31 and going to need HRT.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I'm waiting to get a date for a radical hysterectomy due to cancer being present. My gynae consultant mentioned HRT but I know very little about it, does it totally stop the change or will it just lessen symptoms? Any advice on taking this would be great fully received. Xxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Gilly and so sorry you having to go through all of this. HRT should postpone the menopause and because of your age I suppose your consultant will consider it's the best thing for you as I presume you will be having your ovaries removed as well. Years ago when I started to take it the thought was that if you took it until it was considered you would have normally have gone through the menopause you could stop it and have no menopausal symptoms. We now know this isn't true so as I started to take it at 36 I am now gradually reducing it. I am now 61. It is something you will have to carefully consider but I do not know how I would have coped without it. Hope everything goes well for you and take care.
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply, it's given me something to think about, I didn't know I had the option not to take HRT, I was just going to take it because I was told to. Now I will go and research it better. X
  • Posted

Hi, I am a doctor. The current advice is that you should have HRT until you are 50 an dlonger if it suits you. Having no female hormones from an early age is a big risk factor for osteoporosis and maybe heart disease. Good luck with all the treatment x
    • Posted

That is what I have been trying to say in previous posts. I started to take HRT when I was 36 for those reasons primarily on the advice of my GP and gynaecologist. I'm now 61 and gradually reducing the doseage. If there are no contraindications I cannot see why there should be any problems.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, my consultant said I would need it but never went into detail. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.