21 weeks post TKR huge problems. Consultant refers me to a 2nd consultant!

Posted , 15 users are following.

Back from hospital. The consultant has requested a second opinion with another consultant, arranged for the 23rd April. The misalignment, is 6mm, which, he says, is within the perimeter allowed for misalignment, that the body eventually (up to 18 months of hell) will adapt to the larger prosthesis, & only in exceptional circumstances of severe chronic pain, do they go in & then it would mean doing the whole thing again. That, he says, is a more serious operation than the first TKR, so it needs to be a "last resort". Meanwhile, my life stays on hold, I'll be addicted to pain killers by the time it gets sorted, & the soft tissue continues to be attacked by a lump of metal. How many of us knew there was a misalignment allowance? How many others struggle on? - it is so much a worse pain than the OA in the old knee.

2 likes, 42 replies

Report / Delete

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know of someone else who had to have second op. Makes me realise how lucky I have been.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I suppose it makes sense that there must be some kind of allowance for misalignment, but nobody ever mentioned it to me...Or that it was actually possible...

I'm 10 months (ish...I tend to forget exacly) down the road, and my knee is still giving me serious gyp.  I've been back to see a consultant, and he says the swelling on my knee isn't actually on my knee, it's in the soft tissue above and to the right of it (RH knee joint)....He said I need a scan to see what's going on, bu that was 3 weeks ago, and I've not received an appointment as yet...still waiting....And the laughable thing he said too was that after the scan I need to book an appointment which will be no more than 2 weeks after the scan...Like that's gonna happen!

I'm wondering If I too have a degree of misalignment which is causing my problems....

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It does sound like it. I have an area of swelling under a "crease" in my knee (which appeared around 10 weeks in), an area above that crease, & one to the RHS of the knee. The radiologist who did the ultrasound, said they were all caused by soft tissue swelling & not fluid. Mine is RH too. I'm convinced this crease is caused by the misalignment, as the radiologist referred to it as a "shelf". They made the appointment for the 2nd opinion there & then today, but I have gut feelings that they all stick together, & say the same things whatever we are going through.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's always going to be the problem....At the slightest hint of a 'problem'...The litigation culture kicks in, and averyone closes ranks...

Don't know if you ever read my internet blog, but in there I mention the possibility of getting the wrong size...But more in terms of the length of it...As I said there might be a possibility of ending up with one leg longer than the other...It was more of a jovial type observation, but I didn't realise the orientation of each prosthetic to the other might be a problem...But now we know it's a distinct probability.

Incidentally....if you or anyone else wants to read the blog...Just google:

"Pete Morris: Personal account of my impending knee operation."

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've just read it! Excellent reading & love the funny bits, as we've all been there. Your x-ray is an eye-opener, & as far as a lay-woman like me can say - yours is not misaligned. The new bit that wraps around the top bone, the top part of the "wrap", is very close to the bone on your x-ray. That is where mine is 6mm sticking out.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Pete - I have read your blog with interest and am sorry to hear about your ongoing problems. Mine in comparison (28th November) has gone smoothly - maximum bend as far as the hardware allows after 8 weeks and straight leg now - I am having my left knee done April 10th. I was interested looking at your x rays in comparison to mine - mine appears to have a much bigger gap between the two pieces as below than yours - no idea of course if this has anything to do with your issues but is intiguing. 

Best of luck with your recovery - I felt same pain as you in the early days and it was tough !

David

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh Veronica, that sounds dreadful. I can only suggest that when you see the second consultant you emphasise that you are in dreadful pain and that the revision surgery must be done.  If the knee isn't fitting then you need to get it sorted. I think sometimes people are reluctant to voice the fact that they do have severe chronic pain with sufficient vigour so make your case really clearly.  I am sure the 23rd cannot come soon enough for you! Very best wishes.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Veronica......taking pain meds as prescribed will not lead to addiction. Its when you start your own routine you run into trouble. Its the folks that go on the theory that if ones good, 2 should be twice as good and if every 3 hrs works good, every 2.5 hrs is spectacular. Pretty soon the mind get a little addled and you just reach for the pill bottle every time you think you are hurting

By the same token, if it says every 4 hrs don't decide on your own that you aren't hurting so you'll just wait. Then the pain is so bad you have trouble getting it under control.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No I never knew that! What else is there that we've not been told!!! Does make you wonder why you had the op in circumstances like this.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was never told this in 2004 when I had the original tkr but the surgeon did get my permission to allow the prosthesis sales rep in surgery for ongoing consultation. Because of the time of day, I always assumed they were actually having lunch and an afternoon round of golf. As a matter of fact, I asked if they were going to have enough time to change or if they were going to have to play in their scrubs. Not much of a reaction from either
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have to say that my surgeon was very clear about the risks, including misalignment which could arise from the prosthesis being slightly the wrong size. They only make the various components in a certain range of sizes and they use the one closest to your natural anatomy but I think it is possible to fall unhappily between sizes.  I suspect that as bespoke knees which are computer designed to fit a specific individual become more affordable this will be a thing of the past - no comfort to those who find themselves in such a horrible situation.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No-one mentioned any risks! The booklet I signed to accept the surgey, had "risks" inside it. I would have gone ahead anyway, as it would have been a case of "that will never happen to me"!

I'm trying to think more positive. I can't change what happened, but at the moment I can't walk our boisterous dogs, can't run with my two young grandchildren, can't go upstairs to my kitchen (on the 3rd floor) very quickly - the list goes on & on.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear that Veronica. . .I think very few of us were really told the whole story before we undertook this operation.  On web sites about the op I am still seeing statements like 'full recovery can take up to three months!'   they are living totally in cloud cuckoo land. . .full recovery except for a few lucky people is more like nine months to two years.  If I had known the full story, given my level of pain pre op, I doubt I would have done it. I understand people with severe pre op pain have little choice . . . I wouldn't worry so much about being addicted to the pain killers.  After eight weeks I was addicted, so ou probably already are. . but when you finally candrop them, by doing it very gradually, you should not have to suffer the side effects of withdrawal . . However, long periods on pain killers is never such a good idea.  You must feel like murdering your surgeon . . . 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

How did you know there could be this 6mm alignment problem? 

What were your symptoms? xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It has been a gut feeling all along - you know your own body & I usually rally round very quickly - so here goes - exceptional chronic pain for the whole 21 weeks (so far), knee buckling when you least expect it, painful soft tissue swellings in various areas over the whole knee, a dreadful clunking sound, when one of my dogs knocks my knee a pain that shoots through the whole leg, an inability to go up stairs (let alone down) normally despite numerous tries - add that to the sleepless nights & now the "down" feelings, it has been, & I now expect it to stay, a nightmare.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

And I forgot - they arranged an ultrasound, (18th March) & the radiologist measured the misalignment & sent the report back, so it is in black & white (I actually saw it today, with my consultant meeting).
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up