3 weeks tkr question

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am 3 weeks out from right tkr. When I stand to walk after resting for a while I feel discomfort in knee. Then I feel a pop in my knee (not painful) and the discomfort goes away. Is this normal?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Three weeks?  Really?  Everyone...welcome our latest "Kneebie"!!!

Standing after resting or sitting a while?  Normal...  This will last quite a while.  Should get better when you're well into your gym work to rebuild your quads, glutes and core.  Right now, they're all weak so your knee is doing everything without any muscular support.

Popping?  Oh yeah...and add clicking, clunking, whatever.  Again, normal.  May last 12-18 months or never go away.  Small price to pay for walking without pain.

Anything else?  You've just started your journey.  Looking at a year...nine months if you're lucky.

• Posted

Will the tightness and swelling go away?

I'm in 8 weeks got set back fee days, my start swelling all the way to foot. All did is went to sauna & steam room after I worked out. Do you think that caused it?

• Posted

Yes, it gets better as time goes on. I find that some days are better than others. The tighness does get better once you get more active and PT will help with that. I am about 12 and things have finally been getting tolerable most days. I still do get quite still in the night time though.
    • Posted

Swelling almost ALWAYS indicates that you pushed the knee too far that day.  At 5 weeks, walked with my daughter through a mall..pretty long walk.  That night, my knee was a balloon.  Checked my FitBit...8,200+ steps!!!  Never made that mistake again.

A FitBit or other pedometer can be very useful.  Find your swelling point...note the steps...back off and increase gradually.  By 8 months, I was up to 11,000+ steps (5 miles)...no swelling.  Gradual increases...baby steps.

• Posted

Tightness can last 12-18 months.  If your ROM is at least 0 / +120, you shouldn't worry about more scar tissue...but you have to keep active. You can't get to zero degrees and just sit around.

After PT, you must hit the gym to rebuild strength in your quads, glutes and core.  This is a very important step!!!  No one gets better without it.  The re-strengthening of the muscles takes the load off the knee and supports it.  Gotta happen!!!

• Posted

I am 12 weeks and still have pain. I also have a big clicking noise in my knee. This is a long haul but it does get better with time. My pain isn't half as bad as it was the first few weeks. I also still get stiff especially at night. I wish you well and just keep coming to this board...it does help to share with others.

• Posted

Clicking, popping, clunking...whatever.  Could take 12-18 months to resolve or never go away.  Personally, I think I'm stuck with it but it's only been 11 months.  If I am, it's a small price to pay for walking without pain.  Who cares about the noise...

• Posted

yes popping knee is normal clunking and clicking is normal pain swelling little sleep at night is normal very hard physio not normal if it hurts stop ice meds and elevation make it part of your life for the next 6-12 weeks till the knee is not so warm on your hand do some walking and steps but not to overdo it your body will tell you stop! then stop and rest regards danie61

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.