3 1/2 months post op. Pain in the **** help please

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello as title suggests, today I have a really sharp pain in my buttock area, its behind the scar not on the scar area. I try to get out for a walk everyday but todays weather is putting me off today, when I do walk out, I also get dull pain in outer thigh area (top) and also around my outer knee, the pain is not dissimilar to shin splint pain that I used to get occasionally when I could run (if only I could now!) Anybody had or having similar issues? Any advice greatly appreciated as it's driving me bonkers. Didn't want to start a new thread but having scrolled most of the morning cannot find anything recent. Uk and posterior to be clear! Thanks

Helen

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Is it the 'sitting on a pile of golf balls' that many of us get?

It really is brutal in the operating theatre, so it's not surprising we suffer many pains after this operation.

It all seems to depend on just how the surgeon gained access to do the operation and how you heal afterwards. Muscles are cut and parted, and they don't all go back in the right place afterwards, which I believe is why sticking to the physio's exercise regime is so important. Walking on rougher surfaces also helps you with balance.

• Posted

Hi Rocketman, thanks for responding. No it's not the bag of spanners sensation, I am almost through that and has only been a slight discomfort, this is more shooting pain through buttock. Have done nothing untoward it just started this morning, never suffered nerve pain before so not sure if this is that. It does take my breath away and am feeling quite low today so this is just adding to my angst. I went to your helpful thread earlier, good tips!

• Posted

Also forgot to add, no physio here in deepest Derbyshire, just a sheet of paper from the Nuffield on 'departure' basically, gerron with it!

• Posted

Ooh, that's not good - I think that everyone should be entitled to decent support, considering how much it costs the NHS to do the operation.

It does sound like nerve pain - sharp and sudden.

• Posted

I did respond but think it's thrown a wobbler. Had well respected surgeon up here, 3 day hospital stay was fine. just hoping it's a blip, resting on my heated bean bag currently and feels ok. Will see how it goes. Thanks!

Helen

• Posted

If it's any help, my in-hospital physio here in Nova Scotia Canada was just basically reviews of what was on the sheets, so you may not be missing much.

I did add in some private physio, as much as I could afford, at about 4 months, as was impatient with my progress. I would suggest checking with your surgeon asap for any new untoward pains, and then trying some squats to start, if given green light by the doc.

Melanie, 51, 10 months post R THR, lateral approach

• Posted

There are a plethora of videos on YouTube for post op exercises from different health authorities in the UK and USA.

• Posted

Hi am just over 1 year post op THR and am experiencing the same problems as you. My pain also goes down the leg at times.

Have had an Ultrasound Guided Cortisone injected at the top of one leg which has stopped all the pain in butt and the leg, but the other leg and butt is now really painful. I sympathise with you and hope you press on to get some treatment

• Posted

Thanks for the response. Glad you have one side sorted, but it's not ideal. I am hoping this is just a blip, the bum pain, getting the heat bean bag on it shortly. I also think my leg pain is a little bit associated with over compensation after limping (adjusting) for so long before the op, I had similar when I had an undetected ankle break a few years back, just call me lucky! 😦 I will give them the heat treatment and anti inflammatory for now and sit tight, so to speak.

• Posted

I had surgery four months ago, and yeah, I have gotten pain in the middle of the buttock and in the knee and the shins ... I seem to feel it in one area and then another ..

I think this is still the soft tissue adjusting ... and the bone adjusting. They do a lot of cutting and stretching and pulling no matter the approach ... and that takes a while to fully heal. And yes, if we've been compensating for a while (maybe putting off surgery) ... then I think the muscles have a lot of learning.

The tissues and muscles have to learn to work with the new device.

The tissues and muscles that went to sleep when compensating ... are now being asked to wake up and carry their weight.

And the tissues are healing from all the cutting and bleeding and all of that.

Slow down for a few days ... Any chance you increased your activity? ... That's almost predictably when I feel soreness ... right after a breakthrough .. .when I have the bad habit of pushing things even further ... Oh my walking felt great yesterday ... lemme double my walking time tomorrow ... and then add in exercising at the gym the next day. Yes, that's when pain shows up for me ... or if I'm sitting a long time without moving on a particular day ... Sometimes these are all combined.

Icing helps ... and pains meds and chilling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.