2 years post Whipple but liver enzymes now 5x normal and new onset Type II Diabetes

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had the Whipple 2 years ago due to a pancreatic divisum. I now have 5x elevated liver enzymes and new onset Type II Diabetes. I don't drink or smoke and am 5'1" 100 pounds. I am most concerned about blocked biliary in my liver. My GI is doing blood work and sending me for a CT and Ultrasound. Have others out there had these problems?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't have the problems you've listed but my doctor wants to remove my pancreas due to Divisum. He's going to do the islets cells into the liver procedure. Did you have that done? Have they performed an ERCP? That'll show if your ducts are blocked. I just had my seventh one done this past Wednesday.

• Posted

I had about 6 ERCPs on my pancreas duct to open it, but not the procedure you had or are having. You are in my prayers. The whipple helped my pain that started when pregnant around 15 years ago. She is 14, healthy and smart. We are blessed. Only one bc I got the pancreatitis when pregnant. Now I am on Metformin and Januvia for the diabetes.

• Posted

I was reading your post that you had the Whipple procedure, i had Pancreatic Divisum as well, last July i had what is called the Puestow procedure as the head of the Pancreas was ok. 3 weeks after the surgery they found a blockage in the head of the Pancreas, now next July i will be having the Whipple procedure. This is silly but i have always been afraid of Diabetes more so than the cancer i had. I was wondering how hard is it to maintain a healthy blood sugar ? I understand i will become diabetic right away. My Puestow procedure the Dr. fixed the Divisum and few other issues, i am not looking forward to another procedure but i can't continue to be in hospital for days at a time. Please post your results about your liver. If you don't mind.

• Posted

My liver enzymes are now normal! The diabetes is not that difficult to control. I am doing better. It is a difficult surgery, but I am in less pain. I even joined a gym today because my 14 year old daughter wants to stay fit for cheerleading. I will keep you in my prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.