2 year old with untreated overactive thyroid

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I posted on here a few weeks ago about my two year old who is showing high levels of both TSH and T4 in his latest blood test results. The doctors are baffled, calling for more tests and then we will take things from there I guess.my son isn't right at all but at the minute, what's baffling me more than anything is his bowels. since last monday night, so a week ago  now, he is having a poo after everything he eats, they are extremely runny and he's complaining of tummy ache. He's even waking up three times in the night to poo as well now, He can't have a bug, which was my initial thought, as surely it would have cleared up by now. He's no temp and the most bizarre thing is that he's constantly hungry. So if it was a bug, surely he would be off his food. His poos are very pale in colour. Does anyone know if this is a sign of untreated over active thyroid? We have been fighting for this diagnosis for so long and if this may be in any way connected, I want to go straight back to the gp in the hope something will be done sooner. Many thanks in advance. If anyone has experience of both high TSH and T4 levels too, I'd be grateful to hear. Thank you 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Though I didn't experience the bowel symptoms, I was told by my Endo that this was a common problem with hyperthyroidism.

• Posted

Before I knew I had hyperthyroidism, I lost 20lbs in a short period of time. I was going to the bathroom 3-4x a day (sorry, TMI). I was always hungry and constantly eating but was unable to absorb any nutrients because i Was going to the bathroom so frequently. I learned later that this is a very common symptom of hyper. 
  • Posted

When I was severe hyper...tsh was unreadable I would poop constantly... whatever I eat I poop. Like what your son was going thru. So it's making heart rate faster, therefore metabolism is at faster rate. Is he taking multi with iodine? If he is fine multi no iodine... more iodized salts kind of like fuels it.

• Posted

Becky Jayne ... 

good to see you back .. tho sad your boys poorly ..  

Yes ..    overactive bowels and bladder were definately a sign of Graves in my case !  ......

everything’s out of sync with Graves  as you’re running on empty !    

As all nutrients , vitamins and minerals are running low ... or depleted entirely .

I don’t know how they would text your wee boys vitamin levels .. bloods I guess .. if they can do that , that would be an eye opener for you and a great indication that it could BE

Graves /  Hyperthyroidism .....    or  NOT !

Linda187 is very knowledgeable on the subject of TSH  

And I’m sure if you give her the numbers she will advise you further 

Can you print the Nos.  out ..

as it’s not enough to say  ‘high’    

More info needed there.

Give your boy lots of cool water to drink .. he needs to replace liquids .. let him lie down flat to rest and cool down 

Maybe a LITTLE  salt and a LITTLE  sugar  in water once or twice might help replace what’s lost.

Try to find on  Amazon a good children’s vitamin .... containing magnesium and B Vitamins also D3 if possible 

Wipe his forehead and face with coolish water with a few drops of Lavender in a small bowl using a soft  Cloth .. anytime  .. specially at nighttime .

I hope he starts to feel well very very soon .. the wee mite 🦋👶

Mx🌹

• Posted

When were his last blood tests tests ..

I can’t believe they just leave it at that !!  

Baffled !    

They’re supposed to think scientifically   ... what’s keeping them ??

Mx🌹

• Posted

Hi BeckyJane

I've had your son's symptoms with an overactive thyroid although fortunately I haven't had to get up in the night for the bathroom.  I was eating everything, visiting the toilet after every meal and losing weight. But my TSH was low while my T4 was high. 

Rosie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.