3 weeks post op

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had both feet operated on three weeks ago today. My big worry is that although the big toes are pretty much straight (although not perfectly so ) there is quite a big gap between the fist and second toe and I am afraid the big toe will eventually drift over again and cause the bunion to reform. Does anyone know about this or am I being over anxious.

I had a general anesthetic and spent one night in hospital. I had no plaster cast only thick bandages. My feet were uncomfortable the first night but took the pain killers and survived. I stopped the medication after about four days and no real pain after that. Two weeks later the bandages were removed and feet look OK but not that pretty. I am rubbing the feet with E45 cream three times a day in order to soften the scars and the skin which feels quite tight. No one told me to do this, it just seems sensible and I hope not harmful.

:?:

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am currently into week 2 with my 2nd Opp. My hospital would not do both together. I found with my first one that I had a large gap between the big toe and 2nd. I found that after many weeks and all the swelling had gone done and that they moved much closer. I wouldnt worry but I was advised not to wear pointed shoes for prolonged periods just every now and again. I hope you was told to get wiggling those toes !!!

Also I was told all the way along that I would have plaster cast's but woke up with only bandages so I think we have had something similar.

Also I would recommend Bio Oil for the scars once healed, mine are looking good * and so straight * and it really helps to reduce the scaring. I have lots of pics of my progress with my last one so let me know and I can email them to you.

Hope your doing ok, my 2nd one is so different from the first so you can never be prepared

Shoegirl

• Posted

6 months after opp
  • Posted

Toe spreading 2 weeks after surgery x hope this helps
  • Posted

I had exactly the same concerns after I had my plaster removed (was in plaster for six weeks). I found that wearing a simple toe separator I bought in boots helped psychologically for the first few weeks in normal shoes. It is pretty small and just sits in between your big toe and second toe, and stays in place if you are wearing a sock. Am now 5 months post-op and scar is almost invisible (I swear by Bio Oil), and the toe is still very straight despite all my worrying! Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.