21 years old and unsure

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there,

Im 21 years old and have recently been diagnosed with depression. The doctor gave me complete choice over how to start to manage with things and i will be seeing a mental health worker, am using 'mood gym' online and also did initially agree to taking medication.

He prescribed me fluoxetine. I have read around it and what it can be like, only im scared about what the side effects might do to me? I really want to get better and get my life back on track - i know its going to take time but Im sceptical doing it whilst being altered by medication.

I suffer fairly badly with a nervous stomach, and currently with nausea and feeling spaced out anyway and i dont want to get worse or mess my body up any more physically.

I just want some advice from people who have taken this drug, in terms of if it has had any physical complications that have been terrible?!

Is this drug really as good as it sounds or am i right to be cautious?!

thankyou.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You're right to be cautious about any drug you take. I have been taking fluoxetine for three weeks and still feel deeply depressed. Alas, I [i:3714d0dbe0]have[/i:3714d0dbe0] had some of the common side effects - nausea, loss of appetite, chronic insomnia. The doctor says it can take 4 to 6 weeks before you notice any improvement in mood. It was only because I was so severely depressed that I agreed to the tablets. I'll persevere for another month - I could do with losing a few more pounds anyhow! But if I don't see any improvement by the new year, I'll ask to come off the pills.

There's plenty of info on the web and people's descriptions of their experiences with the drug can give you a better idea than I can if it's going to be suitable for you. But if you are depressed then some sort of treatment will certainly be needed.

Good luck.

• Posted

thanks for the reply scott, each experience i hear is helping me to weigh up the pro's and cons even though i know that everyone is different and will respond differently to certain drugs.

Im still fairly adamant that i'd like to try helping myself without the fluoxetine, and i also am awaiting blood tests (having them tomo) to check for few other possible problems which might be adding to the vicious circle that seems to be causing my depression.

i dont think i can afford to lose much more weight - im hardly big anyway but with current loss of appetite due to emotionally feeling down i need to make sure i am able to want food and keep it down!

I aim to discuss using/not using these or other methods (e.g. might try st. johns wart?) further with my GP at next appt and as mentioned will continue using online therapy and seeing mental health worker.

Anyway, I wish you luck for continuing treatment and as i keep telling other people - i know my own body, ive lived in it for 21 years... so if you know its not helping you physically (or emotionally if theres no improvment?) then is it worth it?!

many thanks

• Posted

Hi

This is my 3rd time on fluoxetine over the past few years. I can honestly say that I have never had any problems on these pills at all and have no problems being \"weaned off them\" either. At present I take 2 tablets a day which is the highest dose I have ever had but this is because this is the worst bout of depression I have suffered. It really does take 3 to 4 weeks before they \"Kick in\" and help and please believe me when they do it is like you can breathe again and see how bad you have really been.

I also joined a gym as my GP suggested excercise as it is a great mood lifter!!!!

You may only need a short course of tablets to get your life back on track so please be assured that you will be fine on these pills!!!

Take care

x

• Posted

If only i had read your post when you sent it (although potentially that was still slightly too late and beside my laptop bust itself!)...

boxing day was particularly bad for me after discussion with my ex and hearing things i didnt really wanna hear but the question was bugging me and she forced me to ask her on the fone.... i went and drunk myself in a state, trashed my room and fortunatly managed to get hold of a good friend who talked me out of ending it all. I hate feeling like theres no light!

either way, after returning to family home following the crash and burn....not much has changed and i think i have to now accept that (and possibly ive always known) I need to try the tablets. i have nothing to lose, and now i see that i have everything to gain.

so, after i had to make a slightly embarassing fone call to a housemate because i'd left the pills behind and they were in a drawer of my personal/adult things...they are now on the way in the post to me!

I am now looking forward to taking them... as much as im still scared shitless of what could be. but..if its a light then theres hope?!

I have also decided that i might make a video diary of my experiences on the tablets... could be interesting to watch back eh?!

thankyou to everyone who replied and i hope that some people at least laughed at my embarassing story!

there is hope, and depression shouldnt be so hidden.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.