20mg to 30mg citalopram ...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone

I've been on citalopram since February 2016, I started on 10mg then went straight up to 20mg, I'm not sure what side affects I experienced (if any) because I already felt so rubbish. I am on the medication for anxiety.

After a month i felt like I was back to my old self again & things were absolutely amazing!!!

Then unfourently on the 23/4/17 I came crashing back down. Out of nowhere I started feeling anxious again. On edge, panicky, sick, irrational thoughts. Although not as bad as before I was ever on the citalopram but still enough to affect your day to day life

Doctor prescribed me an extra 10mg & has told me to start taking 30mg daily.. which I started today on 9/5/17 .. I have felt tired all day, yawning and got abit of a niggly headache. My question is.... how long is this new dosage going to take to kick in? Because I've already been on the medication quite a while, will it kick in quicker as it's already in my system? Or am I likely to be waiting up to 4 weeks to see any difference?! I am at my wits end. I have every hope that I will feel better again as the medication has worked brilliantly up until last month. So with the upped dosage I am hoping to have the same amazing results..

Thank you for reading x x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kaylie. Im under the impression it will / cpuld take 4 weeks at least. From what ive read from others each dose increase can take the same time or longer and side effects can and usually do come back.

Im 8 days into a 30mg dose and still waiting for relief.

Im sure others will be able to add some words of experience.

Neil

• Posted

Hey Kaylie,

I have had a similar experience to you. Over two months on 20 then felt like I was crashing - upped to 30 (doctor suggested 40 but I didnt want to go up that much straight away). I have been on 30 for two weeks and was told to prepare to face an adjustment period that is as long as it took when I started on 20 (about 5-6 weeks for me - varies for everyone). I have been having hour-two hour long naps every day after work, headaches, feeling out of it etc. I have already noticed the good few hours I have every day are so much better than being on 20. But I have ups and downs (I wrote a post about this only last week on a very bad day). I have moments of anxiety still but you have to trust they will pass.

At the end of the day - whether I have to up the dose again or change meds completely something will work for me. And something will work for you. Its a long process. Enjoy the good days, dont get stuck in the bad. The waves of recovery make it hard, I've had moments where I want to give up, but have someone who can support you through those moments and it will help incredibly.

And be easy on yourself! Take a day off work if you need. Get take out for a week if you're too tired to cook. Make recovery your priority for a while.

Good luck!

Px

• Posted

Hey Kaylie,

I've been in exactly the same boat as you for a little while! However have just started to notice the differnece in little things.

I started on Cit last year in February and have been really well for a year and started declining in April again. Mine was more gradual!

I got impatient and upped the dose to 30mg after 6 days of no improvement. Too soon, I know D:. After that I was on 40 for 12 days which made me feel awful and actually depressed which wasn't my initial problem. However before the anxiety did get me down- but the anxiety was the reason why! If you get me? Lol

Went back down to 30mg and felt a lot better, still not entirely myself yet and get frustrated by that especially at work but getting there!

Unfortunately with our chemicals we have to be patient, these aren't a quick fix but work gradually.

If we woke up feeling amazingly amazing one day, I think everyone would be on them, even if they didn't need to be!

It is still early days and it will lift, just be around people you love and who love you and who you feel comfortable to be around. Also, try not to beat yourself up about the 20mg it's actually the therapeutic starting dose- so you may just need a rebalance for a little while smile

& remember you don't owe anyone anything, only yourself to get better cos you deserve it!

Lots of love

Xo

• Posted

Hi Kaylie,

I was just checking to see how you are doing? I'm currently in the same situation. I've been on fluoxetine for two years and the last year been pretty fine. The last month has been rough as I'm upping my med from 10 to 20mg. It's awful to come crashing back down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.