3 weeks post op.

Posted , 7 users are following.

21Days on and i have good feelig on the inside of my knee but the outside (left side )is still very numb can anyone tell me if this is normal.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is very normal Johnny I'm 5 months out and queried this yesterday at my followup. Surgeon said it can take 2 years or more for feeling to come back as he cut through nerves and ligaments. Good luck with your recovery. 😊

• Posted

Hi Johnny I'm 5 months left and 3 months right and I have the same problem. I'm going to see my surgeon tomorrow so I can let u know..gl with your recovery

• Posted

Johnny, I'm 2 yrs. post op and I had a TKR , Right knee. the inside feels normal to touch but the outside still feels numb, and I can't get down on my knees anymore, if I do I have to put all my weight on the old knee. I hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Johnny!

I am 15 months and 11 months post op with my left and right TKRs and JUST NOW getting the feeling back on the outside of my knees!

I know it feels very weird to have the numb sensation! Everyone is different, but I'm guessing that if my numbness FINALLY is going away after this long, YOURS will, too...eventually!😊

I don't think any of us really realizes how extensive a surgery a TKR is until we are in it and healing from it! Some things heal really fast. I was shocked that they could take my staples out of my VERY LONG INCISION after just two weeks and my skin actually STAYED CLOSED! It did, and I was AMAZED. Apparently other body parts require LOTS more time.

You will be fine.

Be patient with yourself.

Sending prayers of strength and calm and patience to you today!💟

• Posted

I had my TKR in Jan. 2014 and I didn't have stiches or staples, they just Glued it shut, I was afraid everytime I bent my knee that it would pop open... it never did, and I have a thin light colored scar.

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl yes i thought the same about the stitches mine is almost healed and yes it a very tough recovery but im sure we can all make it and hopefully a better quality of life .
    • Posted

Skin is so amazing! Our son's inguinal hernia operation when he was three months old had an incision closed with glue! It stayed closed, and there was no scar either! 😊

• Posted

A better quality of life sure is important!

Getting two good knees again is an amazing GIFT!

HAPPY HEALING!😊

• Posted

At 3 months post op, I'm also still numb on outer knee.  I'm told it may always be this way.  It has something to do with the knee block they gave me for surgery.  This new knee is so much better than the old knee, I havd no complaints.  It's just a new normal!

• Posted

Thanks Joyfull thats interesting to know just seemed odd the inside is fine .
    • Posted

I'm 5 months post op and had follow up with surgeon yesterday. I asked him about this numbness on the outside of my knee. He said it will take 2 years or so for feeling to come back because he cut through nerves and ligaments during surgery. He's top ortho surgeon here in Ireland and trust what he said. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.