25mg for 2 months, how long will these withdrawels last

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I was prescribed Amitriptyline 25mgs for IBS. Ive been taking them for exactly 2 months but they werent doing anything for me so decided to stop. My doc only gave me 8 weeks prescription anyway and told me i wouldnt have withdrawels at a low dose and short period of time.

The first few days were fine but the last few havent been good at all. Im terribly anxious, high heart rate over 100bpm, sweating, dizzing and lightheaded.

Was wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of withdrawel after only a 2 month period and could they advise how long these symtpoms will last?

Any info would be appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andre, I had withdrawal like yours and I was only on 20mg. What I was told though was to reduced gradually. Stick with it, your symptoms should calm down.  If not, please see your doctor again
    • Posted

Debra thank you. I went to the doc and she said that I am just on the boarder line for length of time taking it and I am unfortunate to be getting withdrawals after 2 months. She wasn't the one who prescribed it and she said she hated the drug and would rarely prescribe it. I don't want to go back and taper cause I didn't react well to it anyway . Was getting dizzy, stupid , tired and even started getting red blemishes on my skin and would bruise easily

• Posted

Definitely don't go back and taper. Keep with it! I felt dizzy and anxious on them and don't ever want to feel that way again. I have been off them a year and feel so much better now. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you again, your reply was really appreciated . Just hope these symptoms don't last months

• Posted

These medications come in 25mg and 10mg, if you are running out of the drug you are expected to withdraw complete of the drug. If your GP is willing to give you some tens you could split the dose to 20mg, consit of 2x 10mg=20mg, then 10mg x1 After a week you are off. However the dose of Amytryptalene you are taking is very small. so you should be able to come off the straight away. You have been on them for two months, withdrawal  Affects will be very slight. I personally feel going cold turkey will not be a problem.

I take this drug for nuro damage at 75mg daily, this is also a low dose.

Good Luck

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.