20 weeks post-op

Posted , 7 users are following.

Good Evening All

I'm sorry I have not been on the forum for quite a wee while.  I have been very busy and just not had time other than occasionally catching up with where everyone is in their recovery.

I guess I also got a bit down as I am still not really seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  TKR was on 26 October and then I had to have a MUA on 18 December.  I did feel that helped a lot and I also see a great PT.  My bend is good but though my leg is fairly straight, getting downstairs is not great.  Sometimes I can, other times I have to do one stair at a time.

i am still experiencing pain and in fact this has got worse recently, especially in bed.  Pain is at the back of my knee and nothing seems to help.  Standing for too long is excruciating and walks are still out of the question.  I either sleep for an hour at a time or not at all.  Getting really fed up with the whole thing and certainly don't feel that I'm glad I got it done.  Lying in bed at the moment and I know sleep will be out of the question, pain is just too much.

has anybody got any suggestions.  Just don't know what to do.  I have been keeping up with how my old buddies are doing and glad Ann, that your son is doing better.  Hope they get the taxi driver.

good night all

Liz xxx

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Liz, you poor thing.. Depression is one of the side effects. So is lack of "improvements". Getting down stairs is all to do with stability, strength of muscles, flexibility of tendons and ligaments and the stretching of those blasted scars.  Oh, I forgot, patience.

coming down stairs sometimes needs a lot of patience and ingenuity.  If you can't walk down the stairs properly, try coming down backwards.  It may seem as if you are not progressing, but believe me, you really do need to listen to your body. Sometimes in is a neural thing, sometimes physical.. A lot of pressure is put on people to BEND. Everyone is different. It will come,but in time, once you start coming down backwards comfortably, make it a little harder by doing it slow and deliberate.  Every now and then turn round and walk down the normal way; always slow and, holding onto the walls/banisters, making those muscles work.  If it hurts, don't give up, just turn round and come down backwards.  It's not about giving up or "it's not working", it's about trying to make the best of a situation, without being too hard on yourself.  

As for sleeping at night, or being in the same position for too long.  Put a pillow beneath your mattress.  Strong meds at night help, as does sleeping pills.  Also mind over matter needs to be exercised.  When I wake at night, I keep still and let the pain wash over me, the pain then becomes bearable and becomes possible to go back to sleep.  Yes it takes time, but it works.  Please take your meds.  If only for a short while, increase the night time meds. You need rest as well as respite.  If you don't want to take pills; use lidocaine patches, they are prescription only, so are stronger than those bought over the counter.

Is it the standing, or the pain of raising your foot of the ground. This is a muscular issue. Try standing with your knee slightly bent.  One very oxymoronic way to cope with the pain is go to a gym, start with the static bike with the saddle as high as you can go (with just the toes of your bad leg touching the pedals) and see how you go.  After x amount of revolutions increase the tension a little until you get used to it, then increase your speed. After 10 mins, use the rowing machine, again, using the right amount of tension that is comfortable to you..10 mins only, then use the ski machine, you may not be able to do the whole revolutions, so just go backwards and forwards. The trick to all this is to create a rhythm and ease the movement of your joint.  If there is a pool, make sure the water is warm and just float, just letting your knee bend on its own violation.  I know this costs money but.  If you are in the UK there is a way to go to gyms very cheaply with no subscriptions and no tie-ins.  Am sure there are the same formats in other countries, but am not familiar.

back to sleeping, as the pain subsides, try turning and laying on your side.  I do know what you are going through and there are ways to cope, but most importantly you must take your meds, otherwise movement is going to be a nightmare.

• Posted

Hi Liz!

I had LOTS of trouble with pain behind my knees. I asked my Physical Therapist about this, and she said to stretch my hamstrings which tend to shorten as we walk with bent knees to deal with pain.

I put my legs out straight on an ottoman as I watch TV or read. At first I could stand it only about 30 seconds, but I rested then tried again. Each day I could increase my "straight" time. This gentle stretching has helped me greatly!

I hope you will try this to see if it helps YOU!

• Posted

Hi sweetie, the other way is to try and ouch the back of your knee into whatever your are resting on, tighten your thigh muscles and try lifting your foot up.  

How is the weather where you are x

• Posted

Hi Sue Isobel

Thank you so much for all your really helpful advice.  I think myself it is the hamstring needing stretching and I do.  I put my foot up on the sofa and pull my foot up and push the knee into the sofa, it does help plus I do the same in bed.  Also this is part of the exercise regime I get from the PT.  It doesn't matter though what I do, the minute I get into bed the pain begins.

I live in Cyprus and I am lucky as I am a member of a fabulous gym with pool and it only costs me €299 per annum, which is only £231 which is excellent.  I go to an Aqua aerobic class there and it is superb.  I can manage that not too bad, just a couple of things I avoid and this class is tough, not like any other Aqua class I have ever seen.

I can go up and down stairs as long as there is a railing to hang on to, BUT though going upstairs looks ok, the downstairs part just isn't quite normal.  I think I need to build up the strength a good bit more in my quads.

my PT is excellent.  She really concentrates on getting the leg straight.  My bend is now good.

i think sometimes instead of thinking about when I got the TKR done I should think about when the MUA was done as up till then I had very little bend and was getting nowhere.  The improvement only started after 18 December when manipulation was done.  I have come a long way since then.  Last night I got three hours sleep in one go and then maybe another 1 hour, so a massive improvement on the night before.  I've not been sleeping well at all for a good 2 weeks so I think that's when the depression sets in.

you are so right and I am going to go back on my meds for a wee while, just till I feel stronger.  I have only been taking the odd paracetamyl and ibuprofen.

thank you once again.

Liz x

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

I have started doing this as much as possible and I do feel the difference.  I think I am needing to get a better nights sleep as I'm sure that would help.

Thank you.

Liz x

• Posted

Oooooooo that hurts but I will keep trying that. we have beautiful blue skies, warm weather during the day and it is glorious.  It's not normally this warm at this time of year.  I can sit out in the sun.  Must not gloat, hee hee.

So many Brits live her from all parts of the UK and Ireland.  Xx

• Posted

With my first knee, it was only a year after the MUA that I felt 'normal' again, so I would say measure from there.

You actually sound as if you are doing really well, exercise-wise.

My knee is stuck again, after having scar tissue removed last Sept, so I'm trying hydrotherapy today.

• Posted

Glad it is helping you, too!

Yes, sleep, when you can finally achieve it, is very helpful all the way around! We heal when at rest. Our bodies truly need a break from all we have been through!

Wishing you good rest and pleasant dreams!

• Posted

Thanks for that Patsyrose.  I think I will definitely start counting from the time if the MUA.  Trying to cook and do housework today For people coming is blooming awful.  

Being in in the pool really seems to help me and even though I can't do everything at the Aqua class I come out feeling lads better, even walking in the water is beneficial.

its quite a battle this whole thing isn't it.  We will get there I hope.

liz x

• Posted

thank you Cheryl.  Not an easy journey.  Take care.

liz x

• Posted

I had my first hydrotherapy session today...so good, so definitely going back for more.  Also, surprisingly, an awful lot cheaper than my normal physio.

And I got a piece of cake and a coffee, too, as it was an open day.

• Posted

Don't be afraid to take the pills.  Not just now and then, but all they why you are in this position. It takes away the pain.  When you are in pain,it is hard to motivate yourself.  Being in water, makes you feel like a human again. Be careful what you do; no twisting and no lunges.  Be patient and strong and most importantly have fun
  • Posted

I know a lot of people on this forum will disagree, but try heat, the downside of a nearly there water bottle is the cold clammy feeling after it has cooled, if you have a wheatie, so much the better + it acts as a good cushion for support, if that's not possible; a soft cushion
    • Posted

One of my daughters bought me a wheat cushion at Christmas and though it didn't help at the time I think I will give that a go at the back of my leg.

i think I am probably not doing too bad as one of my friends forgot I'd had the op when she was with me.  Mind you we were only walking on the flat.  She blooming knew when we went downstairs.

Have a great weekend. I've got friends staying over tonight as they are flying back from Scotland, flight arrives in Paphos, where I am but they live up in the North, the Turkish side.  We are in the Greek side.  About to start cooking.  It's goi g in the slow cooker and Ive already made Chicken liver pate, slimming world version and it is yummy.  That's what started the pain at the back of my leg yesterday so not looking forward to cooking.

xx

• Posted

Just give yourself some credit no and then. Others may notice your progress before you. That is the time to pat yourself on the back..

sounds like you are going to have a PARTY!!!!  Yay bring it on. If you have difficulty going downstairs, go down backwards. It not a permanent thing, but it works "for now". We all need to cheat now and then.  The weather where you are must be heaven. Keep up with the hydro, much better than going to the gym xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.