2nd Knee replacement in 15 weeks

Posted , 10 users are following.

Went in on Monday had right knee replacement have never felt so ill,cannot eat and have been in a comatozed state.nothing like the Left leg which was worse,after a few days I did get back to normal eating.

Came home on Wednesday after doing the stairs test and the 90 degree knee bend,but have felt so ill sickly feeling with not eating.

I am trying to eat and get my strength up for Physio on Monday.

leg pain is bad but just taking Paracetamol for it getting a good nights sleep is a No No again or getting comfy.

from a very down patient

1 like, 26 replies

Report / Delete

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn

You're very brave having 2 so close together...I waited almost 2 years before I scheduled in my 2nd one...and have had to have manipulations on both (last one just last w/e).

you don't sound as if you have powerful enough meds...you need something stronger.

patsy 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Poor you Lynn but this is how it is for most of us.  I couldn't sleep in my bed, sofa was more comfortable.  Still very early days for you though.  They won do much with you on Monday, far too early.  Just try and rest and don't worry xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

As much as I feel like death warmed up I have been bending my leg,how good an I but I know it has to be done I have today got a bit off food down me thank god 

it is hard when your other leg is only 15 weeks done but I was in Florida at 7 weeks in the sun for two weeks ...in jan 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Its so strange its almost eerie the difference you see in the body reactions to the very same proceedure. So sorry you are going through this awful feeling. I suppose you can ask a dozen people and get like number of answers. It might be as simple as the anesthesia and the way it was administered or a little extra bleeding that has weakend you some

As long as they have checked your blood levels and other blood issues you are probably on track

As far as therapy...if you aren't feeling well and strong, tell your therapist that he/she is just going to have to tone it down a bit till your body allows you to go full blast. I had an incident yesterday that has left me in real pain for the 1st time since having the prosthesis removed almost 4 weeks ago. Yesterday the weekend occupational therapist had me on a piece of equipment to strengthen my upper body and left my knee hang where its always been elevated. I can do o.k. pain wise as long as the meds hold up.......then its like the 3rd day after surgery. You take care of yourself and let's hope the system adjusts quickly. You certainly have endured enough the last few months.........you deserve only the best. Spring is starting to show promise and I know you are anxious as I to get out and enjoy it

Less than 2 months now for me to get my new prosthesis installed. Saw the surgeon a week ago. He says next surgery will be a snap..... He didn't tell me whether that was a snap for him or me

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Hun,

this leg was nothing like left leg I am reporting the antithesis as she was one Bitch...she told me I was having a Spinal tap. I said No I am not I was a G A she was fuming and walked out the room ...she was so cold and callus when I was ready to be put out.

she just put the canular right in blood everywhere...she said to the guy we have a competition who spills the most blood in here or the theatre... I tried to sit up and she shoved me down and whoosh came the cold in my veins and I was gone....

i woke up thank god and I told my Husband as he heard her talking to me in the room and he said she was rude.

i will be reporting her to the hospital when I get my strength up,I do feel a bit better this evening I have ate a little roast dinner yay!!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Why do people like that work in the medical field. . maybe they are just sadists and enjoy being nasty to people!  I had one like that. . most were fine though!  But it's a moment when you really don't need any more aggro, do you!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Aaww, Lynn, I've just seen this post after replying to you on another thread. So sorry to hear you're feeling down. Do you think you need stronger painkillers? Or are you afraid of them making you more nauseous? I took the strong cocodamol for a good few weeks and made sure I was taking them regularly every 6 hours. I was off my food for a good while too but this continued even after I stopped the strong painkillers.

hope you can get some rest. I think tiredness makes the pain worse. You know all about resting and icing. I wish there was something I could suggest to help but you know just as much as me! 

Just remember that these feelings pass eventually. All I can say is that I sympathise and am thinking of you.

Jen xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You went home so soon after the op . .I'm not surprised you are feeling down!  I was sent home with just paracetamol, and the first week or so before I was able to get to the doctor and scream at him for something stronger was pretty bad. . .I didn't eat anything for three days (hospital food was incredibly bad as well!) and didn't even start to feel improvement until they gave me a blood transfusion. I assume they have checked you aren't anaemic?  Hope you are able to tolerate a stronger painkiller, and also that soon you will begin to feel a bit better. . . 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Martin

yes bloods all ok it's just the eating that is doing me in but I'm starting to get there I have stopped being sick.its not the pain doing it it's the feeling the yucky belly...well physio tomorrow will let you know how I get on

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I had a general once in spain, and it was a friend who did the anaesthetic, and he promised me that with the drugs he used I wouldn't be sick . .and I wasn't  He told me it's a matter of economics . . cheap anaesthetics make you sick, the expensive ones don't!  Never heard that anywhere else, but he was an anaesthetist!   . It's what I really hate about a general, and the spinal does have an advantage there. . however, hearing every bang and saw and clunk and clic during the op was not a lot of fun!  and it was SOSOOOOO cold. . . . 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've never had nor was I offered anything but general. The last 4 times I was awake and eating within a few hours. Never any hangover or sickness so maybe it is the choice of drugs rather than the individual administrating said drug.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I tend to think that it may be.  Of course, everyone does respond differently to anaesthetic, but when i had a general here in Tenerife, I was sick for days.  . .horrible!. . . when I had the gall bladder operaton, anaesthetized by a friend in Murcia, Spain, I was as fit as a fiddle, and swimming after ten days.  However, have to say that the same day, in the same hospital (different anaesthetist thank heavens) a man having an operation on his foot died, because the anaesthetist left the operating theatre for a smoke, and the patient had a problem . . . . no anaesthetist. . . not a good situation! . . . 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's absolutely incredible to think anyone could be that irresponsible. Thankfully, I go to a teaching hospital (university med center) and they have the teaching staff and a couple of residents in the theater. There ate so many people doing I sometimes wonder how they get anything done.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up