3 years on

Posted , 10 users are following.

Here I am 2 years on after my hip replacement and still going strong. Doing so much more than I have been doing for many years.. The only thing I do sometimes struggle with is getting on my knees to garden. Annoying but a little at a time gets me there. I can still pull the weeds faster than they grow.

It has been a journey and still is, but hey it was a journey worth taking, up hill and down dales, emotions all over the place, lots of frustrations but you know every one is worth it. You just have to take your time, listen to your body and accept that you will get there eventually.

Love to everyone past and present on this wonderful site. Especially to Renee who has the biggest shoulders anf love for everyone on here. ((((big hug)))))))) for Rennie.

Love Gill xxxxx

6 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gill

I'm waiting for the patient transport as I type to go in and get it done tomorrow. Absolutely petrified. I feel like I'm taking myself to the gallows !!!! And yes Renee is fabulous.best wishes for your continued recovery.

• Posted

Angela all the best for tomorrow, I know exactly how your feeling, but please believe me when I say you won't regret it. I was on cloud nine 3 hours after having it done. Able to stand up straight for the first time in years and be pain free.... of course you will worry (you wouldn't be human if you didn't) but you will feel great afterwards. Take a step at a time and don't be rushed, you will get to know your body better than you have ever done, and it will tell you exactly what you need to do.

See you on the other side  xxxx

• Posted

Thank you for that I know it's for the best as l have no life right now. I'm secretly excited for my future.

• Posted

Angelaa, sending you hugs and my prayers for a wonderful, uneventful surgery AND getting your life back! For 4 months and 1 week, I was unable to walk without a cane AND a major limp. Now, 1 week after surgery (today) I am able to walk with no limp AND no walking device. The operation is phenomenal and I'm sure you will be on this thread acknowledging that as well! Best of luck to you!!

• Posted

Angela, the thought of not walking with a limp and holding onto a cane, for me, was the only reason I had this surgery. Anything else that it would enable me to do would be be gravy! This surgery is unbelievable!!! And you will realize it tomorrow shortly after your procedure is over! You have every right to be excited!
    • Posted

What good news. I was the same so it can be all good<G>

Take care that you avoid crowds where there is danger of being tripped up which could cause you leg to be twisted which obviously would be very bad!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Gill, you are truly an inspiration to us all! I will read, and reread, your post often as I begin my rehab towards self-reliance. Keep up the incredible force that motivates you  and let us know as you reach more milestones (even after 2 years) ! Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Shelley thank you for your kind words, but if you read some of my past posts, I have done some stupid things on the road to recovery smile but thankfully none that have set me backwards. smile the motivation comes from doing things that you have had to say no to in the past now you will be saying I'll try... you will be elated when you can ......

• Posted

Gil, we are HUMAN! Everybody makes mistakes. Thank goodness none of your booboos is permanent! Continue on the road to recovery...:-)
  • Posted

Gill

Glad you are doing well. And aren't you so right Renee is a sweetie always sending hugs to everyone.

Mike

• Posted

HI Michael, I am doing well, there are so many things that I couldn't do, and Renee sent me hugs and love, she is a person with a great big heart, full of encouragement and love. xx

• Posted

Dear Gill

I wonder if you have tried using one of those gardening stools to help you down to a lower level then making the final move onto your knees.

Btw it was nice to be able to see something about you in your profile.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard, yes I do have a gardening stool and Alan has fitted me with some extra foam too so it does help a little, it's the length of time I can stay down that isn't very good.... thanks about the profile, I personally think everyone should put something in there, I think it helps.xx

• Posted

Dear Gill

Ah I understand but how is the getting up?

Yes I really do believe that it does help to know something about the people we are sharing our experiences and concerns with. I tend to click on the poster if I don't already know them so as to make my reply more meaningful if possible.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hello Stranger!

Lovely to hear your updates, it is nice when people come back on and talk about their lives and how they are!

So happy you are feeling so well and enjoying your life - your messages were very inspirational when I was waiting and during the surgery - and I can't believe it is 2 years????!!!!! Time flies when you are having fun!

I am one year on and really feeling very well, at the gym most days, running around after little ones, it is great. I am not great and getting up and down from the floor, I look rather ungainly (I thought it was just me!) but small price as you say.

Big hugs and I hope you enjoy many more of your walks and hikes

Love Rose x

• Posted

Hi Rose,

Thought it was time I gave an update, don't post much too busy enjoying my new found life smile but I still have it all delivered to my in box. How are your children, not sure I could have coped like you did, but then I suppose age comes into it abit. So pleased your well on the way to recovery, yep still walking, gardening and knitting have also bought myself an under desk bike, so pedal for 10 minutes if I can't get out. (((((( hugs)))))))))

• Posted

You still make me smile! smile Your pedal bike is a great idea and will keep you as fit as a fiddle for the long walks you love to do up mountains and hills!

I must admit I don't post very much now, I can not find the time at the end of the day now life is back to normal. I do still post time to time, so we were lucky to cross paths again! This forum gave me so much hope and support, I think I will always come on time to time.

My girls are really good, much better now they have a mother with two legs! I am not sure how I did it either, I look back and think how did I not crash the car!!!!! I remember pressing the brake and nothing happening!!! Narrowly missed someones beautifully planted border in the garden - I had to drive up to a toddler stool at just the right angle just to be able to get out of the car again!! It is funny now, we look back and laugh at those hideous moments, I am not sure my husband has EVER recovered from the toilet visits though - they were very undignified!!!!!!!!!!

Do stay in touch - enjoy every well earned moment of that new life - all the very best to you and Alan x

• Posted

oh Rose ... you were so miserable at that time and so afraid ... additional challenges were put up as well - and look at you now - well, actually right after the surgery ...

we kept our sense of humor though - 

I believe in Guardian Angels and ours were just making over time to keep us safe ....phew ...

angel blessings

• Posted

Yes I was the epitome of misery for a while....I learnt that fear is harder to overcome than anything else....it has the capacity to strip out your courage, rationality and reasoning powers. 

BUT we got there!!! All of us pretty much....not the straight road to dancing on tables we all envisaged perhaps....not the straight road to anywhere at all in fact.....but all things pass...and don't you just love that saying. All things pass. Like clouds gently passing and at some point the sun returns, even to the most beleagued at the lowest point, we open our eyes and the sunshine is there.

A sense of humor - gosh what we would do without it....the journey is a humbling experience.....I often wonder if everyone feels forever changed by their THP or whether it is just me?

Even now, I still talk about it, I still think about it all the time. It has lessened over time, it is not all consuming, but still a huge part of my life, other operations have been quickly forgotten...this is one thing we can never forget....maybe it is because I have another one to go...and as the months pass and it plays up...maybe once you have the second hip replaced you completely forget about both?? Would love to know  xx

• Posted

You are so right Rose smile I still fel a little vulnerable at times, and my confidence was sapped. Things that never bothered me in the past seemed to loom large at first, Time heals. You say you don't forget, but I have to say I had to go into hospital with a bout of my AF, and I actually forgot to tell them I had had a hip replacement 12 months previous, yet I reeled off all the other ops I had had. Felt such a prat when they questioned me about it smile.  Do you know when you habve to habve the other one done?xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.