30 days post PKR - much better

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi again everyone - today was my 30th day post PKR and I'm doing so much better. I'm hoping to never go through this again and feel for people who are going to do other knee. Anyway, PT hurts, but. I have been pushing myself.  The PT was so happy because my ROM is already 130.  It hurts to get there but I can do it. The knee still feels heavy, like there is a weight attracted to it. It's painful but not like it was for first 3 weeks. I was told to work hard at rebuilding my quad because it's very weak. Any suggestions? I'm not using a cane, but really anxious about falling. Sometimes during PT it feels like my knee is locking up or just really fatigued. I'm not sure, but it scares me. Did this happen to you?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 13 weeks out TRK and am on my way to Panama Canel cruise. What have I done. Out of the blue I started getting a sharp pain on the side of the new knee. It's making it hard to step and almost fills like the old pain before surgery. I am using a wheelchair like Therpy told me to but what have I done to cause this new pain?

I still do the exercises and stretches but the laying on my chest hanging my knees off the end of the bed is also giving me that pain. I hate using the wheelchair but not sure what else to do at this point. Will be on the ship for 15 days.

• Posted

Hi Shirley - you are really having a tough time. Hopefully, the water has a therapeutic effect for you. I just have to look at the ocean and I feel better. Stay safe and positive, if you can. It can only get better (hopefully).

Take care!

~Sandy

• Posted

If you are using a static bike, set the saddle as high as you can, that way you are bending you knee but just using your toes on the pedals.  Once you have done a couple of revolutions you should be able to lower the seat a notch, then start again, do as many as you can, then lower the seat.  Do this until you are at the correct height.  Doesn't have to be done in the same session.  Keep using your cane if you need it.  I found out the hard way that my new knee is actually very stable.  Once you get you head round that, your confidence will come back. At this stage you will still tired now and then, it is normal. Concetrate on your quads. With your leg flat on the floor/bed/sofa try lifting your foot off the floor. At this stage you don't need weights. Bend your knees as often as possible as you need to stop your scar from healing and tightening. When your leg was replaced and

sewn up, they would have given it a real going over, they would have bent it, straightened it a good few times, to make sure it was working properly. Thats why post op they give you such a hard time.  Do not be impatient, take your meds, do your exercises and stay happy.  When you are out and about;hang onto someones arm, until you are comfortable. I promise you though, your leg will be mmore stable tha out think.  You still have a long ways to go, but do not give in

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.