2 weeks since thr. Update

Posted , 6 users are following.

It's 2 weeks today since my left posterior thr with ceramic on plastic prosthesis so just thought I would give an update of how I'm doing as I so avidly followed everyone on here while waiting for my op. 

I had a 4 month plus wait from first seeing the consultant to having the op. In that time I joined the local leisure centre and went there every day Mon - Fri for aqua, Pilates, Yoga, recumbent cycling and upper body weight training. I had to take naproxen and modify the exercises but I felt a lot fitter when it was time for the op and this is also paying off now post op. 

I chose a spinal anaesthetic rather than general after reading here that people recover quickly from it. (I had to ask the anaesthetist for it specifically as she was planning on a general anaesthetic.) It was excellent. I was not aware of anything during the op but just wide awake immediately after. The surgeon was there and told me all had gone well. I was in recovery for a very short time then back to the ward for a smoked salmon sandwich and cup of tea. Followed by pasta later in the evening. 

It took 4 hours for the spinal anaesthetic to wear off and my blood pressure was a bit low so had to stay in bed. The next day I was up with physio and then home after a 3 night stay. Minimal swelling in the leg. 

Sleeping on my back turned out to be much easier than I anticipated. I have a big pillow that wraps around my body for support. (They are sold as pregnancy pillows but perfect for any type of support) I use the 'This works Deep Sleep and Sleep Plus' pillow sprays. Also the yoga Savasana pose with yoga breathing exercises that I learned in the classes at the leisure centre have been very useful. Also affirmations 'I sleep blissfully on my back' have helped my mind let go of the belief it would be difficult. I found a yoga strap really helpful to support my operated leg getting on and off the bed and the sofa. 

I was sent home with Tramadol and Panadol for pain relief plus an anti clotting pill that I take twice daily. I spoke to my GP and switched the Tramadol to cocodamol which is a lot better for me as I was away with the fairies on the Tramadol. Currently reducing the cocodamol to half doses with a view to coming off all pain relief asap. I'm using lactulose syrup and bran flakes to help manage constipation from the cocodamol. 

My muscles are still a bit sore so as long as I can exercise properly I'm fine with a bit of pain relief. I wasn't given any fancy stockings. I was doing the post op exercises as soon as the anaesthetic wore off and continue them daily. They have been very easy again because I've been exercising so much already. 

Had my staples removed 2 days ago and the wound is clean and dry with very little bruising. 

Yesterday I went for physio assessment and have been put onto the exercise classes from tomorrow as my balance and recovery is good. All that Pilates etc has really helped. I asked him to show me how to safely get up and down from the floor so I can start shoulder bridge exercises. I was able to kneel earlier this week but a bit worried about how to get right down onto the floor. I also found that the hospital run a special Pilates class for patients recovering from thr so feel excited about that. I can learn which exercises are safe so I can get back to my gym again soon. A really helpful Pilates exercise has been the balance one where you rock side to side and then back and forward to find your centre. I had been favouring my right hip while I was in pain so need to break that habit. The physio had me stand on a balance machine and I got a pretty good score and that is purely from Pilates. I was frightened to death about going to the gym in case I did more damage and thought I wouldn't be able to keep up in the classes but I was amazed at how much I could manage and what an improvement it has made. So I would urge anyone waiting for surgery to try and do some sort of strength training. Aqua was the thing I started with and that is brilliant. I was a bit daunted at the thought of wearing a swimsuit when I'm no spring chicken but it turned out it was not a problem at all. I decided I was there to work not to pose. 😂 Getting a good balance of rest, good nutritious food, water and exercise are key. A bit of pain is good to stop you overdoing things but not so much that you are reluctant to move. I signed up for a free online course about Opera and am getting through lots of great books so not feeling bored. I think these next 10 weeks will fly by. I intend to make the most of the rest and relaxation. So so grateful to be rid of the arthritic pain. 

Best of luck to my fellow hippies

Regards

Ann

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wow sounds like you're doing amazing! I have mine next Friday and am getting very nervous. Mine will be done under spinal and sedation  - can I ask did you hear anything or were you 'asleep' I am really worried I will be aware of what's happening! X

• Posted

No didn't hear or feel a thing. I was worried about that too and told the anaesthetist that I didn't want to hear anything.  One minute I was sitting forward on the trolley while they set up the needles etc for the anaesthetic in my back and in my hand and the next I was wide awake and talking to the surgeon after the op. It was brilliant. The anaesthetist came to the ward later to check on me and said 'you are a very good advert for spinal anaesthesia' I was feeling so well. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Ann, really pleased that it’s all going so well, congratulations! So good that you managed to keep exercising right up to the op,  it must make a real difference. I’m sure hippies waiting for their op will feel more confident about the whole process. I wish you all the best with your recovery Judith 
  • Posted

Ooo great that's exactly what I want to happen! Thanks for that you've eased my mind. Hope your recovery continues to go well x

• Posted

Dear Annie

Great news. So glad that it all went well for you. You will continue to do well but take care!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Ann,

Have just read your two week update and found it useful as I'm getting my right hip done, ceramic on plastic un cemented in two weeks time. I'm also planning to hit the gym and swim  during the next two weeks. One question that I would like to ask is how long does the re attached Hamstring take to heal after its disconnection in the posterior procedure. It worries me a bit that it might not heal quickly?

Thanks for your and everyone's input on this site.

Tony

• Posted

Hi Tony, I can’t say I’ve noticed any issues with my hamstring. No pain or difficulty with stretching. I was 6 weeks post op last Thursday and started Pilates with the physio at the hospital and we did hamstring stretches. Also been stretching in the pool since week 5. I am doing about an hour in the gym and half hour in the pool every day now and feeling really well. Breaststroke with froggy legs is tricky still so physio said wait a couple of weeks and try again then. Just feels a bit unstable as my leg pushes through the water  I only tried that very gingerly for a short distance and didn’t like it. Everything else has been fine. Good luck with your op

Regards

Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.