3 day IBS flare up

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. Since midday Sunday I've been experiencing a really bad IBS flare up. Saturday was a good day for me, stomach wise, so I wasn't really watching what I was eating. In the evening I ate a creamy mushroom risotto, an ice cream, a fair bit of chocolate, and some sweets. Probably not a good idea I know.

Sunday morning I was experiencing stomach ache, and then midday I had a bout of diarrhea, followed by another bout shortly after, and a couple more bouts throughout the day. Monday morning I passed a solid stool first of all (although still rather soft), but then had two more rather urgent trips to the bathroom in the morning which got progressively looser,and eventually turned into diarrhea. I took a codeine phosphate which my dr prescribed for me, and I didn't have another bowel movement for the rest of the day, although I did still experience stomach ache,and had to rush to the loo a few times thinking I had diarrhea, but it just turned out to be wind.

This morning, as soon as I woke up, I've been having really loose stools/diarrhea again, and bad stomach cramps. I'm also now passing mucas.

I also suffer from anxiety, and it's making me feel anxious that it's not going to stop, and I'm worrying as I have work tomorrow.

Is it normal for a flare up to last this long? I've never had it this bad for this long before. I'm assuming it is a flare up and not a stomach bug, as I don't feel unwell.

I would really appreciate any advice or to hear anyone else's experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Vicky

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. If I have a bad episode, the stomach ache can last for three or four days. I know mushroom is on my banned list as I am following the fodmap diet. My last flare up was after a grapefruit lolly and some grapes!
    • Posted

Hi

How are you getting on with the fodmap diet?

Junie

• Posted

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I've not heard of the foodmap diet before. I'll have a look into it. I haven't received any advice from my doctor really. All he seems to do is prescribe me medication.

• Posted

It was probably the mushrooms, ice cream and chocolate that caused the flare up, all of which high FODMAP foods, and having all 3 in one day has probably made things especially bad. It does sound like a flare up. Mine can last several days until they completely clear up, but generally the diarrhea starts to ease off after a couple of days. 

It WILL stop, although I can understand how anxious you feel. It sounds as though most of the irritants are out of your system by now. 

Have you tried Immodium? For me, not only does it relieve the diarrhea but it also alleviates the anxiety that I'm going need the loo urgently, so it helps to break that vicious circle. 

And perhaps no more mushrooms or chocolate unless you're happy to spend the next week or so with wind, cramps, and worry about loose bowel movements. 

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I do usually use immodium, but just thought as I had a few days off work and haven't got to gp out anywhere, I was just trying to let it run its course. I'll definately be taking some tonight though and tomorrow morning in the hope that they'll stop the diarrhea and I'll be able to go to work. I've had a few times where the immodium has failed me though, so it doesn't always take my anxiety away.

I feel like the diarrhea is a bit worse today, but really hoping the immodium will help.

Thanks again!

• Posted

Go back to very plain easily digestible foods for a few days- white everything, no fat, only well cooked veg, no dairy.
  • Posted

Hey. Always watch what you eat, I'm a big beliver in plain food and no dairy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.