26 and found out today I have high cholesterol

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone I have had a blood test done which showed my cholesterol as high at 5.9 and should be below 5 apparently. I am 26 with no history of this and I am scared because I have noticed some chest pains and palpitations although I have a history with those anyway. I have felt so spaced out today and tired and scared like I feel my body is packing up and I have felt worse since getting the results. I have anxiety also so I never feel well as it is but lately I have felt terrible ie really tired, palps, mild chest pain and feeling a sense of dread. When I look round everything looks weird like bright. What do I do to lower my cholesterol? What foods do I eat and what do I avoid? I have not got a clue and I'm scared to eat now. I'm due to see my gp this week. My blood pressure is always normal sometimes raised but they always say its because I'm anxious which I can tell because I feel worked up inside and hot. I do have bad diet if I'm honest and I don't exercise x

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My GP advised the mediterranian diet ie lots of salad and oily fish. It didn't work for me but give it a try before the statin option. I would get the chest pain checked out.

• Posted

Please dont worry about that level. Mine was 15.9 at highest, apparently highest my gp had ever seen. I am still here, that was tested almost two years ago. My triglycerides were 28.5 and should be no higher than 1.9. I amnow on meds. My heart is fine altough I was worried sick at first. Even afer meds they only went down to just over 5. I stopped statins a few months ago du to pains so the have gone up slightly to 6.9-I had a letter today. I dont want to go back on statins so gonna just be a bit more careful with diet.

i would not worry about your levels but if you arejust cut a few things out of your diet and introduce a few morehealthy options. Anxiety wont help. I take a lot of meds for various things including depression and I am sure they dont help either x

• Posted

HI Moo, I have just had mine tested, it was 6.2 my GP said she is not worried at all as new guidelines say under 6.5 is ok. I am 56 female with all the chest, pains, palps etc, My CPR level is 6.3 which again is considered high with regard to heart disease, again my GP said not a problem. If my GP is not worried what hope have I got getting anywhere. I am overweight so will try to sort this out and get it down myself. It is hard not to be anxious I spend my time worrying about my health so I do understand. Take care
  • Posted

Hi - I posted 10 months ago as my levels were 5.7. Obviously I was worried as I am 72. Decided to have a plate of porridge every day as we already ate a healthy diet. Had a test done last week and my reading was down to 4.9. Doctor was very impressed and delighted that I had got it down to below 5 with out medication. I would not take statins as my husband was put on them and woke up screaming with pains in his legs and was walking about like a zombie. Try a plate of porridge as this is one of the things that can reduce your levels.  Good luck if I can do it so can you.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.