.

Thank you so much for responding!

• Posted

I did have real problems sleeping due to pain waking me up and used liquid morphine for awhile at night which really helped.

With codeine and paracetemol became mostly pain free.

I do have constipation. Manage with diet, linseed and drink lots of water.

Better than pain though.

You could ask for stool softener and laxative.

Moving helps with pain too.

• Posted

i wish they'd given me liquid morphine to take home!

You're right, I need more laxatives. Good luck with your recovery. Thank you for your response!

• Posted

They stopped me as soon as possible on morphine when in hospital. I was given Tramadol to take home.

• Posted

I guess I was very lucky getting a bottle to take home and a top up from GP. Sleeping makes such a difference and needs good pain relief. Cannot understand why this is not known or ensured..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.