3 weeks after TKR - Sitting questions???

Posted , 5 users are following.

3 days short of 3 weeks. Early days but apparently I am doing good, pain level is "normal" (a lot- Dilaudid every 4 hours). I cannot sit for more than 5 min - very painful and uncomfortable whether I have swelling or little to none. Worried - my surgeon told me today that he doesn't see me going back to work for another 2 months. I was crazy thinking I will go back after 4 weeks. But in order to prepare for that I need to be able to sit...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The healing road for this operation is very long for most of us. As I bought my wife a racing day out with friends I tried to go 4 days after my TKR in a wheelchair. There was a concert after the racing, but could not last, had to get home to be on the bed.

Sitting for long periods was ok after 6 weeks for myself.

Good healing

• Posted

I think you should try elevating your leg and ice ice ice. Stay hydrated. And just chill.
  • Posted

Going back to work after 4 weeks?  Delusional.  Most people are in the 3-6 month range depending on recovery and occupation; 4-6 weeks is very rare.  Listen to Renee...ice and elevate.  PT and exercises.  If your knee swells, you did too much.  This just takes work, time and patience.
  • Posted

Hi Milla!

Is it the stiffness that comes from sitting rather than moving that makes sitting difficult?

Is it because you are trying to bend your knees and you can't do it comfortably just yet?

Does sitting cause greater swelling?

For me it was ALL THREE!

Plus, just getting up and down from a chair in those early days was EXTREMELY challenging and caused my SHOULDER JOINTS to really ache!

Early on I tried to walk around and stretch about every half hour. When I sat down I practiced my "Ottoman Training" by using my husband's belt looped around my foot and the rest of the belt as a strap to L-I-F-T that heavy leg ontoy ottoman. Once up there I engaged my quad muscle and TRIED to get a straighter leg. At first I could stand only a minute or two with my leg up on the ottoman. I worked on it many times a day and got to longer times. Putting both legs up and working both quad muscles came later. I still do this. Maybe it will help you, too.

Sending prayers of strength and patience tonight!😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.