2 weeks post rectocele surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello! I'm a 39 y/o gal (obvioulsly haha) with older kids. I had rectocele surgery exactly two weeks ago. Dr. used dissolvable stitches and no mesh. Here's my question: Dr. said I'd be great in 1-2 weeks and be able to return to work no problem. (I am a barber working 10 hour shifts standing) I figured I'd take two weeks off. I am feeling rectal pressure when standing for an hour, and soreness/ pressure in vagina. I did one friends' haircut yesterday and had to go home and put an ice pack on my bum and lay down. I am taking Advil, milk of magnesia once daily and 2 colace pills a day. I am going #2, but have developed hemorriods. I'm wondering if I should take another week off? Is there something wrong with me that I'm not feeling 100% yet? Thanks for reading!

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi rene

There is nothing wrong with you in my opinion, I have had the same just less than 2 weeks but also a perionoscopy and I am still lounging on the sofa, some days OK some not, stitches were a problem yesterday. A tip someone mentioned on here was if you could turn yourself inside out and see the op and scaring etc you would protect it so much more, just because we can not see doesn't mean it healed. My dct told me to take it very easy no lifting or attempting sex until my follow up appointment 6/8 weeks. Matron will advise but 2 weeks seems much much too early to me. Stay well have it repaired once with great recovery not rushing back and a fail. Xx

• Posted

Read the information on the Genitourinary Prolapse home page under Useful Resources. The South Tees Information will be very helpful. Your urogynaecologist (at least I hope it was) was extremely optimistic. If you are on your feet for so long it will be at least 12 weeks before you can stand for 10 hours and even that is optimistic! The first 2 weeks of recovery you should rest completely and not lift anything heavier than a kettle with enough water to make a cup of tea or coffee. Your sutures won't dissolve for some time yet and it can take 16 weeks. Please take care and read the information, it will save me having to type it all out x

• Posted

Need to read better, I am amazed that a consultant would say it is ok to go back to this type of work after 2 weeks sad

• Posted

Exactly Mossup. I was off work 13 weeks!
    • Posted

Thank you. I will read it! I did see a urogyno. He said I'd feel better in ONE-two weeks tops! I called his nurse and she said wait at least 4 weeks....

• Posted

Right? Here i have been pushing myself because I'm thinking I should be healed!

• Posted

Hi rene,

That's exactly what I did during my 1st recovery from anterior repair and hysterectomy.

I was given gynecology leaflet saying 6-12 weeks, so thinking I should be almost back to normal by that time I was really pushing myself and doing too much.

I am now a tear post op from anterior and posterior surgery and my repair are holding strong this time but only because I found this sight and it kept me constantly aware not to overdo things this time. I do have problems with scat tissue but that is probably due to the excess surgery, so as other lady said you want surgery to be successfully 1st time.

Listen to your body which will tell you when you overdo things and take progress slowly and just a little at a time and see how things go.

Take care,

Happy healing,

Phyl ?x

• Posted

Sorry meant 'a year post op' and 'scar tissue'

?

• Posted

Sorry I meant I hadn't read your post properly Rene, still tiring easily at the moment!  I hope you are feeling a little more comfortable, sadly I am assuming your consultant was a bloke!  Really make me sad that we get given such bum advice, that potentially could set your healing back!

I hope you don't think we are jumping on you, I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say our reactions are out of concern for you and your healing process.  As others have said feet up and rest 😘

• Posted

Oh no I appreciate very much for everyone's responses! I don't know anyone personally that has had this and all I have to go on is the Dr's advice! Now I don't feel so bad for being "lazy." I do feel much better week by week! I guess I didn't really thing it was major surgery. He literally made it sound like it was a breeze. I'm shocked.

• Posted

That is not your fault Rene it is for the consultant to advise you of this.  I wonder if it the this difference stems fro the difference in healthcare systems?  I have read that this type of operation is often done as a day case or over night stay and I think this make it much more likely for a pt to not place such significance on the seriousness of the procedure and impact on your body.

Maybe he meant it was a breeze for him cheesygrin

• Posted

I stayed in the hospital one night. Doctor said I could drive in a week! Well the healthcare system here from what I read is a rushed system. They said I could have sex in 4 weeks, (which I am NOT doing) and I believe the doctor said it so he could make $$$$.
    • Posted

Sadly I think you are right about his advice being based on making money.  Obviously if your repair fail that will give these Drs an opportunity to make more money later. I am glad you are feeling empowered by the information on this site.
    • Posted

I am! Glad to know I am not just being sensitive or there is something wrong with me! Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.