3 weeks in

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I have now been taking fluoxetine for 3 weeks. I haven't found the side effects which have been most often reported on this site too bad - I haven't had much in the way of nausea, for example. I have been tired and not sleeping brilliantly but then that was how my depression had mainly manifested itself before medication anyway. I have, however, been feeling generally more depressed than before - my mood this week especially has been particularly low. Am back to see my GP next week but at times don't know if I can make it that far. Have been having some fairly disturbing thoughts (I'm sure you can fill in the gaps without me having to spell it out). Any advice, anyone? should I carry on for another week or go and talk to someone before then? I feel I am wavering between asking too much of friends / family or hiding away.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

just before im off to bed i thought i would reply because i know hearing a reply is often useful and slightly helps.

I would suggest that if you feel you need to go and see your GP or relevant professional sooner than a booked appt then do...

I was advised by people to go, however didnt and then when i saw them next i felt 'ok' and so didnt really tell truth about how i had been because i didnt really feel it was necessary when i felt 'ok'....if that makes sense?

It is ultimately up to you, like i say, if you feel you want to go then do, book a sooner appt... even if u fib a bit and say its an emergency (hey, in my opinion if you dont get an appt and then do do something terrible that'd surely be worse?) or, if u think you can hold off (depends when appt is?) then do so, but i would urge you to tell relevant ppl of your true feelings rather than skirt over them like i do.

I have come to the conclusion that i wont ever get better if im not honest with the people who have the ability to help me, to help myself.

Good luck, and let us know how you're doing.

SJ xx

• Posted

Yup, that sounds like me too - think I have spent so long saying \"I'm fine\" that it's difficult to be really honest. So whether I make an earlier appt or not, I will endeavour to actually tell it how it is this time. Thanks for the reply.
  • Posted

Hi, I am replying to your post as I can certainly empathise with your problem. I too am coming to the end of my third week and during this week I have had dreadful drops in mood, from just plain awful to really bad with the kind of thoughts you mention. However, since yesterday this phenomena has thankfully almost gone as have most of the other side effects which I did get. The only really inconvenient thing left is that now instead of feelings of aggitation/anxiety, I feel really sleepy all day.

I have been on a number of antidepressants over the years and on a previous occasion when (lets say it) suicidal thoughts seemed to be a side effect of one of the drugs I have taken, the psychiatrist actually prescribed some diazepam to be taken on those occasions, and it certainly helped damp them down.

I should certainly go back to your GP sooner rather than later and tell him honestly about the problem.

I have to say that I have had to give up the other antidpressants because the side effects never seemed to diminish, but I can say that in my case anyway, the nasty side-effects to seem to be lessening after the third week.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Well, having had one of my worst weeks yet this week, it has ended on a more positive note as through the company my OH works for it transpires I am entitled to as much telephone counselling as I wish, and several face-to-face sessions which will start in the near future. So I feel that it is at least a step in the right direction - at least I am doing something while waiting for the fluoxetine to work. Thanks for all your replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.