3 year long prostate problem, any ideas on how can I be cured?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Sorry for the long post!

Hey everyone, I want to share my health problem with you because I desperately want to find a cure (fyi: if I have BPH/prostate inflammation, I know it's really hard to cure).

I'm 24 now, and It all started 3 years ago, when I felt a strange stirring in my testicles, and when the next day I found myself hard to pee and during peeing I felt a burning feeling in my urethra.

I thought it was no big deal, since I didn't had a sex life at all before (I was introverted), so it would pass soon. I didn't went to a urologist to check it out. After 6 months, the burning feeling during peeing subsided but the difficulty to pee stayed, so I went to check it out.

My 1st and 2nd urologist checked for cancer in my testicles/prostate area with ultrasound examination and with hand and they found nothing. During health examination, they sad that my prostate is in a healthy size. They checked my urine, pre-fluid for any bad signs and STD's but it's healthy. 

I went back to my 2nd urologist because I got pneumonia and I had to take anti biotics, and when I took them on the first day, the second day I could pee before I had this prostate problem. I told this to my doctor and he said I have to undergo a 2 week long antibiotic treatment, which helped nothing (I took the same AB when I had pneumonia).

After this, he told me to take alpha-receptors for a week, with the same results (nothing).

He told me then to take vitamin E, cranberry, pumpkin seed/oil, POLLSTIMOL-CERNIL (it's for prostate) and drink 3 times a day smallflower hairy willowherb (which I still do).

After a year, I stopped buying these, except for the herb, because it didn't help at all and it was really pricey, so I went to my latest urologist.

He checked everything again and everything was fine until he asked me to tell him if it hurts when he massages my prostate (and it did very badly, it feels like burning when he massages it). He told me I have 'prostate inflammation' and prostate massage could help.

It didn't relieved at all, and I stopped going to him too.

I lost my trust in them and I'm completely hopeless now.

I know it's hard to impossible to cure but I'm not even sure now that this is the cause of my problem.

If you have any advice which helped you (massage, treatments, medicines, etc.) I'm interested to hear them.

To summarize my problem:

-difficulty to pee, has to completely be relaxed, can't force pee out (no burning feeling)

-leakage after peeing

-during prostate massage the burning feeling returns, and it's is really painful to me

-when I pee it feels like there is still some urine left in my urethra, and I can't force it out, I have to clench my muscles to push it out

Medicines/vitamins I took:

-alpha 5 receptors

-3 types of antibiotics

-1 year long taking of: cranberry, pumpkin seeds, vitamin E-s, various prostate medicines, smallflower hairy willowherb tea

-prostate massage for 1 month (1 occasion/week)

Everything helped nothing and I hope you have some ideas on how can I be cured.

Thank you in advance!

Peter

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Some of the symptoms you mention (delay in peeing) are a problem for us older men (I have 50 years more than u) and my urologist says it is not uncommon at my age.  Little comfort to U but puzzling why U have it at your age.

Burning feeling (like a sort of male cystitis) occurs if I don't drink enough and can be cured, I find, by rubbing 1% hydrocortisone cream into the tip of your penis.

• Posted

I'm not a medical professional, but it sounds like you have prostatitis - did you get intravenous antibiotics ever? Apparently prostatitis can be resistant to antibiotics so they have to try different ones.

Did you try anti-inflammatory NSAIDs ? That might provide some relief.

Did you ever try intermittent self catheterization? if there are infections that might help flush out stale urine. Especially if you feel full all the time and have to push, this can provide some relief and help you sleep at night.

I would forget about all the so called natural remedies like pills etc. Mostly BS in my opinion, preying on desperate people. Try and find yet another Urologist maybe?

good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your fast answer!

@alanatcroydon

Yes sadly I know, today the pharmacist told me this is really uncommon and strange at my age.

"Burning feeling (like a sort of male cystitis) occurs if I don't drink enough and can be cured, I find, by rubbing 1% hydrocortisone cream into the tip of your penis."

I drink plenty of water today and eat healthy all day (no soda/fast food at all). 

I might try that cream, thank you!

@mike588

"I'm not a medical professional, but it sounds like you have prostatitis - did you get intravenous antibiotics ever? Apparently prostatitis can be resistant to antibiotics so they have to try different ones."

No, I've never got intravenous antibiotics, only in forms of pills.

"Did you try anti-inflammatory NSAIDs ? That might provide some relief."

Also a no here, I'm going to try this out too.

"Did you ever try intermittent self catheterization? if there are infections that might help flush out stale urine. Especially if you feel full all the time and have to push, this can provide some relief and help you sleep at night."

My last urologist told me about a technique to do when this happens: you just have to put your finger at the base of your urethra (near your anus), and pull your finger upwards to your scrotum. This way you push out the urine from there

"I would forget about all the so called natural remedies like pills etc. Mostly BS in my opinion, preying on desperate people. Try and find yet another Urologist maybe?"

Yes I agree, I won't buy those again.

I'm going to dig up a new urologist soon probably.

Thank you again!

• Posted

>My last urologist told me about a technique to do when this happens: you just have to put your finger at the base of your urethra (near your anus), and pull your finger upwards to your scrotum. This way you push out the urine from there<<

You're the only person I've seen on this message board that mentioned that..  There was a time right after I realized I was retaining 400 - 500 ml of urine even after a natural void that I had a small amount of success emptying by using this.  Actually I could only get a few small squirts out but that was an improvement at the time.  This was a drop in the ocean though of what my bladder was holding.  JimJames also talks about some technique that he used to push on the abdomen in some fashion to help the bladder to empty.  The weird thing about BPH for me - and like most on here I'm 40 years your senior - is that the urge to pee disappears.  At least it did for me.  I could be retaining 500 ml and, even though I'd get urges at that point, I could never come close to emptying but I wouldn't feel any urge until I got back up to @400 ml retained.  

• Posted

I would suggest you try to get an appointment at Mayo or Cleveland clinics or at a large medical school hospital. Sounds like your local doctors are not able to solve your problem.
  • Posted

Peter,

I had burning when urinating when I was 22 years old, I am 69 now.  The urologist diagnosed it as prostatitis he did a prostate massage and collected discharge on a microscope slide.  From that he selected an antibiotic which I took while coming back once a week for prostate massage over 4 weeks. The symptoms went away in a couple weeks.

At the time I was drinking alot of beer on the weekends, and alot of coffee, 6 cups per day, during the week. The Urologist thought the beer had something to do with it. He said the bacteria use it as food.  I was not doing any sex or orgasms of any kind at that time because I had just moved to a new location for a job.  As a guess, it may have been a lack of sex activity that brought to on, but don't really know.  Also had the stress of moving away from home for the first time, and a new job.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for their time to read my issue and share your methods! I’m really grateful!

@thomas37368

The drink 2-3 cups of coffee per day, I’m going to cut it lower.

I love drinking beer, but I’m not drinking thath mich. However, I’m going to stop drinking bee for a month or two to see how it affects me while I get my prostate massaged.

@brian34488, hank1953

Thanks for your answer, I’m going to check for the prices, but honestly the 3 of them already checked for any bad signs. sad

I’ll definitely look into it!

@changejobs

When the latest urologist massaged my prostate he couldn’t collect any  fluid, because there wasn’t any.

Only the first and second doctors checked it.

• Posted

Hi a cheap option would be to get an ultra sound which only takes a minute or two they put it on your stomach and a little lower you don't have to be naked, that's how I found I had an enlarged median lobe blocking my bladder valve etc.

• Posted

You may have retention. Ask your urologist to give you an ultrasound of your bladder, to see how much urine is left after you urinated. Hank
  • Posted

peter,

thomas make a good point regarding prostate massage and finding a urologist to do it and get the fluid tested. even if the fluid comes back negative, you would be surprised how weekly prostate massages can help .

• Posted

Hi Peter,

Can understand your predicament at such a young age. 

Let me give u my two bits..

Generally P prob. start frm age 50 upwards , so it is little suprising that in yr case at has started at age 21.

Trust you have done your PSA test and checked whether it is within limits. If it is outside limits you might have to do further tests.  Also, it helps to do an ultrasound of abdomen area to determine the size of the prostrate gland and monitor the same periodically. (atleast once in two years).

I too have been having BPH since last four years , but discovered it during ultrasound examinations during health checkup when the urine retention was found to be high.

I have been under medication since,  taking tamsulosin hydrochloride 400 mcg - 1 capsule every night. This helps to relax the prostrate , thereby increases the flow and better evacuation. I understnd that there is a combination formulation with another drug 

Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar)

Dutasteride (Avodart)

which helps to reduce the size of the prostrate too (but I have not tried it). But again you will have to take doctors advice before starting any medication.

I have also started on homeopathic medicine from my regular homeopath and reduced tamsulosin to once every alternate day. Thankfully it seems under control, though urge to get up at night continues.

It also helps to have barley (boiled in one cup of water) every day . It improves evacuation. 

Also, i feel you need to defocus on your problem. More you think about it, it causes anxiety and stress and that could aggravate the problem.

Hope this helps..

• Posted

Think carefully and research side effects of tamulosin.  Can reduce your sex life.  I have stopped taking it for that reason
    • Posted

The sexual effect of Tamsulosin, retrograde ejaculation, is temporary, and normal ejeculation comes back within a day or two of stopping.
  • Posted

None of the guys replying here have mentioned that, at your young age, the problem may well be just one of stress and anxiety.  A study showed that many men found relief from this problem by doing a series of exercises that are designed to relax the pelvic area.  Apparently men tend to get tension 'headaches' in their groin area while women tend to get them in their - er, head!!

Have a look at pelvic pain disorder sites - there is one based in london called the pelvic pain clinic which has videos explaining what's going on and how to get relief. 

Beware of antibiotics. Some doctors will try to get you to take Cipro or similar for 4 weeks or so - this can give you a whole set of new problems - take a look at the fluoroquinolone antibiotic discussions on this site to see what I mean.

Drinking plenty (not booze) and a herbal drug called saw palmetto may be of benefit.  Look at your lifestyle and see if you have any stress triggers that might be doing it.  Good luck

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your fast and helpful response, I’ll try to change some things in my lifestyle and go to a new urologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.