2nd flare up - fed up

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all 

Well this is my second flare up.  First one was in May although I've had symptoms for years just didn't realise it was DD.  Doctor diagnosed diverticulitis in May.  

For the last two weeks I've been getting night time nausea and ignored it but last week suddenly developed the abdominal pain and horrendous nausea which I mistakenly thought was just a bug/cold/flu.  

However, dawned on me late Friday night it could be another flare up so managed to see an out of hours GP on Saturday and am on Amoxicillin and Metronidazole again.  

A few questions :  

1) How long can a flare up last ?  (this one seems horrendously worst since my last one).

2) Felt lower back ache this weekend as well - anyone had this also ?  Another symptom?

3) Night time nausea - this seems to be the worst for me as it disturbs my sleep - anyone else have this?  

I've had the night time nausea for years but put it down to menopause!

Be grateful for any comments/advise.  I'd been drinking Kefir which I found helped but lapsed on this recently and think the heavy indulgence in tomatoes and some vodka too is what has tipped me over the edge this time.  Both a definite no no in future.  

Best wishes to all. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Anna sorry to hear your having another flare. Most of my bad flares last a week or so but when I’ve had antibiotics for diverticulitis it usually takes longer 2 weeks or more. Each diverticulitis episode for me got worse each time, which unfortunately is a known problem with DD. 

My lower left back pain is usually in sync with my lower right abdominal pain, but occasionally I just get the back pain. When it’s really acting up I get pain on my left side from my toes to shoulder. 

I do experience the nighttime nausea when I lay on my left side, which for me is difficult because i’m A side sleeper.

Have you tried the FODMAP diet? I just learned about it, but i’ve Been kinda doing it myself for years, I just started it today.

• Posted

Hi Anna did your gp diagnose DD its usually initially diagnosed by way of a scan or  colonoscopy.  I personally cant eat tomatoes and I  definitely cant drink alcohol at all so it may well be a flare but you will need to see your gp again if it is severe as you might need antibiotics or further investigation. Good luck
  • Posted

You don’t get the really hard pains that last ? You ever get any blood ?  How was you diagnosed ? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.