35yo getting THR after several PAOs. Would love to comment with other young patients.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I’m a 35 year old woman getting a posterior THR on my left hip next Monday. I’ve had several operations on the hip I am having replaced (including 2 PAOs) as I have dysplasia. I’d love to hear from other women (or men) my age who have had PAOs to ask how you’ve got on. Comments from all ages welcome too, of course! I’m nervous about having my screws removed and the effect on my right hip during recovery. I’d also love to hear how you managed work and other commitments. Thanks so much. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am 40, and own a landscape company, I wore out my hip, from football, power lifting and using my foot with steel boots as a hammer for 25 years. I don't know (PAOs) but my mistake was doing to much in the first 10 days. I had a major swelling event that was really bad. I had to lie on my back for a week with leg in the air at 45*s to reduce swelling. So my advice to you is relax the first 2 weeks, do as little as possible! Keep leg elevated with lots of ice, and watch movies in bed. The surgeon, didn't know if I over did it by a car ride or me being to aggressive in PT. But he told me about 1 in 50 patients swell and he has no idea why. I had posterior thr right side, I am at 12 weeks, and I am now working with my crew lightly again, and I can drive my big tractor trailer.

I should have listened more to people on this site, that said, hey relax, its major surgery. You feel great, and for me who works non stop, it was rough trying not to get back at it to fast. Its very interesting the different feelings you get along the way. new pains at first, weakness, depression, Cut your toe nails as short as possible day before surgery! smile

• Posted

Dear Hannah

I love your very practical suggestion to cut your toenails before the surgery...great suggestion!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hi Hannah,

?I'm 43 and having a posterior THR on my left hip next Thursday. I have bilateral hip dysplasia. I recently had an arthroscopy to reattach the labrum which was apparently successful but in reality just changes the pain and made me limp. I'm worried about whether the limp will go after the surgery as that has made my knees ache and my other hip a little too. My right hip will need to be replaced eventually but isn't as sore as my left although, my surgeon said that when I start walking (gosh I hope that happens!) it may start hurting as it hasn't been tested for so long. I'm a teacher and have given myself 2 extra weeks and the summer holidays (8 weeks altogether) to recover. I live on my own and am a little worried about how I'll cope. Keep in touch.

Kind Regards and good luck,

Kirrilly

• Posted

Wow, good luck! It is all a bit nerve wracking.  You sound similar to me- I will need a hip replacement on my right hip eventually too, and definitely get knee and hip pain as a result of the problems with my left hip. I’m lucky as my husband will be helping me. My surgeon is so blasé though! He seems to think I’ll be fine and dandy and mainly plays down everything. I am working at 6 weeks- hopefully that’ll be ok!!! Let me know how you are and what’s worrying you. Can you get someone round to help at all? 

• Posted

HI Hannah,

?How did your THR go? I'm 5 days down and feeling great. I'm quiet independent now and on crutches. I can walk around the hospital easily and am doing my PT exercises 3-4 times daily. I go to rehab today so am quite excited for the next step. FIngers crossed things are going just as well for you.

Regards,

Kirrilly

• Posted

Hi Hannah,  I was 30 when I had my first hip replacement before that I had a pin and plate holding me together.  Recovery was slow and I struggled feeling down (& 90yo) when I should have been out enjoying myself.  Listen to the doctors and don’t try to do too much even if you feel like you can.  Invest in some dry shampoo as I struggled leaning over the bath to wash my hair. Also you can get black compression stockings which are a lot easier to disguise when going out! I had an office job and went back on a phased return, if you can then do it because you will be amazed at just how tired you become.  Oh and invest in a little backpack 😁 good luck x

• Posted

This is all great. Black stockings is a great idea! How long did you have to take blood thinners? And did you wear the stockings for the full 6 weeks? I’m a bit likely I push myself and am supposed to be back at work (on a project, I’m freelance) at 6 weeks. I will have an assistant and support so hopefully I’ll be ok. I’m already a dry shampoo addict, so already have a stash! 
    • Posted

As I got more mobile I wore the stockings less but always wore them at night as I found it helped ease some swelling round my ankles (I still do it now on bad days).  Don’t put too much pressure on yourself otherwise the bad days will feel really bad as opposed to just an off day.  I can’t remember how long I had the thinners for but I had tablets rather than injections as I’m a bit needle phobic, you’d think I’d be used to them by now!  Do you have people at home to help you for the first few days after the op? Also select a box set for those evenings when you just can’t sleep.  When is the op? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.