3 weeks Post Op

Posted , 9 users are following.

So, 3 weeks post op tomorrow, gradually decreasing painkillers during the day, but not at night, don't know why but the pain seems to be worse then. Managed 100 degree flexion at physio on Monday, and am doing my exercises and icing religiously, but the knee seems to have gotten really stiff these last couple of days, is this normal?

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

I remember being told that at 3 weeks I would feel a difference and I did. Even at night, though, yes, the pain was still more intense then. But isn't that the same with any sort of pain...which is why night time pain meds have become so popular, at least in the US. I had no issue with taking Tylenol PM (or a store brand) to help me sleep through the night. Of course, it never really made me sleep through the whole night, but I did get better sleep. Stiffness is unfortunately normal, which is why the stretches and exercises are still important. I had some I would do just because, as in not only during my couple times a day of pt. At almost 20 months post op, I have hardly any stiffness. But I still find myself doing some stretching exercises when I'm sitting still.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had symultaneous dual TKR (not allowed in the US anymore) and tossed the pain meds after leaving hospital (one day).  I also just used over the counter pain meds.  I found a leg curl machine to be best for defelction and extension.  In a month you should feel way better. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Diane,

100° after 3 weeks, Super and well done. I am 9 weeks PO and got 110°.

After 6 weeks I only had 90°.

Re stiffness and sleep difficulties, it's par for the course, don't panic just keep at the exercises and RICE - Rest; Ice; Compress; Elevate.

Keep on the forum this gang of TKRS are wonderful and supportive.

Take care,

Alan

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Diane,  WTG 100 degree...how wonderful.  Yes, the stiffness comes.  I am 20 weeks po and still stiff sometimes in the mornings.  The pain is always worse at night...no matter what it is from.  Your brain has no distractions.  Keep up the good work.

pam

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm 3 weeks out too and do find my knee stiff today.  I am trying to cut back on meds though so I think that is why.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My doc says that stiffness and looking swollen could last up to a year.  The stiffness will come and go.  Normal.  Yay!!! on the 100 degrees so soon.  I started at -14/+84; 10 weeks later, I'm -1/+128 (the goal is 0/+120)...but then I'm a rehab freak and take this very seriously.   Check my thread "Zero Degrees!!!".  Yes, it's really painful sometimes.  I got off all the meds in 3-4 weeks...hate the opioids. PT and ice...plus exercises at home. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Diane. I'm 7 weeks post op today LTKR. Swelling has improved as in not as swollen like it was a few weeks ago I just can't sleep at night with the pain either despite taking pain meds, really thought would have eased by now. I'm crying for a night's pain free sleep. 100 degree flexion is very good so early goes to show the exercises are so important. I'm 110 now but was 90 leaving hospital. This night time pain/sleep deprivation can only get better, take care. Nuala
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up