3 weeks post tkr... revision ..

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my first tkr 18 months ago... was obvious from early on it wasn't a success.. However.. I struggled on until surgeon decided to do a revision ... everything seems to be going well.. although very stiff trying to get up and stand after lying or sitting for any length of time... also I can't stay awake for more than an hour I feel as though all I do is sleep ..except at night... then my bladder seems to have developed some sort of an alarm clock that wakes me every 2 hours... to go to the loo !!.. urgently ..... not easy when I can't rush . Not really looking for advice just a rant really .

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you're going through this! Does not sound like fun! Here's hoping things get better soon!
  • Posted

hi mary

how were you struggling from your first tkr ?? just wondering was it your bend ?or what went wrong .

i have been down that road and have had a revision ,it took alot longer to recover from im afraid ,muscles are alot weaker so takes longer to build them up so i wish you the very best

• Posted

Hi Linda.... my knee just started to hyperextend really badly... Instead of just being straight when I stood on itit bowed backwards.. really strange looking and impossible to wall on... It was very unstable .. my back was always giving me pain due to the way I had to stand .or walk. I've basically walked with the knee bent for over a year.. have had to use a crutch outdoors for months now... consultant said the ligaments .. muscles... band were too weak to support the new joint so despite all the physio and exercise.... splint.... brace ... foot orthotic.... nothing was ever going to work... sothe same surgeon came up with a new knee for me with some sort of hinge/stop at the back which doesn't allow it to be anything other than straight when I'm standing.... can still bend it though..... I am very hopeful this is me on the right road to recovery.... sorry for the big long reply !😂
    • Posted

since i got my revision ,my leg does not straighten properly and ive got a slight bend which is not great it causes my leg to be painfull,it soundslike things are going right for you well done
  • Posted

Glad your revision is going well under unfortunate circumstances.

Just 2 quick comments:

1. Sleep is good!

2. My $15 investment in a potty chair at a garage sale proved to be invaluable--it is not an option to "rush", or try to, and with the number of pills we are ingesting, our bladders are overactive.   Given the other aggravations involved with this surgery, peeing on the floor or falling do not have to be added!  

• Posted

I know how you feel. Had double tkr. I did have a commode at my bedside for the first few weeks as the surgery made my overactive bladder worse. I am 8 weeks post op and some days like today am stiff and hurting. Don't do excercises much on these days and therapist gets on me for it. I feel I have to rest. I know I have to work on my straight and stairs but just can't today. Went through surgery in Nov. Removed gallbladder/appendix/uterus/ovaries/tubes and did a hernia repair. (Thus the commode) doctors telling me to walk every hour...my body said sleep so I did and my core strengthened back up. So on these days i don't push to hard, just enough to keep the muscles stretched and I ice
  • Posted

Thank you for your kind comments.. i may neec to get a commode type thing my bladder is so unpredictable..... i had to buy those tena lady pants... just in case i had an accident ... they don't tell your all this beforehand do they... probably just aa well 😂...
    • Posted

Could be a common problem. My urologist told me it could happen after surgery. I bought tena briefs also. came in handy a couple times sad
  • Posted

Mary, glad u feel comfortable to rant here.  We all need somewhere to rant and know we are understood.  It is not unusual to have bladder issues....until the anesthesia is out of your system, you may have issues.  I did after TKR, but it passed with time.  

good luck..

pam

• Posted

So sorry ur not doing well. It bums to have to have had a revision😪 Wishing u the best. Keep ranting!! We don't mind😝😀💁🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.