3 weeks on 10mg 4 weeks on 20mg , every day worse

Posted , 6 users are following.

as i have explianed in the title i have now been on cit for 7 weeks , but the side effects are getting worse , the feeling on waking of nausea like a knot in my stomache ,  diarrhea  , shaking sweating the feeling of hopelessness , just dont want to do anything as i feel so rough , no appetite what so ever since being on the cit , i have had to stop work as i feel so unwell , dont know how much longer i can carry on feeling like this on the cit , surely by now the side effects should be lesserning or i should be seeing some benifits , anxiety is horrible and when it lifts i feel depressed , i dont drink , smoke and when i feel like eating eat healthy , i have no caffeen or sugar , i get out and excercise as much as possible but just feel rubbish all day , just look forward to bed time when i know i can close my eyes and be away from it for a few hours , then i wake about 4 am and it all starts again . do i give up on the cit , how much longer should i give it ,  before i started the cit i never had diarrhea or the nausea and knot feeling in my stomache and the tiredness so i know its the medication

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Morning Terry,

Really wish we could wave a majic wand here for you however, we can't. All we can do is support you along the way. It sounds like your way is a little more uncomfortable than others, but it will ease off - just no one can actually say when!

Everything you are doing could not be better and you put me to shame as I don't do near enough exercise as you. I used to, but banned from running, jogging and any kinda impact sports back in 2005 when diagnosed with osteoarthritis and been wallowing in "nothing-else-works" self pity ever since, if I am truthful.

Anyway enough of me, back to you!

You do have a ways to go yet, but I am sure it will start easing soon and come 3/4 months you may be levelling out.

I am sure you will get more advice re nausea as I was one of the lucky ones in that all I had was the basic feeling (for several weeks) and it never got worse. Nor did it stop me eating (after a while). In fact by having anything I felt like (like a craving!) I managed to supress the nausea on my terms.

Like I said, more will be along with better help, in the meantime hang in there Terry, you are doing so well!

Best Wishes,

David

• Posted

thankyou david , its a horrible thing feeling unwell every day all the while , i read so many possitive posts on here , and it does help me a bit to know i am not alone , but when you feel so bad for so long and your mind keeps telling you you are not going to get better it just feels everlasting , being robbed of your life is no fun ,  how long have you been on cit if you dont mind me asking , when did you start to see any bennifits
    • Posted

Tell me about it Tel!,

I started on Cita last November after around a month of me Dr and me Ann telling me I needed more help than just a break from work (that which was making me ill) and finally agreed to a "sticking plaster for the brain" (My Dr fist mentioned this phrase to me and I think it sums up Cita to a tee!).

The side effects were first shrouded by man flu which was (Ann can testify to this) the worse I had in many a year and lasted about a month. Basically, I think, my body just collapsed as I agreed to take time out. That, giving up smoking and stopping the alcohol medication every evening (to get through the following day) was like a body blow to the old system. Man! Did I crash or what! Affter about 5 weeks I started actually feeling the side effects (and not flu) nausea, tiredness, spaced, foggy head, panic attacks were already there below the surface and then the anxiety kicked in! After posting here, several angels (katcogs in particular) assured me that Cita causes the anxiety to start working on it, also my ability to feel emotions that would lead me to cry became inhibited and I did not cry for over 6 months. Many a time I would just curl up into a ball and just shut the world out. I used to take Cita during the day, then I got multiple vivid dreams so (on advice from here) I now take them at bedtime and dreams stopped almost immediately and I also was a little better during the day, as Cita got to work while I slept.

However, somewhere, sometime it all began to change and I reckon from 3/4+ months I was very much aware that things had changed for the better. My Dr and my Ann noticed this too. What a up hill slog - saying that others do take longer, but the end result is worth the struggle.

The important thing in all this is to remain positive (even if yer shouting at the screen (and me) sayin "that's easy for you to say!" Well, I agree and I also thought the same about other forumers, back in the early days, who oused positivity, but I see it was all to lay a foundation (of hope) for me to build on!

I am not 100% right now (normal? what is normal??). On the eve of beginning a reduction, which I have delayed for a month now, I am somewhat scared of the possibility of withdrawl and will have to reduce 5mg at a time, each time it could take weeks to adjust to each decrease.

The major part, in my part in my recovery, was to put behind me that which made me ill in the first place - work! I have basically retired and when I get signed fit again I ain't becoming a part of the system EVER AGAIN! (and breathe!)

Always be honest about how you feel and yer emotions when posting, this will help and it does take a man to do this, there is nothing to be ashamed of. I am ex service, as well as other units, served on a tactical RAF/Army Wing, went through the Falklands crisis and ended up part of the Royal Household. Pressure and focusing on the job was never a problem. However, stress of working with inept civilian management, following my airforce career finally took it's toll. After the last 6 years of working for a local based community service charity I had given everything for nothing - well, not nothing, I did get a stress related break down out of it!

We all feel robbed and possibly we are, but look at it another way Terry, in that it does leave us to start again, afresh, with a clean slate, I do believe. Some people have an epithany, some get God and some have Cita!

From the edge of a dark place I now have both feet on the ground, albeit that they are a bit wobbly at the moment!

Keep posting we'll keep answering Matey!

Best wishes for a good day!

Regards,

David

• Posted

hi david been to see my phyctrst to day and she wants me to stop taking the cit as she feels it should be working by now , or i could increase it to 30mg to see if this makes a difference , she also wants me to start pregablin as well but i am reluctent to start another drug , not really heard of pregablin to be honest , i think i want to give the cit a little while longer seems i have come this far , also i have just quetiapine and venlaxefine ,  the venlaxafine i have been withdrawing from for about 4 months and the quetiapine 3 months ,so not sure i want another drug in my system yet , this might be why the cit is taking that bit longer as i have been withdrawing from 2 powerfull meds 
    • Posted

Wow! Terry,

I think we will all be feeling for you and even the odd pray in support may be said out here. Did not realise that you are going through so much.

Makes us even more determined to see you through!

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Are you still withdrawing from venlaxefine ..... you're still taking them or they're in your system still?

If you're still withdrawing from one medicine and have started Citalopram 7 weeks ago, I'm not surprised you're feeling bad effects - withdrawal effects plus side effects of starting another drug ... blimey!

Im surprised your psychiatrist wants you to stop Citalopram at this stage.  Doesn't he/she know how long they the to work?  It always surprises me how many medical people don't actually know how long these drugs take to work or what side effects people get.  They're often upped too soon instead of waiting for the meds to take full effect.  I've seen this all too often.  It take around 3-4 months and you're just getting to the 2nd month.  Even after I felt better after 4 months I still continued to improve after that.

Another thing your medics may not have said is that when you begin to feel well, you may get an up and down period where you'll think your meds aren't working.  Happens with most people.  This is normal and you may feel like this for a while until it all settle down.

I wish people who prescribe these medicines would take them to see how it feels.  How can someone with no experience of them advise someone.  Ho hum ...

Do keep persevering - so many people have been in exactly the same position as you at this stage, thinking they're not working.  They are, in the background, building up, waiting to take full effect.  You're nearly there, so don't give up yet.  They work so so slowly.  If you broke your leg it'd take around 6 weeks to heal, and then you'd have to wait some more before it was fully restored.  Same here.

K x

• Posted

hi katecogs thanks for your reply , i am still withdrawing from venlaxafine still take 7.5mg a day been reduing from 150mg over 4 months and i stoped quetiapine a week ago was on 150mg for about 3 months reduce it by half and then another half etc , the depression has really hit me for six over the last 5 to 6 weeks , did mainly struggle with anxiety , but the depression has now taken hold , just cant take much more , no energy or motivation , just want to curl up and be alone plus all the side effects , life is very tough at the moment
    • Posted

Hi Terry

Venlafaxine is an SNRI which is slightly different to Citalopram which is an SSRI.  Both are similar but SNRIs help block the reabsorption of both serotonin and norepinephrine, while SSRIs focus solely on serotonin levels.  Both work well.

It will be a tough journey for you in the beginning with these meds, but persevering will bring you results eventually.  We all go through this awful period at the beginning - the side effects, the fear, anxiety, depression, the non believing it'll help, the long wait ........ it just seems to go on forever.  Many people give up too soon either due to the effects or just thinking it's not working.

I was ill for 15 years with depression and anxiety and some days I just wanted to end all the suffering, felt I couldn't cope anymore ...... but still it persisted despite taking anti depressants.  Eventually I was put into SSRI's and couldn't believe it when I started recovering.  It took a while to happen, but I just thought what had I to lose?

I've been well now for 16 years and life is wonderful.  My son had a breakdown last year and he also started an SSRI and went through absolute hell, which was devastating for him and the family.  He had 4 months off work and the first few weeks was spent curled up in a ball under his duvet.  Slowly he got better which took around 5 months and is now back to his normal, happy self.  I have my boy back :-)

It takes a long time for your body to become ill, and equally a long time to reverse it.  Stick with it, through whatever is thrown at you, for it will ease in time and I'm sure you'll reap the reward eventually.

K x

• Posted

Hi Terry

Its tough isn't it, but as David says, you're doing all the right things.  Don't give up on it as you've come a long way already and you're nearly through it.  The end reward is wonderful.

The nausea was bad for me too, but it eased eventually and finally stopped.  Upset tum can be a problem, so make sure you're having lots of fluids and maybe try some over the counter medicine to help that.  If it continues then see your doctor.  I's it'll stop eventually though - it takes ages for the body to get used to the meds.

When I was on a cruise last year, the sea was so rough and everybody was ill.  Staff advised me to drink Ginger Ale, which my hubby and I did, and it cured it!!  I know it's a different type of nausea but wouldn't harm trying it.  Was told drink half, have a big burp (tee-hee) then drink the rest.  Worked.

Oh ..... cruise was worth it too - Carribean was amazing!

Many people give up too soon on this medicine too soon and don't reach the full potential of being well.

K x

• Posted

Now that is a side effect me, Terry and everyone would accept! A Carribean cruise! Did it come with the meds? Lol!

David x

• Posted

Oh it was so tough to endure ....... all that sunshine, 24 hour on board food, warm seas, being waited on constantly.  The meds that came with it were especially tough ..... gin, wine, ice cold beer, ginger ale of course ........... it's a wonder I survived any of it really. cheesygrin
  • Posted

Hi Terry 

just read your post and really feel for you I was in exactly the same place 12 months ago. It took 3/4 months to start feeling free of side effects. The early mornings were the worst! 

If you can't eat much try a green or fruit smoothie with perhaps some yoghurt nutrition for your body is important. 

My doctor prescribed a diazapam tablet which I only took if I woke up with the shakes and heart pounding.Eventually the Cit started to work unexpectedly and needed nothing.

Try to hang in because the reward is being anxiety free and improved relationships.You can do it ! Rest if you need it and accept that the symptoms are just symptoms they will pass. You will get better. X

• Posted

Hi Terry me again,

One thing I meant to mention and didn't was paranoia! I read a bit in your post and then forgot to mention it. You may be getting a little bit of paranoia too. I had it with health issues and my Dr put me in for ECG, blood tests (for everything) and a healthy man check up under a national NHS scheme. That fully sorted my paranoia out!

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.