21 days on citalopram

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I’m 21 days on citalopram for severe anxiety! first week 10mg then up to 20mg. I have had every side effect going, heightened anxiety, nausea, no appetite, dry mouth, spaced out feeling and my eyes look weird 👀 this is the second time on citalopram, and I’m finding it’s taking longer to feel benefits this time round? I’ll be honest, side effects are easing off last couple days but not myself just yet! Any advice and positive reassurance would really help me right now. Anxiety is evil right?!! Cheers x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Ive been the same. Im on my 5th week now on 20mg and the past few days ive felt a little bit more alive. I to have been on them before in the past and they worked really fast and i had no side effects . This time around has been horrible tho 😔 i started to talk to people on here and they all told me to stick with it so thats what ive done and little by little its getting easier . I know its really hard to feel possotive when you feel so poorly . But stick with it and maybe have a chat with your GP . Thats what im gonna do next monday . But im not upping them to 30mg ....... dont fancy going back to square 1 😞

• Posted

It’s awlful isn’t it! One minute you think, oh I seem to be getting less side effects and then bang you wake up with that dreaded anxious feeling againsad 

It’s strange how it works different second time round then isn’t it? 

This forum is really helping me understand these tablets a bit more, the doctor didn’t warn me I would feel this awlful. I’m going doctors ina bit actually so I’ll let you know what they say. 

• Posted

Same here, so I was on cit for 14 years relatively happy and I got so busy o kept forgetting to take it and I only seemed to remember on weekends.  So 4 months later I had a massive anxiety attack.

I started taking my 40mg again but it didn’t help so my doctor put me on 20mg I felt better but then felt bad 2 weeks later. I was then upped to 30mg and have been on it for 9 weeks now 11 weeks in total of cit again. It’s taking so much longer this time 

• Posted

You have been putting your body with setbacks and causing havoc by upping and downing large doses..no wonder you feel like crap...oh it's going to take long with all those drastic changes..that's not how this Medication works..take care

• Posted

So I went doctors and he said it’s all normal what I’m experiencing and reassured me I had got over the worst 2 weeks and should start feeling more benefits in the next 2 -3 weeks! It’s such a rollercoaster and the have to go through heightened anxiety when your already so anxious is exhausting. 

I’m waiting for CBT appointment to come through so I’m hoping the citalopram and therapy will work together and kick this anxiety once and for all! 💪🏽 

• Posted

Hi. Glad you spoke to your doctor . Mine will probably say the same . How long have you been waiting for your CBT appointment ? Ive been waiting about 6 weeks now and not heard a thing 😞 i feel thats whats missing now in my recovery . The tablets are taking some of the panic away but the thoughts are all still there .

• Posted

I know it’s so silly of me to forget so much for so long. I got I’ll anx suddenly started taking my 40mg regularly but the doctor put me down to 20mg I managed that for two weeks didn’t feel better so went up to 30mg. I have steadily been on that for 9 weeks now. Slowly getting there I hope

• Posted

Small advise stop yoyoing with your dosage..don't try to hurry the impossible... because that's not how these Medications work..higher doses of anything are not that friendly to our livers...so hang on nucole...

• Posted

I have stuck with the doctors advice now so 11 weeks back on cit 2 weeks at 20, 9 weeks at 30. Just staying at 30 now and letting it do it’s magic.

I was on 40mg for 14 years, I just got really busy with a nightmare in our house extension and kept forgetting my meds. Then I stupidly just started taking them again and that’s what caused this. 

I would never be without it again or forget or mess around with it. I blamed myself quite a lot for forgetting and putting myself in this situation. But I need to go forwards now and try and get better.

Not sure why at 11 weeks I feel quite bad though? Just keep saying it’s a blip.

Doctor told me as it’s just reintroducing them it should be working already but you guys give great advice so I am holding out 

• Posted

I felt bad thru the fourth month..and then from there it slowly got better.. saying a prayer for you...just hang on.. your body is trying to stabilize ...
    • Posted

Yeah it’s just reasurring to hear it from the doctor, I said I’m not going off my head am I doctor?? and he just said u seem a lot better than 3 weeks ago so no you will be fine, and u have got over the worst of it now haha. 

I’ve been waiting a couple of months, I’m in central London tho so maybe it’s super busy?! 

We will get there in the end and fight this little bully once and for all 💪🏽

Take care x

• Posted

The only difference is the doctors never have experience them selves the effects of ssris..so the folks on this forum are more educated from experience of how these meds work..if they the doctors have experience the consequences of these meds..life would be so much more understandable when entering these Medications..hang on
    • Posted

Hi. Yes the waiting list must be huge !! At the time you feel like your going crazy and that its only you suffering . But its made me feel alot better to know im not the only one who has panic attacks over things most people do week in and week out. Hopefully we are getting closer to the top of that list ay . I have my sisters hen night and wedding to get well for , because at the moment i feel like i couldnt go to either 😞

• Posted

Yeah I know the feeling! And your right, it’s nice to know there’s plenty of people going through the same thing( not that you want anyone to have to suffer like this) but it’s  still comforting anyway haha. 

Oh no, stay positive and determined to get well for your sisters hen and wedding, u will get there and enjoy it I’m suresmile 

Take care, and if you ever wanna talk I’m here. 

• Posted

Hi, you are so right. They don’t understand how powerful these drugs are. I’ve learnt a lot from people on this forum about citalopram and anxiety. We will get there, and see the light at the end of the tunnel 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.