20mg citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am currently taking 20mg of citalopram at the moment have been for over a year. I have ran out of tablets but found a pack of 10mg so this morning I took two 10mg I was driving up to my aunties on the motorway which is a 2 hour drive and I suddenly had an anxiety attack I had to pull over I felt sick dizzy and my legs went like jelly I thought I was going to pass out I had my 6 year old daughter in the car which scared me more. I managed to calm down about 40 mins later but felt funny alday and have had a very fuzzy head and headache. Could this be because of the two 10mg tablets as I would of thought it would of just been the same to taking my one 20mg. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Mmmm it is strange as you'd think taking 2 x 10mg is equal to 1 x 20mg.  It possibly is the different way in which you took your medicine.  Is it a different brand (Citalopram is made by different companies).  This shouldn't make a different, but have read some people find a difference when taking different brands.  I have read that though the active ingredient is the same, the non active ingredient can be different (the non active incredient is only the coating around the pill).  Maybe this makes a difference.  Our bodies do react to small changes and even little upsets that seem insignificant at the time.

Not really sure - check the packet and blister pack to see if it was a 10mg and if the brand is different.  It's not nice to have a panic attack but seems you did the right thing by pulling over and letting it pass - they always do.

I'm sure it was just your body reacting to a change - our bodies do weird things at times.

Hope you're ok and that you're able to get your prescription for 20mg sorted soon.

Kx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Hollie

Katecogs is right I think 2 x 10 mg would have been fine to take and unusual to have had an attack. All I can think of is that your subconscious may have been telling your brain that something might happen and it did . So the anticipation of side effects may have been the cause of the panic but I'm no expert ! Just a theory! 

The best for you is to renew your original 20 mg and stay on them .Even if your body reacts at first it will pass eventually. keep thinking this is only a blip and you will be back to managing well again .

Felis xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you for the replies. I'm currently away today but home tommrow so don't know whether to skip the two 10mg and wait till I'm home tommrow to take the 20mg. As may have a bad journey again. My gp wanted to up my dose to 30mg a few weeks ago but I'm still to scared to start them sad
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hollie I wouldn't be thinking of upping to 30mg until you have stabilised again on the 20mg. Because upping any dose can bring on unwanted side effects and right now you need to allow your body to settle back down ,
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up