3 weeks citalopram still bad even worse ?!?

Posted , 7 users are following.

well it was three weeks yesterday on citalopram 20mg at night , still waking up with blind panic and a kind of depersonalisation situation , feeling panicked when alone and mind wandering , constantly thinking about impending doom , mind is definitely not as sharp as it was , really foggy like my eyesight , I suffer so much cognitively , really bizarre , surely this cannot be just anxiety/depression ? Mind is always confused and hazy , t.v is on but doesn't mean a great deal and I really don't want to venture out , Any ideas ? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I used to get that when I was having an anxiety attack but never during night or when I woke up. Maybe you should speak to GP about changing meds or at least something to help side effects.

What about taking it in the morning instead of at night? Are the symptoms the same or better?

• Posted

I've tried cymbalta , sertraline and trazadone , it's mainly the confusion and feeling out of my own body like I can't focus on anything to carry out a simple task even typing and my memory/thinking is impaired ,  that's getting me down !
  • Posted

These symptoms are side effects of citalopram.I had all these symptoms for about 5 weeks.I am on 10mg for 2 months but I want to go off them .I don't feel any better.I feel more depressed than before
  • Posted

Yes, this is the main reason why I want to stop taking the tablet.I want to have my mind clear again.I had all the symptoms you described plus I lost my appetite ,lost weight,lost interest in everything.2 months of hell
    • Posted

These side effects do wear off, though for for a few people it sometimes doesn't.  You have to give them a long time to see if they work for you.  Most people they do.

Such a difficult time to go through :-(

K x

• Posted

You have to wait at least 4 weeks to see benefits.If you don't feel any better you should go back to your doctor.For me 2 months was enough.I hope it works for you.
  • Posted

Hi Gary, Remember me.....Im not that far behind you.  But I dont know if they have made any difference to me at all.  I just got a repeat which means I am in week 3. 10mg daily.  I will ring her as she asked me to let her know how I was getting on.  If I say they are not doing anything, I bet she just says give them another couple weeks.  

Ive read such dreadful things that are either side affects of Cit or how difficult it is when you are coming off them, really scary things.  Ive had this bloody craving for sugar.  I dont know if thats anything to do with Cit.

I hope you get on okay though.  Please update every now and again.  It must be awful what you are going through.  

Maybe someone, somewhere will come up with the solution you require.  I will keep everything crossed :-)  Take care. Wendy X

• Posted

I stopped suddenly on 30mg, bloody crazy. Lasted 2 weeks, and went to the Dr...who told me I was putting myself at serious risk. It can be done, but my head was a complete mess. Went back up to 20, still very shaken! 
  • Posted

I've been on 20mg for nearly two months and I've been throwing up and so tired it's horrible as I feel the same haven't got no better so maybe need to go high but they don't seem to be working I have 6 month old and I'm so drained dunno what to do!sad
  • Posted

I had depersonalisation too.  The doctor never warned me about the possibility beforehand so I had no idea what was happening, so I know how rough you must be feeling.  Apparently it only affects about 1 in 100 people, which isn't a lot of consolation when you're that 1.  The good news is that it will wear off - if it works the same way it did for me, you'll get to just feeling like that in the mornings and then better after a few hours each day, and then it'll go totally.  Hang on in there: I know how bad it can be, and it angers me that people are not warned about the possible side effects, but it doesn't last more than a week or two. 
    • Posted

I still feel out of it , over 4 weeks now , losing hope !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.