3 weeks of citalopram side effects ,

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have now been on cit for 3 weeks started on cit 10mg and have gone up to 20mg a week ago , waking up in the morning with a terrible head and tension in the top of my neck which makes me feel sick , also incredible sweating and hot flushes which leaves me soaked , never known anything like it , has anyone else experienced this , and is there anything i can do or take for this . i think these side effects make my anxiety and depression worse 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to the Club Terry!

I guess the reason no one else has answered yet is that it is Sunday, its sunny and when you've been on this journey as long as some you enjoy things more (when you feel up to it of course!).

Cita causes anxiety before it can treat it, it can also heighten down moods. I had no idea I had anxiety as part of my work related stress, but it was obviously there and man! Didn't Cita crank it up some too! Sweats, aches pains (may or may not get slight paranoia about health issues too! - I did me Dr sent me for tests an ECG and basically found I could lose a couple of poound that is all! Lol). I had constant ringing in the ears (still again now, but also have toothache which may be the cause) and other things. However, I was not as bad as some, thank goodness!

We are all different, we all experience different side effects (or similar) at different levels of intensity, get dizzy, foggy headed, spaced out and nausea are the usual ones.

The important thing to try and do (and I know it ain't easy) is try remain focused on getting better and be positive (even when you can't!) every time you get over a hurdle just prep yer self for the next before it happens, it does help. Never rush this "sticking plaster for the brain" when you start or like me as I am reducing. Hopefully this will go to plan

• Posted

thanks david for your kind words , just struggling with the headaches and sweating , getting me down  , i know it is early days with the cit just wish the side effects i have mentioned were not so bad , back of my head and neck feel like i have been hit with a cricket bat 

• Posted

Before we get too outta sync. When I felt like that I went to bed, sometimes I couldn't even be bothered so we had a duvet downstairs and I would drift in and out of normality. This lasted a little while and aftyer 3/4 weeks I was levelling out a bit. Like I said earlier I went up gradually to 40mg each time the side effects were less than the time before so it doies get better mate, just stick with it get some comfort (if you can eat) food in and vegetate when you have to, but make sure you enjoy the ups as well! You may go days feeling fine then that B*****D with the cricket bat (may) turn up again! Just accept and go with the flow.

Talking of going, I have to as I have some decorating to do! This has kept me occupied on and off for 7 months while I have been on the sick! Some people don't understand that I could stay in and decorate, but couldn't step outside the door withoiut the misses - note I said people, not friends! Try to occupy yourself, if it doesn't work try later!

I have put that which made me ill behind me, changed my lifestyle (I was drinking every day to get through the next and at the edge of a very dark place) became a still eating fish veggie, gave up smoking and a better partner and Dad.

Stick at it mate!

regards,

David

Ps I sound boringly "UP!", but who knows may be (a bit) down tomorrow, but these are fewer abd farther between these days.

• Posted

Hi David, I also have tinnitus. Has yours improved? I'm worried it will get more intense now I'm going up to 20mg?
    • Posted

Hi Amy, it does! Mine which I have had return these past two days has just worn off - in fact you asking made me realise it had gone! It gies like this sometimes.

I have never used tablets unless prescribed and then only in the end because I know there be nothing else to do. So tell me about scary!

When you increase you do get some side effects to some extent, but coping and accepting these in the early days can help if yoou keep a positive attitude. Easy to say? Yes! Difficult to do? Sometimes, but as you progress and become more accepting your positivity will just come and by helping others (like me here with you) you will be answering others requests for advice, help, reassurance or just a chat.

Just believe, it will happen, but no one can tell you when.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Forgot to say that some Cita side effects do cause spelling and gramatical mistooks! OIops! Lol!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. My tinnitus is back after doubling my dose today.
    • Posted

It'll ease or you may just ignore it! Mine is coming and going which, sadly, I can't report as caused by my reduction until I get thgis toothache sorted. This morn hopefully (mind you I said that Friday morn!)

Regards,

David

• Posted

Me again Terry! I hit a button when I shouldn't have (perhaps Cuta makes yer fingers do weird things too - if it does its a first for me!)

Anyway, I am reducing from 40mg (not everyone goes this high!) to 20mg over the next 3 months and I started 5 days ago. This is being done in a very, very slow and gradual way and if any of the planned drops do not go well, then I shall up by 5mg at a time. It is a long road my friend.

Importantly you have found us and we are here to help and at the same time be helped. Never worry about posting anything however insignificant it may be we will try and help, advice and guide.

All the best regards,

David (7 monther)

• Posted

thanks david i have also noticed a slight ringing in my ears since taking this medication is it a known side effect , how long will it last 
    • Posted

Hi Terry,

It lasts as long as it lasts! No one can say much more really as we are all individuals therefore the side effects and reactions to these are different.

At the moment I am starting my reduction and I have ringing however, at the moment I also have toothache so, I can't say if it is due to the (correctly, very slow) reduction or toothache! Just can really say, oh! yes I could if I didn't have toothache as I am posting regularly as I reduce.

At the moment it comes, it goes and because I am used to it sometimes, it seems, I don't notice it at all!

Regards,

David

• Posted

why are you reducing david ,do you feel better , or is 40mg to higher a dose , if its because you feel well wouldnt it be better to stay the way you are , rather than run the risk of a relapse 
    • Posted

Hi Terry,

Yes, I do feel better and as I have never liked taking meds of any kind before I didn't want to be dependant. The only way for sure was to get to a point where we all saw the old me return and to give it a go.

The reduction is very slow and gradual over the next 3 months from 4mg to 20mg no lower at that time. This is when I see my Dr again and we'll have another assessment and debrief to decide where to go next. When the time is right (and it may be then) I will dip below 20mg and hold at 10mg then we may wean me off slowly and gradually again to 5mg then zero. This will have taken, I reckon from start to finish a year! May be more, it may turn out I have to stay on 5 or 10mg for the foreseeable future, I don't know? However, I want to try.

Trouble is and you may have read, I have had toothache and two teeth worked on, nerves out and filled also now, I have a gum infection. So, my first week of 40mg one day then 30mg the next day and alternately for at least two weeks I cannot report on as I don't know if some or all the way I feel is withdrawl or not! I am sure some is though.

Thanks for asking and I hope you are doing well.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Spot the deliberate mistake?! From 40 (not 4mg) Duh!
    • Posted

good luck with your withdrawel and i hope your tooth ache clears up quickly , keep us posted on your progress on your withdrawel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.