3 weeks on 30 and extremely apathetic!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey lovely people,

Hope you're enjoying this glorious sunshine if you're in the UK!

Been debating posting on here again as it's admitting that I'm still struggling really. But I suppose that's why we're all here to support eachother! smile

The short story I'd been taking 20 mg for 1 year, it helped me feel myself again after such a long time! Just chilled and dealing with the ups and downs of life!

Then in April this year- I started to feel anxious again, not terrible- but I panicked and upped the dose to 30! After about 10 days on the increase i felt worse so ...stupidly yet desperately upped again to 40 (big mistake!) was on this for about 10 days- where I was incrediblyyyy depressed! Actually never felt like that before! I finally consulted my doctor who said I should go back down to the 30 as I did feel really awful and know I upped too quickly in the first place!

Been back to 30 now for about 3 weeks- and just feel completely apathetic about life... nothing is funny, nothing is sad. Everything is Meh.

Definitely not depressed like is was on the 30! But i am a very feeling person and feeling numb like this is getting me down!

Not sure whether to stick it out or go back to original 20mg. Or switch altogether?

Any similiar positive stories would be appreciated smile and sending love to anyone in the thick of it at the moment!

Louise. Xo

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello louise im at a much earlier stage than you, havnt been on 20mg for a full month yet (started on 10mg for a few weeks)

that increase from 30mg to 40mg after after 10 days of being on 30mg was def a bad idea yes, but you know that now  smile

if i was you i would give 30mg at least 6 weeks to see if it all settles in ok.  then after 6 weeks take it from there.   if (at 30mg) after a couple of months all the dose adjust related side effects have passed and you still dont feel like the citalopram is working well enough, you could try 40mg

i had the apethetic thing you mentioned also,  even from going from 10mg to 20mg,   but it has eased now.   just have to be patient;   as we adjust to the meds many of us are going to feel some discomfort (eg. apathy, tiredness, upset stomach, moody, etc, etc) but just have to wait it out and in most cases the side effects will settle.

• Posted

Hi I have been on 20 for years then stopped for 2 years and got really bad anxiety again. I was put back on 20 and then on my 3rd week of 30. I have had lots of time when felt more.myself but not perfect and I guess feeling apathetic is better than anxiety .
  • Posted

I was on 20mg for two months before upping to 30. Still dont feel great after 5 odd weeks - its exactly the same as starting all over again. Give it time. Do not play around with the dosage yourself. Consult with your doctor or therapist (can not recommend seeing a therapist ongoing) about how your coming along. I see my therapist once a month now and I dont make any decisions without her. We make plans and set goals and if I havent achieved them we discuss changing the dose.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hey Pia,

Thanks for your reply,

When I first started a saw a therapist aswell, think it may be good to restart it.

I'm actually thinking I felt better on 20mg & was well on that for a year. Just annoying as it all seems like guesswork.

Lovely that you have support with your dosage! smile

Louise x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.