2nd Knee replacement in 15 weeks

Posted , 10 users are following.

Went in on Monday had right knee replacement have never felt so ill,cannot eat and have been in a comatozed state.nothing like the Left leg which was worse,after a few days I did get back to normal eating.

Came home on Wednesday after doing the stairs test and the 90 degree knee bend,but have felt so ill sickly feeling with not eating.

I am trying to eat and get my strength up for Physio on Monday.

leg pain is bad but just taking Paracetamol for it getting a good nights sleep is a No No again or getting comfy.

from a very down patient

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry Lynn, I think I've got you confused with another Lynn who I replied to on another thread. I still send you my good wishes and sympathy though.

Jen 

• Posted

Why only paracetamol? you need better pain relief to recover and to exercise. Also might help with bit of sleep.
  • Posted

HiLynn

I had to have a manipulation as my knee wouldn't straighten fully.  UnfortunTely, you can get adhesions growing across the knee, and these have to be 'torn' under general anaesthetic. You then use a continuous passive motion machine i hospital for a couple of days.  The manipulation on my first knee achieved a lovely straight leg, but this one hasn't been as successful, so a lot ofpaintryi g to stretch it out and lift it.  Unfortunately and historically, I have always had very tight quads and this doesn't help.  I also work at home at a desk all day...so that's not good. Or it either.

• Posted

i only had one knee done and i wouldnt have another one done,i am taking paracetamol and i understand what you mean about the pain i dont have any appertize for food so the pills are makeing me sick and dizy and even with a pillow between my knees dont help. im lucky if im getting a hour sleep so the next day im totaly wiped out , and feel weak i no its still early days since mine was done on the 5 of march 
    • Posted

Can you not take something stronger than paracetamol?  When I left hospital, it was all I was prescribed, and I was a total wreck . .the pain, lack of sleep, lack of appetite. . . and I went back to my doctor as soon as I could get an appointment and asked for something stronger. he prescribed Zaldiar, which is a mix of tramadol and paracetamol.  From the moment I started on that I began to feel more able to do the exercises, face the thought of the physiotherapist torturing me, etc. . .I could NOT have done it on paracetamol only.  I know some people can't take stronger drugs . . but there are several different ones, and you could perhaps try . . don't give up!  ask for stronger pain control . . 
    • Posted

Marlene, tiredness etc all normal but you do need some decent pain relief.  As martina says, go back to your doctor and ask him for something stronger.  I wish you well xx
    • Posted

With all of the names and strengths there are very few who shouldn't be able to find relief without becoming zombified. In my 12 + year battle with leg problems I find primary care docs are much more attuned to being open minded to help than are surgeons. Sehpw, the average surgeon thinks that he performed his miracle and therefore anyone still having pain within the prescribed time frame is either a weakling, a pain med shopper or trying for a quantity so they can deal them on the street so, with gov't agencies abounding trying to control drugs the docs would rather short the patient than fight gov't regulators. Likey drs have told me, we know you aren't a dealer so we'll get you whatever help you need.
    • Posted

Yes I agree. . my  primary care doctor was a lot more help than the surgeon. As the surgeon said to me on my first visit at ten days    'I've  done my bit. . now it's up to you.  I get tired of   doing perfect operations only to see them ruined by patients . . . yeah yeah , easy to say when it isn't your knee killing you on three paracetamol a day!  In the end he did prescribe me tramadol, but not happily, and with  dire predictions of a MUA if I didn't improve at the six weeks consultation!
    • Posted

There's an old story about the guy who reaches heaven and goes to the golf course. Here come a guy with a stethoscope around his neck demanding people hurry up and pushing his way through. The new fellow says " boy, that Dr must think he's God. The fellow next to him replies "No, that's God, he thinks he's a Dr".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.