3 days post op- any advice please

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am 3 days after THR on right hip. Still in hospital. This is my second one so i know whats ahead of me but have forgotten some of the hard bits.!

My leg is so swollen today but i've got ice on it to help-

Only problem i'm having is getting into bed. Because the leg is so swollen i cant lift it up. Any suggestions on how i can get into bed easier.

Mary

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello

The nurses helped me with that in hospital.

When i got home i used my dressing gown cord and threw it around my leg and pulled the leg up and i would move my upper body as well....now after 3 weeks of that i can get in without it as i can lift my leg.

Go well with your recovery.

x

• Posted

Hi Mary

You can buy leg lifting straps that make things a lot easier. Just search online - they're not expensive. You can also fashion one from a dressing gown cord.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Lilylou and Arlowood

Thanks for your help. Will try that with the dressing gown cord. Its a great idea.

And yes the nurses help me get into bed. I can manage to get out so its not too bad

thanks

• Posted

Hi Mary I am on day 26 and I only discovered this amazing group 2 days ago so struggled through everything blind!

I managed to get my leg on the bed by asking my daughter to hold it. I wish I knew about ice ( why the hospital didn't tell me baffles me)

What have I struggled with?

SLEEPING!!!!! (still am and feel like its bringing me down)

Having to have blood thinning injections every night (tonight is the last one!)

Wearing those stockings day and night (still am)

No energy or desire to do anything.

The aftercare has been shocking but thankfully when I have my second one I will be prepared!

Sending hugs, love and prayers keep strong X

• Posted

Hi Carol

The hospital left me to manage on my own, no real advice, just a piece of paper with a few exercises, no icing. When I rang the hospital's physio department asking can I do this or that all they said was if it hurts stop (obvious).

Real reason I am writing to you is, are you eating lots of good home cooked food veg, spinach (important) it does help with mood and energy.

• Posted

To be honest I was comfort eating which is not good, but this week I have been eating healthy. Pity party is over time to be disciplined.

I am at my first physio appointment this afternoon since leaving the hospital like you I was given a piece of paper and told to do the exercises 4 times a day (which I have done).

I still have my dressing on because once again no guidance!

I have my son and daughter home from UNI which is really helpful but I feel for all those people who have no support X

• Posted

For the Hose/stockings - if you use a pair of rubber kitchen gloves it makes it so much easier getting them on and off. Also I use a baggie over my toes to help get them on and then the baggy just slides out the end.

Glad you finally found us.

• Posted

Hi carol

My twin sister found this forum for me 2 years ago. It's been such a help.

The hospital have given 2 ice packs this morning and the swelling is going down ever so slightly.

And i know what you mean with the dreaded stockings and sleeping on your back

I found with my other hip that if i took naps at night and got out and walked for a few mins, this really helped and i used to then read my book until i felt tiredness setting in again.

And the feeling of no energy, i remember that so well. I found just going outside for a little walk helped me, and sometimes a good cry helped too( when no one was watching me!!!)

Wishing you a speedy recovery and stay in touch xxxx

• Posted

just returned from physio. My dressing has been removed. One crutch removed. Given more exercises. Not allowed to sleep on operative side until 6weeks after operation and 12 weeks non-operative side! X

• Posted

I was given a sort of strip of material in hospital which I looped round my foot and lifted my leg into bed. It was one of the best gadgets along with the grabber that I had.

• Posted

Hi ptolemy

Thanks for that advice. Physio today showed me easy way of shuffling bum into bed and using the hand part of the crutch to get the leg into bed!

And i agree with you the grabber is the best gadget there is xxx

• Posted

Hi All,

I also agree the grabber was the best tool and still is.

its amazing what it can be used for.

I had my THR begin of Nov 18.

I also have been given the sheet with some exercises on. I was only told not to bent down more than 90 degree, but no idea for how long...

I was not told that I couldn't lie on my non operated side, but I found it uncomfortable for at least 6 weeks.

I try to lie on the operated side now but it still hurts.

I can't sleep very well yet even tho I am on sleeping tablets.

I have just started work again this Monday gone and hoped I would sleep better, but no.

I am still on quite a few painkillers, which on its own should make me sleepy, but still no.

But I am sure it will get better at one point.

I am down to one crutch when I go for a walk and use no aid when in the house or just outside.

Another tip someone gave to me to get the operated leg into bed is, sit on the bed with the operated leg closest to the bed and put your healthy leg underneath the leg and lift it up and into bed.

it helped me in hospital.

Hope everyone is getting better quickly.

Petra

• Posted

I must admit that bit if material to lift my foot was really brilliant. I don't know why they don't give them to everyone. It was actually free, they tried to sell us grabbers etc!

• Posted

Good morning Petra I think sleep seems to be the big issue for many people. It's like my body will not switch off. Trying to sleep is a chore and I have no desire to sleep even though my body is exhausted!

Each night I face a LONG LONG frustrating night and get excited once it gets to 5am.

Onward Upward one day this will be a memory X

• Posted

Hi Carol,

I have completed my first week back at work and feel totally exhausted but I bet I still won't sleep better.

Atleast its weekend and I can rest at least.

Petra

• Posted

Six months post THR and I still have trouble with sleep. I dont like sleep meds , but have found a Benedryl at bedtime will get me 5-6 hours of good sleep. For me I don't get the morning sluggishness that comes from sleeping pills. Might be worth a try. Good luck! Deborah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.