3 weeks post op following partial knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Guys it'll be 3 weeks tomor that I've had my op and still get better days than others! Scar is healing well but a bit lumpy in places but I'm concerned about the pain behind my knee and occasionally when I walk unaided if I straighten my leg it starts to give way? I live out in the sticks and not yet started any physio because I have to arrange not only appt but how I'm going to get there? I am continuing with my exercises given in hospital!

im also suffering awful mood swings one minute I'm fine the next snapping at everyone because,of all the silly things, trying to do everything with one hand? I'm not sure even what sort of housework I should be avoiding or attempting at this stage?

any feedback will be gratefully received

thanks x

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mandy, I have had TKR so am in a different legue but caqn say the mood swings are the same from crying for no reason to being happy because of no pain.

I didn't do any housework as such for 6 weeks, only did the minimum of cooking and washing up. Husband wouldn't even let me put washing in the washer....that started a crying jag!   but managed to do lots for myself.   I would not attempt to do any hoovering or such, these will still be there for later unless you have someone who would do it for you.  Changing bed linen is also hard work, get someone else to do this.  Dusting you can do!     Doing your exercises is good, take your meds, massage your leg and ice as well.  Cloth under ice pack in case of skin burns.

Take care.

Hazel.

• Posted

Hi Mandy, your very early days yet, I to had pkr, am now 7 weeks po, and on list for second, only do light house work at your stage, ie getting dressed , a bit of dusting spread through out the day, only if you're having a good day,  at 7 wks, I still only do bit of dusting , bits of washing up, ( not a big amount,) you must not stand in one spot to long or you'll notice your knee gets really tight and uncomfortable, at three weeks I was walking 120 paces outside three x a day then work up from that, . On a static bike I was, not able to turn peddle right round so just rocked it gently backwards and forwards, then all of a sudden you go right round, , I was so shocked I cheered. The pain in the back of the knee/ calf ,I'm got to, and was told it's where, the muscle has shrunk, so it goes as you build up, I was told to put my leg out behind me, keeping foot all on floor , and stretch as best you can, if any thing hurts then stop, ice, massage, definitely don't over do it. Mood swings , yes me to I'm either crying , shouting or having a pop, even now, although it is improving, I must be awfull to live with, but you no we have been through a lot, so I think we are untitled to be a bit grumpy,. 😁 hope this essay helps a bit, we are all different , so don't push yourself, it takes a long time, and I have to say, it's also bloody boring 😀
  • Posted

I'm 13 weeks post op for new plastic knee cap and metal bit it slides on behind it.......and I am soooooo fed up! I have 2 - 3 good days when I think I have at last turned the corner and then I have a day like today.......knee is stiff, feels like it will let me go, and muscles are tight. It's a total pain in the a***, but you have to just go with it and take each day as it comes. I am usually a happy go lucky person but this has/is really testing me. I've never been much of a cryer (swearing, YES) but I've done it all with this - and it does help lol! You do begin to wonder if you will ever return to your old self, but if you read all the posts on this forum you will realise you do, it just takes some folk longer than others......but if you're one of he ones taking a long time you could cheerfully murder the ones who are progressing quicker than you! If I had a £1 for the times I've been told "be patient", "everyone heals differently" I'd be rich and wouldnt need to return to work. I'm 56 and also worry that I may never return to work, as well as returning to the old "me"! I have a wonderful hubby who does anything and everything I ask him, takes me where I need to go (as I am not yet driving due to weak muscles in knee) - I honestly do not know what or where I would be without him! 

So, take it easy, be patient, folk all heal differently - that'll be a £1 please lol!

• Posted

Thanks guys for all your kind words of encouragement my hubby is really good but then I feel guilty for just lying on the bed occasionally getting of my butt and doing a bit!!! I think we are all a bit confused as to what I'm not meant to be doing so thanks for helping me out with that at least I have some idea of what to avoid xx
    • Posted

I now exactly what you mean about feeling guilty, horrid when your used to just getting stuck in, but we can't do anything about it, my, husband is very good too, but at seven weeks, he must think I'm milking it, I think at least, he's never said that, but when I have one of my strops, I over do it, and pay heavily, , which I've done several times, and then hubby gets cross ,cause I've set my self back a few days, there seems to be no end to it, then you read on here about someone doing really well, and realise, thank god there is light at the end of the tunnel😀
    • Posted

I think I'm getting anxious too because I feel I've got to be able to get back to work after the maximum of 8 weeks!!! I took 6 months off last year when my knee flared up and nothing was being done so if I take more off I'll very going down the formal route I.E am I fit to do the role I'm employed to do? I work in a bank and involves either sitting for long periods or standing but I have to say they've been marvellous and basically tailor making my role to suit! 
    • Posted

The thing I still struggle with at 7weeks is sitting with my knee bent for any length of time, I don't really no why, may be the bank would let you take a sun lounger in, lol, no you may be ok, shame you can't work from home. 😀 
  • Posted

Don't do anything that twists the knee and definitely no kneeling.  Also, try not to stand for too long.

I understand the difficulties of getting anywhere in those first few weeks, and having to rely on friends.  It all adds to the stress.

Massage as much as you can bear, and keep walking.

Patsy

1st TKR Dec 2012 2nd TKR Sept 2014 

• Posted

wow after reading all the replies ,i have to agree totaly with them all its like they are reading my mind . i have had them all at one time or another 3wks is nothing compared to the journey you are taking no matter what way you look at it  time will only heal it probably not what you want to hear the pain behind the knee is just tightness and you will have it on and off for awhile its just the muscle complaining to you telling you i dont want to work harder .so dont give in to it  make it work and stretch it regularly .your doing great  x
  • Posted

Hi Mandy, first of all everything you are experiencing is quite normal and everything will get gradually better over time. I was in the unfortunate position of being in the wrong hospital trust area to receive physio and I was having problems with extension and flexion, but mostly the flexion at the beginning. My flexion was 41° at week 6, I requested physio at 7 weeks post op which came through about week 11/12, in the meantime I ordered a child's skateboard online which helped increase the flexion from 41° at week 6 to 74° at my first physio. At week 15 my flexion is now 105° but I am still struggling with the extension, currently sitting at 15°. I too get the horrible pain behind the knee and my physio has given me two very simple exercises to help improve as follows: Sit with legs extended, put a tension band under the foot and tighten the tension by shortening the band on each side, from the ankle, bend foot forward, slowly bring foot back to right angle with ankle and push back of knee into the bed, holding for count of 10. Sit with foot on pillow, push back of knee downwards towards bed, hold for 10 and raise leg of the pillow, hold for count of 10. I can really feel these exercises work on the muscle and tendons behind the knee. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks Carol will give that a go? I have a strange sensation in my knee if I keep it in a straight position for any length of time it feels like it's gone numb? The similar effect when you cross your legs for a long time and the knee feels numb when you remove the leg that's been resting on it?
    • Posted

Hi Mandy, I too get a strange sensation when I am exercising, but more of a vibration, it is completely weird but when I get it I know the exervisr is working.
    • Posted

I get this too after sitting with straight leg and also sometimes following either doing my exercises on the bed or when I've used my exercise bike. It's really annoying because sometimes it's followed by either my knee really stiffening up and making it hard to even hobble about, or it goes completely the other way and feels as if it's really "freed up" and beginning to return to some sort of normality. Trouble is I never know which way its going to go and its very disheartening when it goes down the "stiff" route - makes me weep with frustration some days. Yet something else to try our patience.

I don't know about anyone else but I never once thought about all these hurdles that are being thrown at us - I worried about being in hospital, pain from op, having staples removed, pain from scar - never gave a thought to pain from everything internally knitting back together, pain from numb area (how?), how to regain confidence to walk normally again - was I just naive or stupid lol? 

• Posted

Totally with you on that one Pam? When my surgeon said to me I wouldn't like him for a few weeks following surgery I had no idea he wasn't joking!!! I think my problem is I don't take on board I've had major surgery and keep thinking it'll be better tomor like I've just fallen over and bruised myself!!! Mornings are a nightmare I'm so stiff and find I have to out my tens machine on for an hour or so just to relieve the ache and at night my leg goes dead! It's all very frustrating 
    • Posted

I hate mornings!!. I'm usually still trying to get to sleep when my hubby goes at 5.00a.m. - (a) after trying to get comfy, I must admit I spread out when he's gone and the bed is my own and (b) I'm menopausal and was suffering the occasional night sweat before my op, but since the op night sweats have been horrendous.  I was beginning to convince myself I'd got some infection in my knee (even though I hadn't and it was healing well), but you know what it's like in the wee small hours of the morning, you can convince yourself of anything!. I even stopped my naproxen medication thinking that might be setting me off, but to no avail.  No, it's just menopause night sweats - what great joy!

At about 5 weeks post op I dreamt that I could walk normal - I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was when I woke up and I couldn't.  Every day when I wake I'm also so stiff, it takes me ages to get myself going (hope this gets better when I go back to work because if not I'm going to have to get up at 5.00a.m with hubby, so that I'm up and running for 8.30a.m. lol).  I don't know, by the time I've got myself going I'm worn out and ready for a nap - what a vicious circle.  It's perhaps a good job I was naive - at least twice a day now I wonder why I did it lol!

• Posted

That sounds like a good exercise Carol, will have to try as I am having problems with my extention..but my argument is how straight was the leg before surgery, they didn't take a side x-ray to see? only front of both legs.  Second xray was front of both legs and right knee bent. 

• Posted

Well Pam hubby works away from home Monday to Friday so bed is mine!! Lol I do the same and spread myself it's great!! I'd also convinced myself last night I had an infection because my kneecap felt as though internally it was on fire!!! It's gone now though back to the usual dull ache that's constantly there! What I find really odd is the outer joint which is ok is completely numb yet the inner where I've had replacement I can feel ok? Still suffering with dreadful sciatica as well so all in all feeling pretty cheesed off!
    • Posted

I have found that my hot flushes and night sweats have come back with a vengeance since my tkr
    • Posted

I think I did have some side x rays taken, however I have a little hyper extension in a number of my joints so my knees would have previously over straightend, I always had to remember not to lock them back. Right now I would be happy just to be straight enough not to walk with a limp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.